Thread: Heart Sutra (Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo) spanish translation

Heart Sutra (Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo) spanish translation

Hi folks, can those of you who speak spanish recommend one known good spanish translation of this sutra to chant?
    In the zendo we recite it in japanese. I do not dare to translate it from the English version we chant here since I'm afraid to miss something.

Thanks and regards.

Gassho,
    Walter
    Last edited by Daiyo; 08-26-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar error

Heart Sutra (Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo) spanish translation

I found a translation here:

http://www.zenguide.com/principles/s...tra&chapter=02

I speak only a little Spanish. Not fluent

Thanks Troy. I will add it to the other two I already have, and then compare to see which is best for chanting.

Gassho,
    Walter.

Walter,

Mucho gusto. Aqui hay una tradicion buena: http://granviacentral.wordpress.com/sutra-del-corazon/

Gassho,

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Gracias Khalil!

I should have remembered that blog.
    I know (we exchanged some mails) the priest running that blog, Tashi Nyima from the Jonang tibetan lineage.
    Sorry for the English, I didn't want to say all of that in spanish so as not to bother the other folks here.

Gassho,
    Walter

Walter,

No problem. I probably should not have written that in Spanish so my apologies to all. Yes, Tashi Nyima is a great lama and very helpful!

Gassho,

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Oh I know a good Spanish translation. Mine!

I wanted to have a translation as close as the English one we use here at Treeleaf.

This is what we'll use in our upcoming Spanish sitting group. I'll let you guys when we'll start.

Let me know what you think!

El Sutra de la perfección de la gran sabiduría

Avolokiteshvara bodhisattva, quien despertó
    al Prajna Paramita, la Perfección de la Gran Sabiduría *
    Percibió el vacío de las Cinco Condiciones
    y se liberó del sufrimiento.

O Shariputra, la forma equivale al vacío;
    el vacío equivale a la forma;
    la forma es precisamente el vacío, el vacío es precisamente la forma.

Las sensaciones, percepciones, formaciones y consciencia también son así.

O Shariputra, todas las cosas son expresiones del vacío,
    Nada nace, ni se destruye, nada se mancha, nada es puro;
    Nada se oculta, nada nace.

Por eso el vacío no es la forma; no hay sensación, no hay percepción, no hay formación, no hay consciencia.

No existen ojos, oído, nariz, lengua, cuerpo ni mente.

No existen los sentidos de la vista, oído, olfato, gusto, tacto, ni objeto mental;

No hay reino de la vista, no hay reino de la consciencia;

No existe la ignorancia, no existe el fin a la ignorancia;

No hay vejez ni muerte;

No hay cesación de vejez ni muerte;

No hay sufrimiento, no existe causa o fin para el sufrimiento;

No hay camino, no hay sabiduría y nada qué ganar.

Nada qué ganar, por ende los Bodhisattvas viven este Prajna Paramita*

Sin ningún obstáculo mental-
    Sin obstáculos el miedo se va.

Más allá del autoengaño, el Nirvana siempre ha estado aquí.

Todos los Budas pasados y futuros
    Viven este Prajna Paramita*

Y alcanzan la suprema y completa iluminación.

Por eso entiende que Prajna Paramita
    es el mantra sagrado el mantra luminoso,
    el mantra supremo, el mantra incomparable
    con el que el sufrimiento se va

Esto es la verdad
    Por ello entona el mantra de Prajna Paramita
    Entona este mantra y proclama *

Gate Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Bodhi! Svaha!
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyonin,

Very beautiful!

Gassho
    Lisa

Well done! I may just use your version when I recite it! Beautiul!

Gassho,

Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Very nice Kyonin!

I look forward to that spanish sitting group!

For some reason, I feel more comfortable reciting and chanting in spanish except for the Takkesage or the Hannya Shingyo in japanese.

I've translated the meal gatha, for reciting before lunch in a buddhist scout meeting/sitting I'll be coordinating next saturday.
    In the scouts every religion has its prayers and we buddhists were lacking one for the meals.
    Argentina is one of the few countries having buddhist scout although we are very few compared to God religions.

I think the meal gatha is universal, can be recited by anyone in any religion and it makes sense.

Gassho,
    Walter.
    Last edited by Daiyo; 08-26-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    Gassho,Walter

I love your translation Kyōnin.

Gassho, Jishin

Walter,

If you don't mind, could you share your transaltion of the meal gatha?

Gassho,

Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Sure Khalil.

Tomorrow I'll post it.
    I do not have it at home but in the office.

It is very short although

Gassho,
    Walter.
    Gassho,Walter

Nindo
    Awesome Kyonin! Sounds almost like Latin to me. Maybe someone can come up with a Latin version as well
    Why is mantra masculine, by the way? Doesn't mantra sagrada etc. sound better?

