Thread: TRAVEL DIARY: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (7/16-8/26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (8/9-14)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just an update ...

Looks like I will be seeing Gina, who sat for so long in Tsukuba with me (and now is doing some UN work) and Oheso/Richard ( from Brooklyn, said with the appropriate accent ) Friday evening for a meal and a bit of Zazen in Central Park, NYC. (I need to leave early, as Leon and I have tickets to the Mostly Mozart at the Met). I think it unlikely that I will be able to netcast that sitting if we sit, but I will post some photos ... and you are all there in heart.

After that, on the morning of Sunday August 3rd, New York time (I will try to announce the exact hour soon), our Daijo has arranged for me to spend the night and offer a small sitting and talk at the Sangha of White Plum Teacher Paul Genki Kahn in New Jersey, a Dharma Heir of Bernie Glassman and one of the folks at the forefront of Engaged Buddhism ...

I believe that our start time for the Sitting and Talk with me will be about 9:30am, Sunday morning NYT for about an hour or so, however I am asking Genki if we can also netcast his groups Morning Chanting and Sitting which begins from 8am. I will report back when I hear.

Roshi Paul Genki Kahn is founder and Spiritual Director of ZEN GARLAND: A Community Order for Zen Practice, Education & Service, in Wyckoff, New Jersey, USA.
    Genki began dedicated yoga and meditation practice in the 1960s. In 1970 he entered residential Zen training with Aitken Roshi in Hawaii. He transferred to the Zen Center of Los Angeles in 1972 to become amonk and priest under Taizan Maezumi Roshi, served as his personal attendant, and was the Director of Training there. In 1980 he came to New York with Roshi Bernie to establish what has become the Greyston Mandala. He received Final Vows as a Priest from Roshi Dennis Genpo Merzel. He is a Dharma Successor of Roshi Tetsugen Bernie Glassman and received Inka from him. He is a member of the White Plum Asanga.

Roshi Genki founded HMCLZC in 2004 with Sensei Ann Ankai Wagner and Sensei Bill Jikai Greenberg to bring a full range of contemporary Zen training to the greater metropolitan area. He is focusing his efforts on developing Socially Engaged Buddhism in the West, and providing thorough training paths for Zen practice both in lay and ordination paths.
    Genki has served as President and Vice-Spiritual Director of the Zen Peacemakers in Montague, MA. He was also Executive Director of the Zen Peacemakers Sangha.

Over the past 25 years, Genki has designed and administered public and private mental health programs for disadvantaged people in New York and New Jersey. He pioneered quality treatment for persons with co-occurring conditions of mental illness and drug and alcohol addictions. During the crack wars in the South Bronx in the early ’90s, he created the MICA Program at Fordham Tremont Community Mental Health Center, that today still treats over 100 people daily.
    http://zengarland.org/about

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-31-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE