Thread: Not Knowing is Most Intimate

Not Knowing is Most Intimate

Dear All, I have just started reading this book by Roshi Pat Enkyo O'Hara and am really loving it.

Rather than being a theoretical book of Zen philosophy, Most Intimate is a call to practice and to become close to those parts of life we tend to push away. For me, being intimate with pain is an ongoing struggle and source of practice.

There are chapters on most of the sticky issues that will confront us in life such as relationships, sex, suffering, anger, work, death and loss. Each chapter ends with suggestions for practical exercises and a reported question and answer session from Roshi's students.

The way the book is written feels very spacious and there is a nice balance between accounts of pesonal experience and traditional Zen stories to illustrate the points.

Anyway, just a recommendation in case anyone out there is looking for some gentle summer reading (or winter reading for those of you in the southern hemispheres!).

Gassho
    Andy

Hello,

Thank you. In the queue.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyotai
    Sounds very practical to life's problems. I may check it out.

Thanks Andy

Gassho, Shawn

Joyo
    Thank you, Andy. First off, I am sorry that you are still dealing with pain. Much metta to you.

Secondly, thanks for the book recommendation. I've got a long list of summer/fall reading already, but I think I will add this one as well.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Thanks for growing the list, Andy! Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Sounds like my kind of book

"Practical exercises" sounds interesting.
    I need much more time on a cushion to get zen off the cushion, but I'm curious...

Gassho,
    Danny

Thank you for the recommendation Andy, this looks great!

I just checked on Amazon, looks like over here it is called Most Intimate: A Zen Approach to Life's Challenges

So many good books, so little time

Gassho
    Lisa

Another one on the waiting list.

Thanks!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Kokuu.

I would strongly recommend everybody to read this jewel. It goes to show that the dharma is blossoming more beautifully than ever in the West. The pages about relationships or the kesa are simply... Well, it is really good to hear somebody putting down so amazingly what I have tried for years to express without much grace.

Go, read and PRACTICE thIs, folks!

gassho

Taigu

PS: although you are invited to sit with us online for the Washington retreat , it is not too late to come and get it straight from the horse s mouth, that is to say from your boundless self, your brothers and sisters and the old wild horse wrapped in light brown robes!

Andy,
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have to give it a read.

Gassho, Entai

Mp
    Thank you Andy ... I have added it to my list as well. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

the old wild horse
    I guess, names are in kanji.

But to be honest, I imagined "Taigu" to be romaji of katakana, ta i gu - tiger ...

Wild, too, but not a horse.
    As I love Calvin and Hobbes, if you do not mind, teacher, I'll sit with the tiger.
    (but I would be interested in hearing the true meaning)

Gassho,
    Danny

Dear Danny,

Taigu means big fool, stupid head, or something like that. It is a Zen nickname.
    Tiger would be "Tora".

love and gassho

Taigu

Thank you for explaining.
    Zen has a reputation of being contradictory, where masters can be Gudo, and teachers can be Taigu.

Gassho,
    Danny

Thanks Andy - have just ordered this after reading extracts on Amazon.

Gassho

Willow

The Treeleaf-forums are awesome... such a richness of inspiration, suggestions and teachings! Thank you Andy for suggesting this book, I started reading it and it blows my mind...

Gassho

Roland