Gassho,
    Nindo

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi View Post
    If you don't mind, could you share your transaltion of the meal gatha?
    Hi Mike, here is my humble translation of the Meal Gatha.
    I've actually merged the Meal Gatha of the Treeleeaf Chantbook and the Gokan no ge found in the global sotozen website:
    http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/practice/sutra/pdf/03/a10.pdf

"Esta comida que vamos a recibir proviene del esfuerzo de numerosos seres.
    Reflexionamos si nuestras virtudes y praćtica son dignas de esta ofrenda.
    Consideramos la gula como obstáculo para la libertad de la mente.
    Agradecemos recibir la comida como nutrición y medicina para nuestra práctica.
    Ofrecemos sus virtudes y sabores al Buda el Dharma y la Sangha como a la vida en todos los reinos de la existencia.
    Que todos los seres estén suficientemente nutridos."

Since we (Scouts de Argentina) are an educational movement for kids and young people, I thought it would be worthy to include an invitation to reflect on the efforts (and sacrifices depending on the diet) that took place for bringing us that meal.
    Except for the line of the offeirng to the three jewels, it could be universal, any religion could say it with no "side-effects".
    I kept that line, however, because this is supposed to be a prayer for buddhists. I think it could be used by any buddhist tradition.

All your comments, corrections and suggestions will be appreciated.

Gassho,
    Walter.

Beautiful Kyonin, Gassho, David

Kyonin, yesterday I hadn't watched the video since tapatalk didn't show it.
    It watched it today and it sounds great.

May I use it next saturday with the buddhist scouts?

I have one good video, but this translation has many sanskrit terms.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaX7KnB90E
    It is recited by Ven. Bhikshu Zhihan, a chinese monk.

What i like best of yours is that you only say "Prajna paramita" in sanskrit.

And finally, below is the translation from the Fo Guang Shan Temple used in Vesak celebration in Buenos Aires Chinatown:

"Mientras el Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara practicaba la profunda prajna paramita,
    Se iluminó y observó que todos los cinco skandhas son vacíos, superando así todo sufrimiento y desgracia.
    Oh Shariputra, la forma no difiere del vacío y el vacío no difiere dela forma; la forma es el vacío y el vacío es la forma.
    Lo mismo es verdad para las sensaciones, percepciones, voliciones y conciencia.
    Shariputra, las características de la vaciedad de todos los Dharmas son: no surgen ni cesan; no son corruptos ni puros; no crecen ni decrecen.
    Por lo tanto en el vacío no hay formas; no hay sensaciones, percepciones voliciones o conciencia; no existe ojo, oído, nariz, lengua, cuerpo o mente.
    No hay forma, sonido, olor, color, gusto, textura u objeto mental; no hay campo de visión, ni campo de la conciencia.
    No hay ignorancia ni fin de la ignorancia; no hay vejez ni muerte, ni tampoco fin de la vejez y la muerte.
    No existe verdad del sufrimiento, de la causa del sufrimiento, de la cesación del sufrimiento, ni del camino. No hay sabiduría ni hay logros, porque no hay nada que se deba obtener.
    El Bodhisattva que confía en la prajna paramita no encuentra obstrucción mental; al no tener obstrucción, no siente temor.
    Se libera de la imaginación confusa y alcanza el supremo nirvana.
    Los Budas del pasado, presente y futuro confiando en la prajna paramita, han alcanzado la iluminación suprema.
    Por lo tanto, la prajna paramita es un mantra mágico, un mantra de la iluminación, un mantra supremo, un mantra inigualable, que verdaderamente puede eliminar todo sufrimiento.
    Y así pronunció el mantra de prajna paramita diciendo:

GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA"

Last edited by Daiyo; 08-27-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Great! Thank you Walter.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Kyonin, this is great!

What about a sticky thread somewhere?

Maybe even with other translations?

I worked something out with Nindo about a German version, but if a Treeleaf-aproved translation exists, I would really like to read it.

Maybe a whole collection of languages for our Sangha?

Thanks everyone,
    Gassho,
    Danny

Hi Kyonin,

My Spanish is a bit rusty, but might I ask about "la forma equivale al vacío"?

First, if "vacio" is something like "Void", such terms have gone out of favor in the Buddhist translation world for "Emptyness" for an overemphasis on being a "nothing there" void or vacuum. Emptyness is also an imperfect term, because "Emptyness is not empty" (nor full for that matter, yet both and everything between ). I sometimes use "the Dance of Wholeness" or such to try to express this (although not much better at expressing the ultimately inexpressible), but most of the time rely on "Emptyness"

Also, is "equaivale" something like the English "equivalent to", or equal to ... which may also miss some of the intimacy and singleness here. Form is no other than Emptiness ... form is precisely Emptiness.

