Thread: Leaving no traces, the kids of Gaza

Leaving no traces, the kids of Gaza

Being recently invited at a friend's house, Amiko, she asked me how I would like to be remembered. I just said that I wanted to leave no traces whatsoever. Not a single trace.

I suggest you say the following if asked about Taigu:

Taigu, just an ordinary fool, part of no association ( Europen, American or else) with little authority and seldom any credentials, maker of fleeting poems and a hopeless dude. You can even call him an arsehole if you wish. Likes to shut up. Hates wordy Zen.

All the rest can go to hell.

And by the way, the kids falling now butchered by imperialism and blind terrorism...WHAT DO YOU FUCKING DO WITH THAT!!!!

Pardon my French, but you see, at this stage I prefer rude words to big capital letters to express surprise and real concern.

A very angry Zen dude that have no time and no patience with would be warriors aiming at children and civilians.

These kids leave no trace as they have hardly any weight and of course are not important enough for the big leaders and small people in charge of this world.

We will dedicate the Washington retreat to these innocent victims and see how we can help, really help.

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 08-01-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Might the people in all lands learn to share and live together. Might there be no more violence. Might the children of all nations grow up in peace.

It has not been so for thousands of years, and it is not so today. But there is still tomorrow.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

They say the meek shall inherit the earth.

Let's have the hope that when all the horrible violence stops its devastating siege, there are still meek to receive it and earth to be inherited.

This bring tears to my eyes and a sense of being so powerless to help all the innocent people suffering from others' anger and greed.

Thank you Taigu and Jundo for inviting us to reflect and not forget.

Deep bows,

Walter

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Taigu, I am with you 100% on this and will do something to help this situation even though it may be small in the overall scheme of things but if many do a little something changes.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Trying to see Jerusalem , and indeed all lands as places of peace and hope. Metta to all involved in this terrible mess.
    Gassho
    C

I will be sitting with you and for all those suffering under such dire circumstances. I will do whatever I can to help .

Kelly/Jinmei

Just a suggestion. save the children is highly rated and respected.

Gaza Children in Crisis
    Www.savethechildren.org/Gaza
    Text "DONATE" to 20222 To Give $10 for Gaza Relief.
    Save the Children USA

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Mp
    Thank you Taigu ... I too will sit, dedicate, and continue to do what I can, however small.

Gassho
    Shingen

If donating money helps, that is wonderful. But, how does $10 donated to the children of Gaza stop a military blast? I hate sounding so cynical, but can my texted money really help them? Is there any other way?
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Here are some good questions I asked myself this morning , while feeling angry and very divided. Maybe this reads as finicky in the face of horror, but I do not have the comfort of simple righteousness.

-Practice shows that I can only assign proximate cause for suffering to any persons or group. A first cause in the chain of pain is nowhere to be found, but can, as a skillful means, be assigned to greed, anger, and ignorance, in order to break the chain. Am I doing that?

-How does action springing from a perception of proximate cause, differ from action springing from a perception of absolute cause? How do the consequences differ?

- What is the difference in the state of feeling, thoughts, body energy, when I assign proximate cause to a person or group, and assigning absolute cause?

- In any relationship/conflict, how does the perception of absolute cause in one group effect my perception of their motives and actions generally? How does it effect my perception of motives and actions in their opposite ? What role does the relative temporal power of each play in conditioning these perceptions.

-What does the perception of a root evil doer look like? What is selected out? What is the tone and texture? Do I identify with the root evil doer? What does that identifying feel like?

-What does the perception of a root noble doer look like? What is selected out? What is the tone and texture? Do I identify with the root noble doer? What does that identifying feel like?

-Given the pervasiveness of injustice and suffering, why do I assign absolute cause to some people or groups and not to others? What might condition this selectivity?

gassho
    Daizan

Incidentally.. these are not idle musings. I am taking whatever action is possible in my little life to end this, but know too much about the forces in play to be hopeful.
    Last edited by RichardH; 08-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I have been sitting for the victims of the silly wars going on as of late.

So stupid we are.

So much work to do and so much compassion to learn.

Thank you for this post, Taigu.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Amelia and Walter, I looked upon these images this morning, and I, too, felt powerless. (these images are not easy to see, or un-see, even for a jaded old fool like myself. Please don't click if you are sensitive to raw violence)
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...-media-to-show

I am powerless. I am a single raindrop, falling from the sky onto desert sand. I am a snowflake, drifting lazily downwards, but I have friends. I have a voice. I am not still.

I can choose to speak, and if, in speaking, I can convince two others that this is the face of atrocity then we can become a puddle, or a light dusting on a pine bough.

My friends have friends. They have voices, and they need not be still. They can speak, and if in speaking, they each convince two others, and they convince more, then we can become a flood, we can become an avalanche, and we CAN change things.

WE
    CAN do this, but only if we are not still. We can do this only if we reach outside of ourselves, and turn each small action into an unstoppable wave.

If we all speak out in a single voice, even our governments will hear us. So donate that dollar. Engage in acts of peaceful protest. Speak to your elected representatives and be heard.

I
    am powerless.

We
    are not.

Gassho,
    Morgan

Thank you Taigu.

Incidentally.. these are not idle musings. I am taking whatever action is possible in my little life to end this, but know too much about the forces in play to be hopeful.
    I feel much this way too Daizan.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Hi Amelia, I believe that donating money will help those children already injured or traumatized. What to do to stop the violence is beyond my comprehension. I can say that I experienced a time in Arab countries over 40 years ago when people were loving and peaceful so it's not impossible.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Thank you Rich, I should have mentioned that the money does provide relief in other necessary ways.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Might the people in all lands learn to share and live together. Might there be no more violence. Might the children of all nations grow up in peace.

It has not been so for thousands of years, and it is not so today. But there is still tomorrow.

Gassho, J

Willow

Many here in the States are unaware of exactly what's going on over there. To spread such awareness fits with practice. Awareness that we are helping fund a slaughter. Matters not if our words are useless, just like giving we don't do it for anything to attain, we do it because it's what we do, and then we move on. Much metta to the Israelis and the Palestinians, to all children who have lost their lives in wars. To all the broken homes and broken hearts. May all experience kintsugi.

Gassho,
    John

Joyo
    Sadly enough, I read a comment on fb today from some ignorant fool, claiming it's a good thing these children are getting killed, as they are "messed up" and future terrorists. I find it very difficult to extend my compassion to these such people, and the "Zionists" who claim Israel has every right to do what they are doing.

Metta to all children who suffer, from war and from the hands and mouths of those who are not worthy to take care of them.

I dedicate my sit to them through this week.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Hello Joyo,

in a messed up world it is very difficult to extend compassion to those who we witness causing harm to others. I think what Buddhism teaches (and what many other faiths teach) is that the real evil is greed, hate and ignorance.

Within those three terms are many sub-clauses and fear is one of them.

I don't want to get into a political discussion here (the politics of Israel/Zionism is complex) nor an equally complex debate of what is encompassed within that huge void between terrorism and colonialism and the hate/despair that fills up that void. But our response isn't complex - we see a terrible carnage happening and want it to stop.

How do we feel compassion for all the sentient beings involved - even those who we might perceive as perpetrators?

When I struggle to extend compassion I remind myself that human beings are inextricably bound by a karmic chain of cause and effect and it is an accident of birth which side of a divide an individual is born.

I try to sit with the fear, real and imagined that drives human being to commit terrible acts. I try to sit with compassion for the level of indoctrination an individual may have failed to free themselves from. I try to sit with the lack of will and determination we all may exhibit when a bad situation needs turning round.

.... and then I struggle with the knowledge that my silent thoughts achieve nothing and wonder what can be done?

(today is the commemoration of the start of WW1. In the UK the lights will be switched off for an hour between 10pm and 11pm. My grandfather was seriously injured and also lost a brother in that war)

Metta to all those affected by war,

Gassho

Willow
    Last edited by Jinyo; 08-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

I have a Jewish background but I am certain that I could be Hitler under the right circumstances.

Gassho, Jishin

Today, one hundred years ago, the first shots were fired in 'the war to end all wars', WWI. Sadly, that not only proved not to be the case but it set the stage for future conflicts, not least the devastation of WWII only two decades later.

The death of anyone due to armed conflict is a tragedy, but particularly those of civilians and children. I have my own thoughts on the rights and wrongs of the current engagement between Israel and Palestine but the situation is so complex and with so many hurts on both sides, it is hard to see a peaceful resolution. But, as Rich says, peace has been possible before and we must hold out hope it can occur again. In my own lifetime, the seemingly intractable conflict between people in Northern Ireland has largely become a thing of the past.

Much metta and strength to all inhabitants of both Israel and Gaza. Both must be a frightening place to live right now and a death on either side is a great loss for family and friends of that person that need not of happened. I wish I knew what else to do but today can just sit for all involved and pray that one day any further killings will be seen as too much.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    I have a Jewish background but I am certain that I could be Hitler under the right circumstances.

Gassho, Jishin
    Call Me by My True Names

Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
    because even today I still arrive.
    Look deeply: I arrive in every second
    to be a bud on a spring branch,
    to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
    learning to sing in my new nest,
    to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
    to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.
    I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
    in order to fear and to hope.
    The rhythm of my heart is the birth and
    death of all that are alive.
    I am the mayfly metamorphosing on the surface of the river,
    and I am the bird which, when spring comes, arrives in time
    to eat the mayfly.

I am the frog swimming happily in the clear pond,
    and I am also the grass-snake who, approaching in silence,
    feeds itself on the frog.
    I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones,
    my legs as thin as bamboo sticks,
    and I am the arms merchant, selling deadly weapons to
    Uganda.
    I am the twelve-year-old girl, refugee on a small boat,
    who throws herself into the ocean after being raped by a sea
    pirate,
    and I am the pirate, my heart not yet capable of seeing and
    loving.
    I am a member of the politburo, with plenty of power in my
    hands,
    and I am the man who has to pay his "debt of blood" to, my
    people,
    dying slowly in a forced labor camp.
    My joy is like spring, so warm it makes flowers bloom in all
    walks of life.
    My pain if like a river of tears, so full it fills the four oceans.
    Please call me by my true names,
    so I can hear all my cries and laughs at once,
    so I can see that my joy and pain are one.
    Please call me by my true names,
    so I can wake up,
    and so the door of my heart can be left open,
    the door of compassion.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Gassho
    John

Metta to ALL victims.
    Any money send to Gaza goes to Hamas. I would never send a Terrorist organization any money.
    Do we really want to drag Treeleaf Forum into a political argument?

The Dharma is impassive, motionless, and infinity in its lessons. All events and sufferings are included along with all delusions and stupidity.
    I sit for all beings, live at the edge of the abyssim ready to jump, nothing and everything; and the only enlightenment I seek is to save all sentient beings.
    That will take the rest of my days.

In deep gassho to all here.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Joyo
    Hello everyone, just wanted to add, I do not want to start any kind of political argument as in taking sides with Israel or Palestine. For me personally, I do not trust the news, I do not live there, I do not have enough logical information to really have an informed opinion, other than both sides have done things wrong. As someone said to me"Justification only leads to more violence"

For me personally, I know people who live in my small town, who have posted on facebook some very ugly things about the Palestinians, and are actually rejoicing over the violence that goes on there, as they believe this is a sign Jesus is coming. I have removed them from my facebook because of it. And, like I said, I struggle with having anger towards them.

Thank you Willow for what you said. Very good advice.

As others have said, I will join you all in dedicating our sits to the children, chanting metta for all victims, and doing what we can to make this world a more peaceful, loving place.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post

Gassho, Jishin
    Much agreed. Every people can do evil... including "us", including "me". I think that taking political action is part of engaging. but opening divisions here will not lead to agreement or benefit. I think we can agree that action should not come from hate, or seeing any people as the evil other. Even while engaging in opposition or protest.

Gassho
    Daizan

Hi all, I think that if we wish to leave the world better than it is today we can not afford to act the same ways that turned the world the violent mess it seems to be.
    So, deepening division does not help IMHO.

I don't support terror and violence, no matter whether they come from an organization or from a state.
    Violence use brings violent plans.

I kept reflecting on Morgan's words and came to the conclusion that in fact WE CAN do something.
    Maybe it is not an expedited help, but if we stick to RIGHT SPEECH and RIGHT ACTION, we can shine a light on our friends, family, neighbours just by not spreading hatred, for example in small ways like not giving likes to hateful posts or retweeting hate words. Not to mention speaking that way.
    It maybe of very little help today, but we've been taught here and there that time is just a convention. Isn't it?

Gassho, Walter

Leaving no traces, the kids of Gaza

Walter you always seem to have really wise words. We thank you for that. To change the world. People need to know how to truly see the world. From my research I found a group of Israelites and Palestine's that are called "we refuse to be enemies" where they practice spiritually together and mourn lost ones together. That's the real magic admits the chaos.

Gassho
    James

P.S everyone should check out the we refuse to be enemies Facebook page to see that there is light admits the darkness
    Last edited by Cumminjd; 08-05-2014 at 07:38 PM.

i dont tend to write here too much since i think words are pointless and i prefer to just sit zazen and live my life as best i can.
    but sometimes i feel compelled to do say something, i have been silent about it for a long time... but i think it is time i actually say something.
    so i would like to ask everyone to please keep your money and don't donate it. please go do volunteer work at a soup kitchen or something. but please dont donate money to any gaza causes.i think Ed said it already and he is correct any money sent to gaza is received by Hamas, it has 2 sides to it the political and military.but both would use that money. and believe me when i tell you that garbing your child and running for a bomb shelter because you are fired rockets upon isnt much fun. i wrote about it about 5-6 years ago in a post simply titled "Rockets".i am ashamed of leaving in this area and want nothing more to just leave this fucking country and let Jerusalem burn for all i care...i want to leave in a safe place where i dont need to be afraid for my family. i have lived in israel for over 20 years. in that time i have seen many a terror act, i have treated wounded from all over in my work as a nurse in different wards (currently the O.R) i have treated victims of terror acts, rocket attacks, burn victims from gaza and many more. it is very late now and i am tired and must go to sleep before my shift... but i will write more tomorrow on how this war is really happening and not just what the media says... if anyone has any questions and wants to hear more please PM me and i will try to answer all questions.

D.
    I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
    - the Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin View Post
    i dont tend to write here too much since i think words are pointless and i prefer to just sit zazen and live my life as best i can.
    but sometimes i feel compelled to do say something, i have been silent about it for a long time... but i think it is time i actually say something.
    so i would like to ask everyone to please keep your money and don't donate it. please go do volunteer work at a soup kitchen or something. but please dont donate money to any gaza causes.i think Ed said it already and he is correct any money sent to gaza is received by Hamas, it has 2 sides to it the political and military.but both would use that money. and believe me when i tell you that garbing your child and running for a bomb shelter because you are fired rockets upon isnt much fun. i wrote about it about 5-6 years ago in a post simply titled "Rockets".i am ashamed of leaving in this area and want nothing more to just leave this fucking country and let Jerusalem burn for all i care...i want to leave in a safe place where i dont need to be afraid for my family. i have lived in israel for over 20 years. in that time i have seen many a terror act, i have treated wounded from all over in my work as a nurse in different wards (currently the O.R) i have treated victims of terror acts, rocket attacks, burn victims from gaza and many more. it is very late now and i am tired and must go to sleep before my shift... but i will write more tomorrow on how this war is really happening and not just what the media says... if anyone has any questions and wants to hear more please PM me and i will try to answer all questions.

D.
    Thank you, Dojin in Israel, for reminding us that violence often has two or more sides ... but few good sides.

May all (somehow) find peace and healing.

I too would be cautious of making any donation unless sure it was going thru a reputable organization and actually benefitting only the suffering people intended.

Gassho, Shalom, Salam, Jundo

Hello,

Breathe as all of us.

Thank you for your service.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Dojin - I just wanted to say your presence here is felt - no matter the silence.

I remembered your post of a couple of years back and it was one of the reasons I worded my post here as I did because
    the politics of Israel/Palestine are very complex and we come to this space as human beings who can in some way show care
    for one another beyond the ties of where we live and our very differing lives.

I wish for a safe place for you and your family with all my heart and I thank you for the humanitarian work you do as a nurse.

As Jundo writes,

Gassho, Shalom, Salam,

Willow

..... i will write more tomorrow on how this war is really happening and not just what the media says...
    D.
    Hello Dojin. I recently heard very angry and painful words from someone who learned that a friend and her family died in Gaza. She has anger and an absolute view about how this war is really happening. You are suffering and will naturally have a view on how this war is really happening. I believe your view or her view are both valid and come from lived realities. I really hope that this forum does not become a forum for competing truth claims about who has the blackest heart. I understand why you may want to react to the O.P. which is a very loud truth claim, but I would , just personally, as another member, ask you to not respond to it. It could open a pandora's box. Where does the chain of pain begin? I do not know. Within my own circles of family and friends there are serious divisions, absolute positions, hatred. I hope this community does not polarize like that.

Gassho
    Daizan

Dojin, thank you so much for your comment. I can read about it, I can watch the news about it, but I cannot fathom the experience that you live each moment of your life. I too hope for safety for you, your family, and all others caught in this conflict. I offer metta, that is all I can do.

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Daizan i hear what you are saying but i will write it down anyway when i get the free time.
    i try to be unbiased and i have both compassion for all of the victims and many bad things to say about both sides. so i will do my best as to not let it turn in to some right-winged bashing...if it turns in to some forum argument over who is right or wrong i will ask Jundo to delete it since i want no part in fights like that.
    i do not respond to any posts like that on FB but here i feel is a good place to actually speak out.

Gassho, D.
    I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
    - the Buddha

Please speak, Dojin. There will be no fighting here. Only civil and compassionate discussion.

Gassho, J

Hi Dojin,

I think we have enough of who's wrong or right and I bet Treeleafers fell the same. Please write your mind. Rest assured we will read with no judgment.

Gassho,

Kyonin

Daizan i hear what you are saying but i will write it down anyway when i get the free time.
    i try to be unbiased and i have both compassion for all of the victims and many bad things to say about both sides. so i will do my best as to not let it turn in to some right-winged bashing...if it turns in to some forum argument over who is right or wrong i will ask Jundo to delete it since i want no part in fights like that.
    i do not respond to any posts like that on FB but here i feel is a good place to actually speak out.

Gassho, D.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Metta to all those suffering under violence
    Metta to all those perpetrating violence

Gassho
    Jamie

Dojin, metta to you, dharma brother, and yours, and your enemies as well.
    And to all in this wonderful sangha: I sit with you daily, peace.
    In deep gassho,
    Seido Ed Blanco.
    Last edited by Ed; 08-06-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Joyo
    Dear Dojin, metta, peace, to you, to all involved in this very sad violence. May you be well, may you be free from suffering, may you live in peace.

With deep bows,
    Joyo

I think the concern of money going to Hamas is valid. However Save the Children is highly respected and validated by third parties as one of the gold standards of charity. Almost 90% of funds go to children services in 120 countries. I am in the process of learning how these services are delivered and how political groups are prevented from receiving funds. Will keep you posted. Also their website contains much info on types of services provided.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Alberta, Canada...beside the Rocky Mouintains
    The doctor who lost his three daughters in the 2009 incursion into Gaza, Doctor Izzelldin Abuelaishe suggested doing something concrete for injured children in Gaza. His article in the Toronto Star has turned into the following petition (see link) https://www.change.org/p/stephen-har...n_update_email

It would seem to be one of the most valuable contributions that others might copy. The progress message here is copied from my computer.
    Christopher,
    Lauren Lowe just posted an update on the petition you signed:

How You Can Help #Heal100Kids
    Lauren Lowe
    Petition Organizer
    Aug 06, 2014
    As we surpass 3000 supporters, there is a lot of exciting buzz around Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish's initiative to bring 100 Palestinian children to Canada for medical attention. There...

Gassho..............Christopher

Alberta, Canada...beside the Rocky Mouintains
    I see the link did not work. Anyone interested to read more will probably find it here https://www.change.org/en-CA/about

Change.org started hosting petitions from the members and public just this last winter.

Gazzho......................Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post

How do we feel compassion for all the sentient beings involved - even those who we might perceive as perpetrators?

Gassho

Willow
    Good point, Willow.

Self and other,
    not two
    One.

We would do well to remember that, even while taking what action we can to better the situation.

Gassho,
    Lee

Shinchi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

Self and other,
    not two
    One.
    Thank you, Lee. This short and wise verse serves as a powerful reminder for me. Though it can be such a challenge to truly internalize and embody, particularly in the face of such horrific violence.

(May I ask if this is from any particular text?)

Gassho

Jimmy

self and other

not two

not one

just self

just other

just this

Gassho, Jishin

Joyo
    Much metta, as the attacks continue

Gassho,
    Joyo

Metta and a recognition of not-two , go hand in hand with making change. The Jewish side of my family has strong views and passions, fear and disillusionment. I have had some surprisingly strong emotions over this topic. It would be good to have a compassionate and civil discussion on this board about the future... maybe after the retreat. I would participate, and hope our Israeli member would also . I was concerned that it would devolve into anger and finger pointing. So I hope I did not put a chill on discussion.

Gassho... and see you on the cushion. Daizan