Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT & DISCUSSION: A New Structure for Treeleaf ...

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    The new website will focus solely on practice and study. Teachings will be available in French and English. There won't be a forum per see like in Treeleaf but space to positively contribute to teachings. Taikyo is going to start soon a seminar in Buddhist philosophy, Dainin, Myozan and I will teach on forms, and our clear intention is to offer daily sittings soon as well as retreats on line. Sewing will be central and I am planning to make vids on kesa sewing.
    Although I will act as a guiding teacher, and effectively teach in Teishos and vids, I will gradually invite teachers to emerge and I will take the back seat.
    Here, in the Hermitage, we practice tradition. Not tradition because it is exotic, but because we want to handle what had been given as is without any stain ( modern take, New Age, opinions or like here in Treeleaf, the search for simplicity and truth).
    Our way to practice simplicity is to totally surrender to tradition and understand its deep and real meaning.

Gassho

Taigu
    This is wonderful, Taigu. I look forward to it!! thank you

Gassho,
    Joyo

Hi Sam,

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    ... Forums is many-to-many. A quicker and more effective way to spread knowledge. The downside though with this way of spreading of knowledge is that some of it can be incorrect (advice given by students to other students sometimes can be inaccurate and misleading) and can affect the student negatively.

I would say, based on my experience of this Forum for so many years, that there is a certain collective Wisdom and Compassion of the group, and an amazing power of this community of individuals to offer their united Hearts, that often far far exceeds what the official "Teachers" or any one person might say. Almost every day, someone here steps in with guidance and good words (filled with ... because this is Zen ... the Wisdom between and free of words ) that far exceed my small talents and experience to do so for a certain suffering being, or provides some truth to the situation that I never would have noticed and was incapable of seeing. There are many "Teachers" here and we are all students of each other too (although some are newer to this Way than others, some members more experienced with varying talents and abilities, etc.). We have many gifted, insightful, caring people in this Sangha who have "been around the block" of life's ups and downs, and know the ropes of Zen Practice too, so are great at helping someone.

That being said, I believe it is my role to keep the Teachings here by the group on course, focused on Buddhist Teachings and Zen Practice, Sitting and Precepts in our Shikantaza way, to make sure we do not run off into all kinds of mental swamps and emotional wanderings from the Path into the mud, strange teachings distracting from Zen and Zazen, misleading tangents lessening Practice, etc., that are not in harmony with the direction of this Place. This is a Zen Sangha, focused on the Teachings of the Buddha and Old Ancestors, Dogen and other Teachers in the Soto Tradition, Shikantaza and the Precepts, the Compassion of Kannon and that Wisdom at the core of Words ... and the conversation must never wander off course from that. For all these years, we have somehow managed to stay focused. I jump in when I see things wandering away, or something seems misguided.

So, maybe I am like the Captain with his hand on the wheel and an eye on the map, keeping the keel in a good direction and making sure the deck is shipshape. But it is the whole crew who actually does the job of running the boat, tending the lines and keeping us sailing!

For some reason, it works around here! Unlike many "Buddhist/Zen" fora on the internet I have run across, I believe we do a semi-miraculous job here of both benefiting from collective insights AND staying focused on our Practice and pointed on course.

Also will we have a link from Treeleaf main page and/or as forums sticky to the new website? I think that will help the new website to gain more popularity over time.
    Yes. I just happened to be talking with Taigu about that yesterday, and it looks like Treeleaf's homepage will feature a link that will say something like this:

INTRODUCING 'BLUE MOUNTAIN WHITE CLOUDS HERMITAGE'

We are pleased to introduce our Friend and Brother Community, BLUE MOUNTAIN WHITE CLOUDS HERMITAGE, established by Rev. Taigu Turlur, offering Zen Practice with a greater emphasis on Traditional Forms, Soto Ritual and Ceremony, including Nyoho-e Kesa Sewing, Poetry and Art Practice, Koan study, all with (of course) social action and Shikantaza at the core. Participation is generally for more experienced students by invitation. Those interested, and with a resonance to the more Traditional in their Practice, should contact Rev. Turlur (EMAIL). Taigu writes, "Our way to practice simplicity is to totally surrender to tradition and understand its deep and real meaning." (LINK)

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-01-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

For some reason, it works around here! Unlike many "Buddhist/Zen" fora on the internet I have run across, I believe we do a semi-miraculous job here of both benefiting from collective insights AND staying focused on our Practice and pointed on course.
    Yes.
    Deepest bows to our wonderful Teachers and the whole Sangha.
    My gratitude for you all is far beyond words.
    Or even smileys

Gassho
    Lisa

Kantai
    Change is good, I'm happy to be part of this living sangha(s).

Gassho
    Kantai

Love the idea!
    I think is great to have tow flavors of Zen living and growing together. Feel very luckyto be a part of this Sangha.

Gassho.

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

As we sat at the table in Washington, face to face, I told Jundo something like this: "your way is to find the purest ritual in total simplicity, our way is to practice rituals to reach the heart of complete simplicity".

People wanting to practice with us are of course our guests and are more than welcome. Our next retreat in the real-virtual world will be held in Paris end of December for the the denpo ceremonies ( Myozan and Dainin will receive something already given). Soon we will, thanks to the dedication of Baizan Dokan expand the site and offer teachings and daily practice.

I think you can drop and practice with us anytime. Should you decide to sew a kesa, it is yet very important to seek the authorization of Jundo.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gassho

Taigu

The Dharma goes in all directions....great...thank you

Deep Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Life is change.
    Let's see how things develop.
    I am thankful for all the teachings here and wish Taigu all the best with his new endeavour.
    There is nothing that could be separated - different, yet the same.

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    As we sat at the table in Washington, face to face, I told Jundo something like this: "your way is to find the purest ritual in total simplicity, our way is to practice rituals to reach the heart of complete simplicity".

People wanting to practice with us are of course our guests and are more than welcome. Our next retreat in the real-virtual world will be held in Paris end of December for the the denpo ceremonies ( Myozan and Dainin will receive something already given). Soon we will, thanks to the dedication of Baizan Dokan expand the site and offer teachings and daily practice.

I think you can drop and practice with us anytime. Should you decide to sew a kesa, it is yet very important to seek the authorization of Jundo.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gassho

Taigu
    Thank you for this clarification - it all makes sense.

I like the new web site very much - the grounding philosophy is set out clearly and for myself I find this helpful. I had not come across the term 'Teisho' before Washington and it's good to see all the teaching videos within this section.

My very best wishes to Taigu, Myozin, Baizan, Taikyo, Jiken and Dainin, in this new venture,

Gassho,

Willow

One single cell divides into two and the community grows
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

This is very interesting (and exciting!). I seem to remember Jundo stating in the yearly announcements for the Treeleaf Jukai (and I'm paraphrasing) that it is not unacceptable to learn from different teachers, each offering their own insights that may help the student along their path. What a wonderful way to encourage this practice, as it can be difficult to physically wander from teacher to teacher with the responsibilities that so many of us have which keep us rooted in a single physical location. I have been fond of the teaching methods of both Jundo and Taigu and it will be exciting to see how this works to benefit the Sangha(s).

Gassho,
    Steven

WE ARE GROWING!!! Gassho!!!

Exciting news. Thanks, Jundo, for your detailed explanation. Reading that gives me a better understanding of Treeleaf, for which I am grateful. Thanks, too, to Jundo for his teaching. Gassho, Matt J

Nindo
    Jundo, I noticed that you removed Myozan's profile from the unsui section and not added the 3 new unsui. May I ask why? Above their avatars, they are still carrying the title "Treeleaf Unsui;, and at least for now, I think that is how most of us think of them. They may focus on this other group, but they are still our dear dharma brothers. Maybe a link from that sticky thread to the new website will do?
    Gassho,
    Nindo

Hi Nindo,

Since they will not be training here, they will not be included as "Treeleaf Unsui" for the future. However, they will be "Unsui at Treeleaf's Brother Sangha, the 'Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage'", and nothing will change about their ability to stop by here and join in the fun and festivities. They remain our dear friends and Dharma Brothers, no change in that regard for sure. They were each asked if they wished to train here or at both places, and all elected just to train at Blue Mountain with their Teacher, which seems natural.

I did include a link to the new website and an introduction up with Taigu's listing, and on our Homepage and there will be more links around here too.

http://www.treeleaf.org/about-treele...d-our-lineage/

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post50996

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-05-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Just a heads up: when I go to the link that Jundo published above on my iPhone, I see all sorts of BB code.

Pass it on to the site doctor.

Gassho,
    Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

Hi,

I have a question about the new structure. Are we sharing Ango together here, both Sanghas, or does the Hermitage have it's own? What about Jukai, will the Hermitage have it's own training and ceremony? I guess I am not clear on the extent of separation and alliance.

Gassho
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi,

I have a question about the new structure. Are we sharing Ango together here, both Sanghas, or does the Hermitage have it's own? What about Jukai, will the Hermitage have it's own training and ceremony?
    Hi Lisa,

I believe that Taigu will be organizing Ango and Jukai at Blue Mountain too (I do not think they are prepared to do so yet, but such is in the works as are all kinds of Zazen sittings, sewing circles and such).

http://www.bluemountainhermitage.org/

Of course, folks are welcome to undertake Ango and Jukai at Blue Mountain and here ... the more Ango and Jukai, the Merrier! Never too much sewing too! All Ango and Jukai are One, there is here and here is there!

I am not clear on the extent of separation and alliance.
    Like two brothers in one family. "Not One Not Two" is a better way of putting such in the Zen World!

We usually think that if something is not one,
    it is more than one; if it is not singular,
    it is plural. But in actual experience,
    our life is not only plural, but also singular."
    ~ Zen master Shunryu Suzuki
    Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-10-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Brothers and sisters. Many gates. One dharma. Thank you.

Anzan

I find this encouraging. I have been a bit distant lately as I've come to accept that, like Kirk, I'm just not a "robes and incense" kind of guy. Buddhism is protean. Count me among the "jeans and t-shirt" crowd. But I think the two groups can support each other. I would certainly be interested in Taikyo's seminar.

Looking forward to what greets us
    Gassho,
    Kaishin
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Feel much the same Kaishin, and it's good to see you around again!
    Gassho
    Heisoku.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12