Thread: Zen talks

Zen talks

Hi,
    When at work, I usually go for a walk at lunchtime, sometimes alone, and when so I like to listen to dharma or zen talks.
    There are so many out there, in Upaya or Audiodharma, etc. and I wanted to ask you if you know any of particular interest for us here at Treeleaf, regarding Ango, Jukai, Sewing, Precepts, Zen, etc.

Many thanks

Gassho,
    Walter.
    Gassho,Walter

Hi Walter

Actually, I just found a number on the precepts at Norman Fischer's Everyday Zen site which I plan on listening to. His whole Study Guide is full of excellent talks, in my opinion:

http://www.everydayzen.org/study-guide/precepts/ (scroll down for talks)

San Francisco Zen Centre also has good talks: http://www.sfzc.org/zc/display.asp?c...,10&pageid=440

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thanks Andy.

In fact, searching this forum I found one of your posts, last year, about Norman Fischer talks on Dogen. I started to listen but found it kind of "difficult" for me. Maybe I'll have to try them again later and instead have a look at (and listen to) these talks you are mentioning here.

Thanks again.

Gassho,
    Walter.

Edit: I started to listen again to those talks on Dogen, because I was on the subway and hadn't data access. They're not so difficult as I thought.
    Perhaps I'm a little afraid of facing Dogen...
    Last edited by Daiyo; 09-10-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Gassho,Walter

Thanks guys,

Good idea.

Gassho
    C

Hi Guys,

We were supposed to put together some listings of good podcasts and Dharma Talks online for our library, but it has never been done. This thread has inspired to get that moving.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Right now i am listening to the series "Revealing Nagarjuna" by John Dunne, on Upaya's website. It is all about shunyata or emptiness, and it is really great.

A podcast list would be awesome! I listen to a couple of podcasts regularly in addition, of course, to the talks here.

I really like Zen Mountain Monastery (wzen.org) and Upaya Zen Center. I like having a well-rounded approach to Zen: the former having a different take on practice (they combine Soto and Rinzai) than the latter which is a Soto group, but all the same path in the end I suppose.

I also think it's important not to listen to too many of these things, and I think my heart must remain here. It's tempting to want to taste every soup that is laid on the table, but then you can never fully enjoy a soup. What I'm saying is that this is my primary soup and tasting other soups can give me ideas on how to improve this soup's flavor and can enrich the soup, but if I go overboard, my palate will stop functioning and the soup will no longer be edible. My wife says my metaphors are completely off the mark, and I have to agree. hahaha I don't quite know how to articulate what I'm saying.

Anyway I'm just rambling, per my norm. lol

Gassho,

Risho

Quote Originally Posted by Ugrok View Post
    Right now i am listening to the series "Revealing Nagarjuna" by John Dunne, on Upaya's website. It is all about shunyata or emptiness, and it is really great.
    Great!

Many thanks Ugrok.
    I'll add it to the list.

Gassho,
    Walter.
    Gassho,Walter

Risho, I get what your saying (and greatly appreciate your ramblings!) but most of the soup on offer at Upaya, SFZC and Everyday Zen seems pretty similar to the Soto soup we get here (ZMM may be different with their Rinzai/Soto mix). The seasoning may be slightly different but the underlying ingredients are pretty much the same otherwise and it has a very recognisable taste.

Within reason I find that the more soup I have, the more nourished I feel. It is not just about improving understanding but listening to dharma talks inspires me to practice. Of course, the amount of soup we can eat before feeling slightly sick differs from person to person.

Have I done your metaphor to death yet?

Gassho
    Kokuu

ps. when I am feeling better I would happily help to compile a list of podcasts on different topics. I think this would be a very worthwhile exercise and maybe we could categorise the book list in a similar way much as Everyday Zen have done for their study guide?

Kokuu ... you are hired (when you feel better)! I hereby appoint you our Official Treeleaf Pod-brarian!

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo

Thank you! I would so love to do that!

Gassho
    Kokuu

I also find podcast talks inspiring to listen to as well as informative. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Kokuu, congratulations!!!

ps. The irony that I am actually eating soup as I read this is hard to miss.

Gassho
    C

Hi All,

Here are my 3 favorite podcasts. All can be subscribed through iTunes.

Ancient Dragon Zen Gate - Talks by Taigen Dan Leighton at Ancient Dragon Zen Gate in Chicago:

http://www.ancientdragon.org/dharma/dharma_talks_audio

Zencast - Talks from the Insight Meditation Center in California. They practice Vipassana, but the talks are wonderful nonetheless. Mostly talks by Gil Fronsdal and Andrea Fella, but many others as well:

http://www.zencast.org/

Thich Nhat Hanh Dharma Talks - The Venerable old Master still gives a weekly talk of between 1 - 2 hours:

http://tnhaudio.org/

Gassho
    Lisa

Nindo
    I also listen to WZEN.org and Upaya.
    I thought that this one on WZEN was really helpful: How to Be a Student

Posted on Friday, August 8th, 2014

Hi.

Treeleaf also has an great podcast, it has been dormant for a year, but hjopefulle we get it updated and going with all the talks done by the Priests of Treeleaf soon...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

I like The Secular Buddhist. A lot of different things going on, and the episodes are not always strictly about Buddhism.

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Jundo

Thank you! I would so love to do that!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    This would be a really helpful resource Kokuu - I always end up noting suggestions on scraps off paper which I then lose.

Thank you !

Gassho

Willow

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen View Post
    Hi.

Treeleaf also has an great podcast, it has been dormant for a year, but hjopefulle we get it updated and going with all the talks done by the Priests of Treeleaf soon...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    I was just thinking of this last week It would be great to be able to hear the wonderful teachings of Treeleaf wherever one goes. I spend way too much time in front of a computer and just to listen and reflect without the visual stimulae would be very nice. David (hopefully in a non-grasping way)

Eshu Martin has some gems here and there, through the zenwest podcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source