Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TRAVEL DIARY: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (7/16-8/26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (8/9-14)

TRAVEL DIARY: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (7/16-8/26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (8/9-14)

[IMG]dharmatrainenso.jpg[/IMG]
    Dear All.

THE DAY HAS ARRIVED to begin our DHARMA WHISTLE STOP & SIT ACROSS AMERICA! I will be posting UPDATES IN THIS THREAD, as well as links to GOOGLE+ NETCASTS OF ZAZENKAI (EVERY 3 or 4 DAYS, SEE SCHEDULE BELOW) with the Sangha friends I am visiting. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE PLAN TO CLOSE MOST OF THE TREELEAF FORUM DURING THE DAYS OF THE WASHINGTON RETREAT with TAIGU (Aug 9-14) as all our attention and Practice will be focused there.

Please come sit along! I am heading today for the Airport here in Japan to commence our first "DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA 2014". From July 16th to August 26th, as we (Jundo and his 11 year old son, Leon) follow the Amtrak far and wide from Maine to New York to Niagara Falls Canada to Washington D.C. to the Deep South then up to Chicago and points between ... getting to know and bringing a little Retreat to our members. Of course, August 9th through 14th, Taigu will be guiding a SESSHIN in WASHINGTON D.C. attended by many in our Sangha. DETAILS HERE. It is now planned that most of the Washington Sesshin will be NETCAST LIVE, MORNING TO NIGHT (as well as available for viewing later), so please do all you can to attend portions of this special event online from home.

This is all part of our mission, for folks who due to health, work or family need cannot join in a Zazenkai or Retreat so easily, to bring a little Retreat to you!

HERE IS THE SCHEDULE SO FAR, AND WHO WE WILL BE VISITING. I will be announcing exact retreat times in this thread, and updating the schedule below. Most Zazenkai will be 90 Minutes, much as our weekly Treeleaf Zazenkai. However, such times may be subject to change due circumstances. Will will also be having shorter informal sits from time to time. I will try to vary times so that our folks in Europe might join in live sometimes.

+ July 16 to early July 21 - with YUGEN in BRUNSWICK, MAINE

+ July 21 to July 22 - Boston

+ July 23 - with RICH in RHODE ISLAND

+ July 24 to July 26 - New York City

+ July 27 to July 28 (and part of July 30) - with DOSHO in ROCHESTER, NEW YORK

+ July 29 and early July 30 - with DAIZAN and SHOKAI in NIAGARA FALLS, CANADA (details here)

+ July 31 to Aug 2 - New York City

+ Aug 3 - with DAIJO in NEW JERSEY (hiking part of Appalachian Trail!)

+ Aug 4 to Aug 6 - Williamsburg and Richmond Virginia (featuring a non-netcast Zazen with Sekishi)

+ Aug 7 - with RISHO in TAMPA, FLORIDA (and Grace too)

+ Aug 8 - Orlando

+ Aug 9 to Aug 14 -
    WASHINGTON DC RETREAT with TAIGU (Jundo will attend last day) DETAILS HERE

+ Aug 15 - Priests Powwow on the Potomac

+ Aug 16 - Baltimore, Maryland

+ Aug 17 to Aug 18 - with CLARK in NORTHEAST GEORGIA

+ Aug 19 - with ALAN.R in SPARTANBURG, SOUTH CAROLINA

+ Aug 20 to Aug 21 - with SYDNEY in MISSISSIPPI

NEXT ZAZEN SITTING with Sydney:
    THURSDAY August 21st: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 10:30am, Los Angeles 7:30am, London 3:30pm and Paris 4:30pm

+ Aug 22 - with NENKA in CHICAGO ILLINOIS

+ Aug 23 to Aug 26 - CHICAGO AREA

[SIZE=1]I sincerely apologize to the several people who were very kind to extend an invitation I could not meet this time due to the routing.

(Here are the general Amtrak route maps to give an idea where we are heading)

Our Zazenkai will follow our usual schedule, as here:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):[/FONT]

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Other than that, the only plan is to "hang out", nothing fancy, sit on the porch and get to know each other, share some time. We welcome a place to sleep on a fold out bed or the floor.

The Buddha walked barefoot hundreds of miles across northern India. In the old days, Zen folks wandered from temple to temple looking like this ...

My boy and I will pretty much be a t-shirt clad father and son with a couple of backpacks and a tired look from 15 hour train trips!

(One other reason I am making this trip with my son is that Leon does not know America very much, so this is a chance to show him some of that part of his culture at the same time. I am hoping to show him some American history, life and nature along the way ... especially as he is going to have to be stuck tagging along with his dad for 6 weeks! I am hoping that, on the way to visit our Treeleaf members, I can show him some of that.)

This is another great experiment for this "Sangha beyond here or there" with many people who due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, cannot attend a Sitting easily, as we see if the Sangha & Sittings can come to them!

My son and I would very much look forward to meeting so many of you, sharing some time and sitting Zazen together!

"WHISTLE STOP & SIT" Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-21-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello, for those of us who can't attend, it would be nice if someone could post some pictures from the retreat. Thank you.

Gassho
    Clark

Mp
    Hello Jundo,

Wow! This is exciting ... I am so happy for you two. Safe and joyful journey. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Excited for both of you! Safe trip.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Hello, for those of us who can't attend, it would be nice if someone could post some pictures from the retreat. Thank you.

Gassho
    Clark
    Hi Clark,

I believe Taigu and Dokan will have moving video, real time, of most of the Retreat too.

Gassho, J

Have a safe trip teacher, surely will be a great one ☺

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Safe travels all.

gassho
    john

Safe travels!

Gassho
    Daizan

Joyo
    Jundo, this sounds like an amazing experience. I wish you safe travels and many wonderful adventures!!!

Gassho,
    Joyo

Jundo,

Wishing for smooth traveling and lots of fun for you and Leon!

Gassho
    Lisa

Jundo, may you and your son have a wonderful trip.

Perhaps I will be able to join some of the sittings.

Buen viaje!

Gassho, Walter.
    Gassho,Walter

Happy trails Jundo and Leon

Gassho
    Jamie

Safe and happy travels to Jundo and Leon!

Looking forward to meeting you in the retreat.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Have a wonderful trip!

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Clark,

I believe Taigu and Dokan will have moving video, real time, of most of the Retreat too.

Gassho, J
    Wonderful thanks!

Gassho
    C

Bon voyage.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyotai
    If you happen to come across a beaver tail stand on the Canadian side. Do indulge. You won't regret it.

Safe trip!

Gassho, Shawn

If you come across an actual beaver... be careful. An American tourist was mauled recently we he approached a resting pride of beavers to take a photo.

Gassho
    Daizan

Hello Jundo,

safe travels! It's going to be a very inspiring trip!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Happy Trails Jundo and Leon!

Gassho
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    If you come across an actual beaver... be careful. An American tourist was mauled recently we he approached a resting pride of beavers to take a photo.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Yikes! Yes, the pastry version, although not healthy....is the healthier choice.

Gassho, Shawn

Jundo, Leon and Taigu, safe travels and thank you for this extraordinary way of getting together.

Gassho,
    Danny

So excited for you guys. I agree what an amazing experience!

Safe travels to you all.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Looking forward to the netcasts! I had the great privilege of meeting Jundo in Japan and you are all who are hosting him are all in for a treat! Sounds simply wonderful!
    Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

ZAZEN TIMES:

Thu July 17: Short Informal Sitting: New York 8am, Los Angeles 5am (Friday night), London 1pm and Paris 2pm

Sorry, just checking that these times are correct, it is Thursday morning, yes?

Gassho
    Lisa
    Last edited by Byokan; 07-17-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Sorry, just checking that these times are correct, it is Thursday morning, yes?

Gassho
    Lisa
    Arrived safely at Yugens place!

Yes, sorry Lisa, I fixed the day. It is Thursday.

Off to jetlag bed. Gassho, Jundo

Mp
    Off to jetlag bed
    Great to hear you two made it safe ad sound ... enjoy your jetlag dreams. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Enjoy that deep travel sleep!
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi Jundo!

I'm happy you guys got there safe. Enjoy your adventures!

Oh boy, I just realized we are almost in the same time zone for the first time

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

So happy to hear of your safe arrival. Enjoy each and every moment and please travel safely.

deep Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Glad to hear of your safe arrival, Jundo.

Happy trails!

Gassho
    Andy

Our Thursday Zazen with Yugen is here ...

Please sit along! We will sit about 30 minutes.

Gassho, Jundo

Kantai
    Sat with you one-way.
    Lovely! Have a nice trip!

Gassho
    Kantai

Gassho guys

Daido

Mp
    Good morning Jundo, Yugen, and everyone ... thank you for the wonderful morning sit. Now lets go shovel some compost! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Wonderful, wonderful! Thanks for the sit gentlemen.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Nindo
    Thanks for sharing Yugen

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I will be "joining" the sit after work today. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Wonderful! Thank you everyone!

Gassho
    Lisa

Sat with you guys on my lunch break. It is wonderful you guys are able to connect.

Hello,

thank you so much for taking the time to share your sitting Zazen!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Awesome. I'll sit with you guys tonight!

JUST A NOTE THAT THERE HAS BEEN A TIME CHANGE TO TONIGHT'S 90 minute ZAZENKAI WITH YUGEN, and WE WILL BE STARTING 2 HOURS LATER. I APOLOGIZE AGAIN TO FOLKS IN EUROPE THIS TIME:

TIME CHANGE:
    Fri July 18: 90 Minute Zazenkai - New York 10pm, Los Angeles 7pm (Friday night), London 3am and Paris 4am (early Saturday morning)

Yugen and I hope to sit with some folks then. Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-20-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Looking forward to zazen tonight. 10 pm EST

Gassho
    Daizan

JUST A NOTE THAT THERE HAS BEEN A TIME CHANGE TO TONIGHT'S 90 minute ZAZENKAI WITH YUGEN, and WE WILL BE STARTING 2 HOURS LATER.
    I'll sit with you guys on Saturday morning.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

On Friday's I get home from sangha at 10:30p. It would be the first time coming in LIVE to a Treeleaf sitting.
    It would be wonderful to welcome Jundo sensei to this Continent that way.
    I'll mute the mike, if there is no room, well I'll just sit.
    Gassho.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Mp
    Looking forward to sitting with you both, see you tonight. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast