Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your retreat?

How was your retreat?

Hello All,

Anyone want to talk about your retreat experience? I was lucky, able to take some days off to sit along. I didn’t follow every minute live, but sat a lot and felt a nice sense of connection to the group. As a newbie to zen, this was a great experience. Such wonderful teaching and discussion. I thought it was neat to see the unsui practicing, going behind-the-scenes, so to speak. This made me curious to learn more about these things. Lovely to see our unsui being "priestly" in ritual, and to hear voices raised together in song, chanting, and laughter. (One suggestion, maybe we could invest in a microphone or two for the next time, to improve sound?) Thanks so much to all who worked so hard to make the retreat possible!

Through such prolonged sitting, I did have one major kensho, which was that I needed to take some stuffing out of my zafu. So that was valuable.

How was your experience of the retreat?

Gassho
    Lisa

I was checking in whenever I had some sitting and listening time. I wasn't able to join in for a whole day. However, I have been sitting a lot this week because of it and I feel pretty good. I want to thank everyone because, honestly, what would I be doing with myself if it weren't for Treeleaf's efforts?
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Kyotai
    I too came and went. Wonderful to experience even a small part of this event.

Gassho, Shawn

I'd like to thank everyone of the group that we were allowed to share some of their experiences, and the personal moments they shared with us. I myself imagine it being difficult having the webcam on me when practicing something new or talking about very moving life events.
    Deep bows.

I agree ce c'est dommage que the sound quality wasn't better - my brain adapted to teisho l'un jour, et l'autre I wasn't able to understand a *** word... well, to hear.
    Comprendre would be too much.
    What an amazing experience.
    Et apparament exactly what I need: please repeat every sentence of every teaching in translation.
    Plus de temps to let it sink in.

Gassho,
    Danny

I wasn't able to sit along due to schedules overlapping with taking kids to school, working, family tasks, etc.
    That made me feel disappointed, and with a sense of not fulfilling with the premises.
    I would have loved to have the opportunity to sit.
    But at home I sit earlier everyday, and in the local zendo, later, on mondays or wednesdays after work. In the middle is work time.

However I downloaded the teishos and am watching them on my way to work.
    Taigu has a unique style of teaching, I really enjoy his talks.

Gassho,
    Walter

The sound of the teishos was ok. I couldn't hear the oryoki or shukke. Deep bows to all participants.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The sound of the teishos was ok. I couldn't hear the oryoki or shukke. Deep bows to all participants.

Kind regards. /\
    Yes, I agree, the sound was tricky in parts. I was already making notes on what we can do in the future to improve that portion. Hopefully we'll have some kind of microphone(s) for the next "group" event like that.

Thankfully I was able to adjust my schedule a bit so I could tune in to the afternoon Teisho sessions and Shukke Tokudo. While I really wanted to be there, it was still great to be a fly on the wall.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Hello,

one word, awesome.

Dokan`s (and his family`s) hospitality are now legendary and the openness of the fellow Treeleafers was wonderful and inspiring. Shokai visiting was like Christmas.

Tired and happy,
    washington hotel room,
    all is well.

Shtack. (that`s an inside joke).

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Shtack! Lol

Gassho

Daido

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daido View Post
    Shtack! Lol

Gassho

Daido
    Agreed LOL! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I'm not sure I could find words to describe it. Awesome is certainly one of the words I would use. I will certainly never forget how amazing my fellow treeleafer's are. They were a continual inspiration.

To anyone on the fence about attending a retreat do it! Two thumbs up for sure.

Gassho,
    Nengyo

PS I've been home for a day now and I am still walking around singing the meal song constantly. I think it broke my brain (not hard to do)
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

I love to hear from the participants, thanks a lot. I deeply admire your practice.

To drone on about the microphones, my problem is (also with some zazenkais), that I am not good enough at any of the spoken languages to understand them when spoken quickly (as one normally does), as well as with low volume and some distortion. And not being talked about the weather, after all.
    Too many things to focus on. Or to drop.
    For native speakers, things will be different.

Gassho,
    Danny

PS I've been home for a day now and I am still walking around singing the meal song constantly. I think it broke my brain (not hard to do)
    Haha, I've been singing that song nonstop since I heard it too!

Gassho
    Lisa

PS I've been home for a day now and I am still walking around singing the meal song constantly. I think it broke my brain (not hard to do) Haha, I've been singing that song nonstop since I heard it too!

Gassho
    Lisa
    Would someone please write down the lyrics for me?
    I only understand some of the words (as good as the chant is), so I go filling in "uhm..hmm..hmmm"...

Gassho,
    Danny

Thank you all who took part in the retreat, both in Washington and elsewhere. It was lovely seeing you all together and being able to participate. The sitting room and oryoki table became very familiar over the six days and I never thought my French would get a work out too! I sat along a day behind to follow the time schedule.

Oryoki was one part that really worked well for me. My oryoki set got a good work out and it was really lovely eating in this way with (virtual) company. I noticed two things in particular - firstly, having to wait through the liturgy to eat, I could feel myself salivating and this seemed to lead to better digestion rather than digging straight in, secondly, I ate less but was more satifsfied. I hope to be able to take this back into my normal eating. I suspect my overall oryoki practice needs fine tuning (especially the unwrapping and rewrapping parts) and I look forward to revisiting Myozan's videos to get this down.

Beautiful to see the Shukke Tokudo of Daido, Dozan and Taikyo. Congratulations to all three of you!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Danny,

These are the lyrics as I understood them (also with reference to internet versions):

Gate of Sweet Nectar

Calling out to Hungry Hearts,
    Everywhere through endless time,
    You who wander, you who thirst,
    I offer you this Bodhi Mind.

Calling out to hungry spirits,
    Calling out to hungry hearts,
    All the lost and left behind.

Gather round and share this meal.
    Your joy and sorrow
    I make them mine.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Calling out to Hungry Hearts,
    You who wander, you who thirst,
    I offer you this Bodhi Mind.

Calling out to hungry spirits,
    Calling out to hungry hearts,
    All the lost and left behind.

Gather round and share this meal.
    Your joy and sorrow
    I make them mine.
    Very beautiful and heartbreaking words!

Congratulations to Daido, Dozan and Taikyo, and congratulations for a beautiful retreat. It really feels like the sangha is blooming.

Gassho
    Daizan

Hello,

Nothing special.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hello all,

It was wonderful. No separation.

Gassho to this wonderful sangha,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Hello,

one word, awesome.

Dokan`s (and his family`s) hospitality are now legendary and the openness of the fellow Treeleafers was wonderful and inspiring. Shokai visiting was like Christmas.

Tired and happy,
    washington hotel room,
    all is well.

Shtack. (that`s an inside joke).

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Shting!!!

Gassho
    Taikyo

Thank you, Kokuu.

Gassho,
    Danny

Hello,

Going in and out of the usual routine, periodically participating as possible, deepened this ones commitment to the practice. Thank you for arranging for our sharing this retreat.

Gassho
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Taikyo View Post
    Shting!!!

Gassho
    Taikyo
    :-)
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi all,

It was a wonderful, beautiful, exhausting experience. I have much to say, but I still have thank yous to express for my time in Niagara Falls just over two weeks ago! It feels like a month has passed! So, it may take awhile. I will say that I spent yesterday on the road for about 9 hours as my GPS took me in circles around Washington D.C. for the first hour or so before I had to call my wife to help me head north! But I made it and spent quite awhile sleeping.

I will report back soon, but suffice it to say it was awesome.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    To echo a little of what Dosho says above, there are many details I would like to add over the coming weeks. But at this point I have little to add that has not already been said.

Make no mistake, the hearts of your fellow Sangha members are enormous and encompass the entire universe. Each and every one of you, both "at home", and "in the room" is a Bodhisattva. The love, tears, hugs, and bows (and of course the sitting, with all things at rest) have penetrated flesh and bone. Treeleaf **is** family.

Kokuu, thank you for posting the gate of sweet nectar for everyone. It has rung out in my mind before each meal since the retreat.

While stuck in traffic on the drive home, the Jizo Dharani also sprang from my lips unbidden. It was chanted 108 times prior to kito, and rings within this body still. Hopefully the kito video will eventually be posted (privately) for those who were unable to attend. While very different from our usual practice here at Treeleaf, it was an unforgettable experience, and opening of the heart:

Jizo Dharani:
    Om
    Ka Ka
    Kabi San
    Ma E
    Sowa Ka

[apologies if I miss-spelled something]

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi all,

Just want to make a quick post because I'm still in Washington, waiting for my plane tomorrow early morning. I am writing this at a borrowed computer at a hostel near downtown DC.

Yes, it was a beautiful and powerful experience. For me it has been humbling and the biggest adventure in my life that could only be possible thanks to the efforts of our teachers and this sangha.

I wish my English was good enough to put into words all these feelings that wrap my heart, being gratitude the biggest one.

When I'm home and rested, I'll post a little more.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    the roaming priest
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

It is so nice to hear of all your wonderful experiences. I have watched some of the retreat recordings and got a flavor of what it was like. Hope to be able to sit with and watch more in the following weeks. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gassho
    C

Hi,

I would like to make a special request to Yugen, Fugen and Shingen to discuss their "retreat experiences" too. Although these three could not come to the Retreat in Washington due to family and life circumstances and emergencies (Yugen at the last minute despite months of preparation), they were there as much as anyone sitting in the room. Our "Retreats" at Treeleaf meld effortlessly into family and worldly responsibilities. I know, for example, that Yugen faced that week a series of great and small family emergencies, and Fugen faces daily the duties of being a single dad with limited income. Shingen faced a work situation that simply forbid his coming. Dealing and sitting with such is "Retreat" and "Ceremony" ... finding freedom right at the heart of obligations is the true meaning of "Sesshin".

Yugen, Fugen and Shingen, might you comment on what "retreat" was for you?

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-18-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi All,

yes, my original question was to all, those who attended, those who sat along, and those taking it piece by piece. Just a place to talk about it all

Gassho
    Lisa

Hi.

I had/have no possibilty to go to America for Taigu's retreat, but i had the benefit of watching and participating in parts of it live after coming home from work, and then do the rest, which i hadn't done live, as i had the chance.
    The things that struck out to me as the retreat is done is how tall some of you guys are, i talk to you on a weekly basis on a wide variety of mediums but never realized how tall some of you are...

Next, for Treeleaf's sake this was an milestone.
    I'm so happy for everyone, hopefully you got something out of this.
    As Jundo hinted, life is interesting, but it is all good practice.
    Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Mp
    Hello everyone,

Yes sadly I was not able to attend, but I can say with certainty that I truly felt that I was apart of it all. I sat live for as many as I could and some recorded sections, but every time I sat I felt everyone. =)

I have to say I am so very thankful for ALL of you for making this happen. For ensuring there was that visual connection so we could see, as well as feel the love, support, and respect this Sangha has for one another. I will also admit I was a bit sad at the of the ordination ceremony ... I just wanted to reach out and give some BIG hugs! But I did have tears of joy for you all. =)

I also wanted to add that I have sat 3, 7, and 10 day sessions/retreats before and from my experience whether here, there, or anywhere ... there is no separation. We are truly connected! Whether if I was watching Dainin or Taigu ... or the Unsui practicing for the first time; I truly felt their joy and appreciation in my heart. One of the things that I love and respect about this Sangha is the openness and acceptance. Watching you all from the very beginning of the retreat I could see you all connecting and interacting like old friends with great love and respect for one another. Just wonderful! =)

Just a little side, but I feel still on the same topic is Jundo and Leon's Journey of America. Also having these moments; these times of sharing; connecting ... and actually seeing Jundo sitting with the other Sangha member's has just solidified this feeling within my heart.

Thank you again EVERYONE for all that you have done and for all that you do, I truly am thankful!

Deep bows
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen View Post

The things that struck out to me as the retreat is done is how tall some of you guys are, i talk to you on a weekly basis on a wide variety of mediums but never realized how tall some of you are...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Except for me! hahaha

You aren't kidding though. Almost everyone was a different height than I expected... mostly taller.

Funny. For me everyone was smaller that I thought they would be lol!!!

Gassho,

Daido

Yugen
    Daido,
    It's just that you are larger than life man....!

Deep bows (between belly laughs)
    Yugen

Mp

Gassho,

Daido
    LOL ... this way you all can meet in the middle ... get it!

Gassho
    Shingen

Gassho,

Daido
    In height or girth? What I lack in height I try to make up for with excessively large meals

Pound of bacon Nengyo. Lol. (Inside joke)

Gassho

Daido

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yugen
    Hello everyone,
    It was very difficult not to be at the retreat after so much preparation ... I stayed home to care for my son (who had badly injured his knee at work and required surgery to repair).... My knowledge that I without a doubt made the right decision coexisted with the feeling that I was letting my brothers down.

I received several messages of support, all saying that I was indeed there at the retreat - for a few days I thought folks were being polite, but the meaning of that statement did not really come alive for me until after a few days of reflection. I cared for my son Peter, who was in significant discomfort and immobilized.... on day four I got the call that my father (age 87) was in the hospital after having become disoriented and falling. Drove two hours south to stay with him and comfort my mother. Dad goes home after two nights in the hospital. I go back to Maine. Peter slowly on the mend. Me feeling a bit sorry for myself. Then the phone call from a dear Zen mentor and friend - in the hospital with pulmonary embolisms in the lungs following return from retreat in California. Further tests reveal an illness that he likely will not survive. His wife was traveling and could not be reached - I sat with him at the hospital until his son could come up from Massachusetts. He is one of the last surviving original students of Shunryu Suzuki. What I have learned from this man about being a priest and about life in general is immeasurable. All of a sudden I saw great meaning in staying home.... the plate tectonics of my life's situation are shifting. They always have been, I just insisted on viewing these things as fixed, unchanging entities.

And then I understood that people saying I was at the retreat were not pleasantries. The duality of here or there, now or later, self and other, all falls away at a point not of our choosing..... now upon contemplating the Jukai and Ango preparations for 2014.... I realize there is no Ango / not-Ango....or periods of intensive practice and periods of coasting. There is just dedicated and consistent practice. There is no "I will practice my rituals tomorrow when I have more time" - there is just today, and the recognition that every single thing we do right now - large or small - matters a great deal. Like a ripple on a lake, the waves of these actions will radiate in all directions. They may not be felt today, or tomorrow, but their energy is not lost. So instead of bursts of effort, there is just a concerted ongoing effort called 'living a life' - Engaged Service/Projects is no longer something to be done one Saturday a month, it is something I become - not something to do but something to be - the distinction between the person and the action falls away and the two are indistinguishable.

The feeling of sadness and a bit of self-pity at not being with my brothers and having the practice/support of a group was replaced by the knowledge that I could either cry in my soup or just be responsible for my own practice, and know that in the same time and place my brothers were sitting, sewing, and living.

Every moment has been practice. I clearly missed something of great importance in Virginia, but I would not trade my experiences here for anything. They have been profound and earth-shaking. And nothing at all - just living a life. The greatest wall that fell down perhaps for me was that between Soto priest and person of zen.... a point at which effort becomes no effort and the simple act of living takes place.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 08-19-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post

Every moment has been practice. I clearly missed something of great importance in Virginia, but I would not trade my experiences here for anything. They have been profound and earth-shaking. And nothing at all - just living a life. The greatest wall that feel down perhaps for me was that between Soto priest and person of zen.... a point at which effort becomes no effort and the simple act of living takes place.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    _/\_

Mp
    a point at which effort becomes no effort and the simple act of living takes place.
    Yugen,

Thank you for showing us how such challenges can be great teachings.

