Before settling in to the Soto tradition here at Treeleaf, I used to set aside a Uposatha / Upavasatha day on the weekend of the full moon. Uposatha practice takes a number of different forms in different countries and traditions, but the basic idea is that it is a day (a few times a month) to deepen and renew dedication to practice. For myself, it meant once a month, observing a day of silence, long sittings in the morning, work-practice during the day, and long sittings in the evening.

I always found it to be beautiful (observing noble silence while moving through the world is particularly touching), and feel drawn to renew it in my own life. After attending the retreat this month, I promised myself I would take it up again.

1. Is there anything analogous in our tradition? I am most familiar with the Theravada practices (laypeople taking precepts for the day, monks reviewing the Vinaya, etc.), but I understand that similar practices exist in some Mahayana traditions. Are there any analogous practices in the Soto way?

2. Regardless of historical precedent, is there any interest from others in the Sangha in practising some form of "mini-retreat" on a monthly basis? The obvious choice is to try to make it coincide with the monthly Zazenkai (perhaps either beginning or ending with the Zazenkai). I do not think it would have to be anything too elaborate or "organized". Examples could include simply a commitment to try to sit a little more, to try to connect with fellow Sangha members (sit in one or more hang-outs on G+ for example), observe a day of silence if personal circumstances allow, treat work for the day as samu, and check in with the precepts.

I would like to pick this practice up again, and would be delighted to join with others if interested.

Any feedback from the Sangha, our teachers, or Unsui would be most appreciated.

Gassho,
Sekishi