Anyway, all words and word games. Such is the translator's life.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    My Spanish is a bit rusty, but might I ask about "la forma equivale al vacío"?

First, if "vacio" is something like "Void", such terms have gone out of favor in the Buddhist translation world for "Emptyness" for an overemphasis on being a "nothing there" void or vacuum. Emptyness is also an imperfect term, because "Emptyness is not empty" (nor full for that matter, yet both and everything between ). I sometimes use "the Dance of Wholeness" or such to try to express this (although not much better at expressing the ultimately inexpressible), but most of the time rely on "Emptyness"

Also, is "equaivale" something like the English "equivalent to", or equal to ... which may also miss some of the intimacy and singleness here. Form is no other than Emptiness ... form is precisely Emptiness.
    Hi Jundo,

When translating English into Spanish one has to consider, among other things, extension. Spanish is longer than English and takes a lot more space in characters and in words. I understand what you mean, but I thought I also had to consider that the Heart Sutra was to be chanted. I didn't want it to be huge and I also wanted the translation to be as close as the one you use on zazenkai.

Vacío means lack of or nothing inside. We also have the word vacuidad, which is vacuum. I used vacío because it's close to the meaning we want and easy to chant. I think.

Same goes for translating no other than, which I understand it implies it's the same as. Looking for a word for this I came to use equivale a (is equal as), which is easy to chant since it's only 5 syllables.

In any case, I'm not a professional translator and this translation can be modified at any time.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Awesome Kyonin! Sounds almost like Latin to me. Maybe someone can come up with a Latin version as well
    Why is mantra masculine, by the way? Doesn't mantra sagrada etc. sound better?
    Hi Nindo,

This is one of the common issues in Spanish for most of us and hard to understand. Even worse, it varies from country to country. I always try to speak and write as close as I can to what the Royal Academy or Spanish (Real Academia de la Lengua) says it's official.

So, how to know when to use la or el.

The official grammatical rule is:

We use el (male substantive) when the word is of Greek or foreign origin and ends with an -a. For example:

el sofá (the couch)

el pijama (the pijama)

el esquema (the scheme)

According to this, Sutra or Mantra are Sanskrit (foreign) and end with -a. Ergo, they are male substantives.

El Mantra

El Sutra

Oh man. I'm such a nerd. Hope I didn't bore you

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyonin,

I love this stuff too y me gusta que explicaste el dilema de la lengua pero olvidaste explicar porque la radio y la mano son femininas. Nerd power!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Nindo
    Interesting Kyonin! I don't think there is such a rule in German for foreign words. For example for "email" I have heard both feminine and neutrum.

I know it is exactly the same rule in Italian so it may be something that was directly derived from Latin.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

In Portuguese it would be "a" (feminine) mantra sagrada.

"O" (masculine) pijama.

"A" (feminine) cama.

"O" (masculine) sofa.

"A" (feminine) camisa.

"O" (masculine) esquema.

From the Romance languages, Spanish and Portuguese sound closest to my ears and the vocabulary is very similar. Italian sounds closest to Spanish to my ears and has similar vocabulary to Spanish and Portuguese. To my ears, French has a lot of nasal sounds like Portuguese but the vocabulary and grammar is the most different from the other Romance languages. It would be fun to compare translations of the heart sutra in the Romance languages. Thank you for the Spanish translations.

Gassho, Jishin
    Last edited by Jishin; 08-29-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Hi Jishin!

Yes! Romance languages have a lot in common. I was lucky to have a fantastic Latin teacher back when I was in high school. I learned the very basics of Latin so I can understand a bit of Portuguese, Catalá and Italian.

During our last retreat, Daisan didn't speak English, only French, but I could understand some of what he said. I was surprised about the similarities.

Oh and I was also surprised how beautiful French is! I might end up learning a little

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I have been re-learning my high school French with Duolingo. Pretty cool app if anyone is interested.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I have been re-learning my high school French with Duolingo. Pretty cool app if anyone is interested.
    Duolingo is great. It works on smart phones and on the internet. I am too lazy to work with it but I plan on having my 8 year old boy work with it in the near future. For now, part of his daily chores include working 20 minutes daily with the language software Rosetta Stone in spanish.

Gassho, Jishin

Here is the Italian version (Il Sutra del Cuore)

Il bodhisattva Avalokitesvara praticava la profonda Prajnaparamita [la saggezza suprema].
    In quel momento egli percepì che tutti e cinque gli skandha sono vuoti
    e fu liberato da tutta l'angoscia e la sofferenza.

Oh Shariputra, la forma non è altro che vuoto, il vuoto non è altro che forma;
    ciò che è forma è vuoto, ciò che è vuoto è forma (il primo skandha);
    ed è lo stesso per sensazione, percezione, formazione karmica e coscienza (gli altri quattro skandha).
    Shariputra, tutte le cose sono vuote apparizioni.
    Esse non sono nate, non sono distrutte, non macchiate, non pure;
    non aumentano né decrescono.
    Perciò, nella vacuità non c'è forma, né sensazione, né percezione, né formazione karmica, né coscienza;
    né occhi, orecchie, naso, lingua, corpo, mente;
    né forma, suono, odore, gusto, tatto, oggetti;
    né c'è un regno del vedere,
    e così via finché giungiamo a nessun regno della coscienza;
    non vi è conoscenza, ignoranza,
    né fine della conoscenza, né fine dell'ignoranza,
    e così via finché giungiamo a non ci sono vecchiaia e morte;
    né estinzione di vecchiaia e morte;
    non c'è sofferenza, karma, estinzione, Via;
    né saggezza, né realizzazione.
    Dal momento che non si ha nulla da conseguire, si è un bodhisattva.
    Poiché ci si è interamente affidati alla Prajnaparamita,
    la mente è priva d'ostacoli;
    dal momento che la mente è priva d'ostacoli,
    non si conosce paura, si è ben oltre tutto il pensiero illusorio,
    e si raggiunge il Nirvana definitivo.
    Poiché tutti i Buddha
    del passato, del presente e del futuro
    si sono interamente affidati alla Prajnaparamita
    essi conseguono la suprema illuminazione.
    Perciò sappi che la Prajnaparamita è il grande mantra,
    il mantra più alto,
    il supremo incomparabile mantra,
    capace di placare tutta la sofferenza.
    Questo è vero.
    Non è falso.
    Perciò io esclamo il mantra della Prajnaparamita,
    esso dice:

Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate, bodhi, svaha!

Gassho,

Mike
    Last edited by Khalil Bodhi; 08-29-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Thank you Mike! Nice to see how the vocabulary is similar to Spanish and
    Portuguese. I bet that when read aloud it's even more understandable to Spanish and Portuguese speakers.

Gassho, Jishin

Jishin,

My pleasure. It would be nice to see the Portuguese version as well. What's interesting is that the translator chooses to make Prajnaparamita feminine. I guess they were just decided to render it that way because the Italian would be "la perfezione della saggezza." Thanks again!

Gassho,

Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

I didn't know we had a Sitting group in Spanish, please let me know when do you all meet. I live within ET, so I hope I can join. Gassho!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Oh I know a good Spanish translation. Mine!

I wanted to have a translation as close as the English one we use here at Treeleaf.

This is what we'll use in our upcoming Spanish sitting group. I'll let you guys when we'll start.

Let me know what you think!

El Sutra de la perfección de la gran sabiduría

Avolokiteshvara bodhisattva, quien despertó
    al Prajna Paramita, la Perfección de la Gran Sabiduría *
    Percibió el vacío de las Cinco Condiciones
    y se liberó del sufrimiento.

O Shariputra, la forma equivale al vacío;
    el vacío equivale a la forma;
    la forma es precisamente el vacío, el vacío es precisamente la forma.

Las sensaciones, percepciones, formaciones y consciencia también son así.

O Shariputra, todas las cosas son expresiones del vacío,
    Nada nace, ni se destruye, nada se mancha, nada es puro;
    Nada se oculta, nada nace.

Por eso el vacío no es la forma; no hay sensación, no hay percepción, no hay formación, no hay consciencia.

No existen ojos, oído, nariz, lengua, cuerpo ni mente.

No existen los sentidos de la vista, oído, olfato, gusto, tacto, ni objeto mental;

No hay reino de la vista, no hay reino de la consciencia;

No existe la ignorancia, no existe el fin a la ignorancia;

No hay vejez ni muerte;

No hay cesación de vejez ni muerte;

No hay sufrimiento, no existe causa o fin para el sufrimiento;

No hay camino, no hay sabiduría y nada qué ganar.

Nada qué ganar, por ende los Bodhisattvas viven este Prajna Paramita*

Sin ningún obstáculo mental-
    Sin obstáculos el miedo se va.

Más allá del autoengaño, el Nirvana siempre ha estado aquí.

Todos los Budas pasados y futuros
    Viven este Prajna Paramita*

Y alcanzan la suprema y completa iluminación.

Por eso entiende que Prajna Paramita
    es el mantra sagrado el mantra luminoso,
    el mantra supremo, el mantra incomparable
    con el que el sufrimiento se va

Esto es la verdad
    Por ello entona el mantra de Prajna Paramita
    Entona este mantra y proclama *

Gate Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Bodhi! Svaha!

Loved your version Kyonin!!! Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Ramos View Post
    Loved your version Kyonin!!! Gassho!
    Hi Ricky!

We still haven't started the Spanish sitting group yet. I'll let you guys know.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Ok, esperamos sentados
    Gassho
    Thank you for your practice