Deep bows
    Shingen

Joyo
    Yugen, I also want to thank you for your beautiful teaching. May your son feel better soon.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Kyotai
    Hello everyone,
    It was very difficult not to be at the retreat after so much preparation ... I stayed home to care for my son (who had badly injured his knee at work and required surgery to repair).... My knowledge that I without a doubt made the right decision coexisted with the feeling that I was letting my brothers down.

I received several messages of support, all saying that I was indeed there at the retreat - for a few days I thought folks were being polite, but the meaning of that statement did not really come alive for me until after a few days of reflection. I cared for my son Peter, who was in significant discomfort and immobilized.... on day four I got the call that my father (age 87) was in the hospital after having become disoriented and falling. Drove two hours south to stay with him and comfort my mother. Dad goes home after two nights in the hospital. I go back to Maine. Peter slowly on the mend. Me feeling a bit sorry for myself. Then the phone call from a dear Zen mentor and friend - in the hospital with pulmonary embolisms in the lungs following return from retreat in California. Further tests reveal an illness that he likely will not survive. His wife was traveling and could not be reached - I sat with him at the hospital until his son could come up from Massachusetts. He is one of the last surviving original students of Shunryu Suzuki. What I have learned from this man about being a priest and about life in general is immeasurable. All of a sudden I saw great meaning in staying home.... the plate tectonics of my life's situation are shifting. They always have been, I just insisted on viewing these things as fixed, unchanging entities.

And then I understood that people saying I was at the retreat were not pleasantries. The duality of here or there, now or later, self and other, all falls away at a point not of our choosing..... now upon contemplating the Jukai and Ango preparations for 2014.... I realize there is no Ango / not-Ango....or periods of intensive practice and periods of coasting. There is just dedicated and consistent practice. There is no "I will practice my rituals tomorrow when I have more time" - there is just today, and the recognition that every single thing we do right now - large or small - matters a great deal. Like a ripple on a lake, the waves of these actions will radiate in all directions. They may not be felt today, or tomorrow, but their energy is not lost. So instead of bursts of effort, there is just a concerted ongoing effort called 'living a life' - Engaged Service/Projects is no longer something to be done one Saturday a month, it is something I become - not something to do but something to be - the distinction between the person and the action falls away and the two are indistinguishable.

The feeling of sadness and a bit of self-pity at not being with my brothers and having the practice/support of a group was replaced by the knowledge that I could either cry in my soup or just be responsible for my own practice, and know that in the same time and place my brothers were sitting, sewing, and living.

Every moment has been practice. I clearly missed something of great importance in Virginia, but I would not trade my experiences here for anything. They have been profound and earth-shaking. And nothing at all - just living a life. The greatest wall that fell down perhaps for me was that between Soto priest and person of zen.... a point at which effort becomes no effort and the simple act of living takes place.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Thank you for sharing this Yugen. I wish Peter a full recovery and hope your father is on the mend as well. I am sorry to here about your good friend...

Gassho, Shawn

Yugen,

deep bows, gratitude, and metta to you and your loved ones.

Gassho
    Lisa

Yugen

Your practice is an inspiration and these are the reasons we practice. Metta to all who are sick.

Deep bows
    Kokuu

Dear Yugen,

Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Yugen, so wonderful words.
    Thanks for the teaching.

Metta to you and your people.

Gassho,
    Walter.

Thank you for sharing this Yugen. Metta to you my friend and those in your view.

Deep-bows,
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Yugen,

You were there my friend...and you too Shugen & Fugen. I don't say that to make you feel better. I say it because it is true. This is the practice we have all undertaken as Treeleaf priests and you were exactly where you should have been. I mean that!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast