Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Consuming alcohol

Hello all,

this topic interests me very much. I started drinking a little bit of alcohol just two years ago. Some funny and drunken nights with friends full of embarassing moments followed, but I was never really into it. I see some people in my age who go to vacation to get drunk every single day. There seems to be no end. I was never really much of a drinker, I wasn't drunk that often, maybe 10 times in total. But then, in February, I discovered buddhism and stopped drinking alcohol completely. It wasn't hard as I wasn't much of a drinker anyway. I gained some surprised comments on why I cut it off completely, but my friends were very understanding. I don't care about the looks I get from a waiter/waitress ordering a glass of water at a bar. But now, reading all of your comments, I see that drinking a beer with friends doesn't have to be a bad thing at all. I guess I'll never drink more than 2 or 3 beers though, I don't really want to get drunk anymore as it's very easy for me to break the other precepts while having such a fuzzy mind.

It's interesting to see how the different buddhist schools see this precept. I know some buddhists, mostly theravadan, who are completely against it. Both views are neither good nor bad, but I prefer the one who feels more like the "middle way" to my monkey mind. Oh and sorry if my English sounds weird from time to time, I'm more used to read English than to write in it.

Gassho, Max
    #s@ttoday

Hi,

Alcohol is neither good or bad. It's just alcohol. Until you drink it. Then you find out.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Alcohol is okay for me as long as it stays a nice add-on to harmonic evening with friends or the icing on the cake for a (im)perfect dinner. You have to be aware what you do and not indulge/drown in the substance. I guess that goes for everything. With a bit more freedom in wording many posts here are valid for drugs less obvious, like smartphone usage, being online, gambling, heck, even Zazen if you start feeling miserable without sitting one day (when circumstances not allow). Then it's not by choice but an addiction.

I personally refrain from alcohol during/before work and practise as well as driving and usually stay sober for the better part of the week. When I drink it's only because I enjoy the taste of it and not beyond a level that I feel uncomfortable with or that indulges my mind too much. I want to know what I act and speak at any time.

The important part for me is to be sort of a role-model. Don't encourage others to drink, even when I think it's tasty. They should decide all on their own. Unless they had too much already, then by all means, stop them from having even more. Don't show it to kids or people who are by choice avoiding alcohol. It should go without saying that you shouldn't make others uncomfortable with your behavior. You wouldn't want the same vice versa.

Gassho, Fabian
    #justSat
    It's not about me. It's not about you. It's about us.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share something a friend sent me today. What do you think about this?

"A young man was discussing the precepts with Ajaan Fuang and came to number five, against taking intoxicants: "The Buddha forbade alcohol because most people lose their mindfulness when they drink it, right? But if you drink mindfully it's okay, isn't it, Than Phaw?"
    "If you were really mindful," he answered, "you wouldn't drink it in the first place.”
    Excerpt From: Ajaan Fuang Jotiko. “Awareness Itself.”

Gassho, Max

Hi Max!

I fully agree with this. But we'll come to this Precept and then I'll write why

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123