Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TRAVEL DIARY: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (7/16-8/26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (8/9-14)

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Jundo's visit was very special and both he and Leon's absence are keenly felt today.

You are my Sangha and my family. That pretty much sums it up. To those of you who are hosting Jundo and Leon in his travels. as Hans as said, embrace this experience fully. If you have the opportunity to take some time and join him en route, please do so. It's worth it. Jundo lives his zen practice - he has a ready smile, a sense of gratitude, and a sharp sense of humor. He does not do 'milquetoast' zen - don't be lulled into complacency in by the humor and wit - he communicates the essence of the teachings in way that is accessible and relevant to each of his students. That is the sign of true mastery. Our household, and my practice are both changed profoundly after spending four days with him. I'm glad we could share it with you.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    This beautifully said Yugen ... I too wish one day to meet Jundo for real. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen

TRAVEL DIARY: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (7/16-8/26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (...

Shingen,
    You have met Jundo for real. You will realize that when you see him in physical proximity - that you have known one another for a very long time. These four days were the coming to fruition of causes and conditions which in turn have sown the seeds of future happenings. I can't explain it, but Dogen says its a time and space thing...... :-D

Gassho brother
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 07-21-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Mp
    Shingen,
    You have met Jundo for real. You will realize that when you see him in physical proximity - that you have known one another for a very long time. These four days were the coming to fruition of causes and conditions which in turn have sown the seeds of future happenings. I can't explain it, but Dogen says its a time and space thing...... :-D

Gassho brother
    Yugen
    Good point Yugen, thank you. I too thought about what I posted after I posted it and thought, "Yah ... I have met him already". I meet him every time I sit upon my zafu, when I do Dokusan, when I wash the dishes, and when I engage in every aspect of my life. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Just want to say Leon is much much better today. Seishin, the Red Sox are fine, but broke down and got Yankees tickets for next week. Mets fan myself, but the
    Yanks have Ozawa and (despite injury) Tanaka.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Seishin, the Red Sox are fine, but broke down and got Yankees tickets for next week. Mets fan myself, but the
    Yanks have Ozawa and (despite injury) Tanaka.
    I meant check out the park...the team is out of town. Citi Field and the new Yankee Stadium are nice, but they don't compare to Fenway, whether there is a game on or not.

But since you raised me two Japanese players, I'll call with two from the Sox: Junichi Tazawa and Koji Uehara, the latter being the man on the mound when they won the World Series last October. So there.

Have fun!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Jundo's visit was very special and both he and Leon's absence are keenly felt today.

You are my Sangha and my family. That pretty much sums it up. To those of you who are hosting Jundo and Leon in his travels. as Hans as said, embrace this experience fully. If you have the opportunity to take some time and join him en route, please do so. It's worth it. Jundo lives his zen practice - he has a ready smile, a sense of gratitude, and a sharp sense of humor. He does not do 'milquetoast' zen - don't be lulled into complacency in by the humor and wit - he communicates the essence of the teachings in way that is accessible and relevant to each of his students. That is the sign of true mastery. Our household, and my practice are both changed profoundly after spending four days with him. I'm glad we could share it with you.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    That's beautiful...thank you. I'll be sitting with these Zazenkai's soon (after my own travels), but just wanted to say thank you. Very glad to be able to watch and experience this along with everyone here.

Gassho
    Shōmon

That was beautiful Yugen.

Thank you for sharing so many details of the journey. Thank you for letting us be a part of your epic trip.

Deep bows,
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

This is awesome ... Sitting by your side on this trip, glad to hear Leon is ok, and seeing you soon on the next zazenkai

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

So lovely to watch this all unfold. Beautiful words, Yugen. Thank you.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you for sharing Jundo and Yugen - and thank you for the talk Yugen - 'the stories that we bring'
    is a subject close to all our hearts.

Hope Leon is feeling better - croup is not nice

Gassho

Willow

Hi Guys,

Our next Zazenkai will be with Rich in Rhode Island ...

NEXT ZAZEN SITTING:
    WEDNESDAY July 23: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm, London 2am and Paris 3am

(TIME SUBJECT TO CHANGE, SO PLEASE CHECK BACK)

I understand that, due to his back, Rich must sit in a chair and sometimes stand or recline. So, I will be sitting in a chair and sometimes standing or reclining if needed. Please join us if you can.

Rich says his wifi might not hold the video, so please be patient if so.

I will try to make the next Zazenkai at a time a bit better for the European crowd or for everyone.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - Leon pretty much all better today. Thank you all for the good thoughts.
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-22-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Hi Jundo, all set here for your visit. See you tomorrow - Wednesday at 10:30.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

I'll be there Wednesday evening... video or no.

Gassho
    Daizan

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and Rich, I will be there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Very nicely put Yungen.
    He seems to be moving Dharma dynamo.
    This trip wil prove to be a mile stone for Treeleaf Sangha.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Hi Jundo!

I'll try to be there live.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'll be here.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Be here although not necessarily live

Gassho
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Good point Yugen, thank you. I too thought about what I posted after I posted it and thought, "Yah ... I have met him already". I meet him every time I sit upon my zafu, when I do Dokusan, when I wash the dishes, and when I engage in every aspect of my life. =)

Gassho
    Shingen
    Thank you Shingen and Yugen. It is interesting, I have been involved with Buddhist community locally for years, and this sangha is more present than any I have participated in. Usually (and isn't this typical ?) when you are involved with a temple or center, you go once or twice a week for shared practice or to speak with the teacher. Here we are in touch daily and you all feel present all the time. Every day there is an opportunity for shared sitting.. I am so grateful to sit each morning with a sangha mate, and if schedules change there is always someone to sit with. You are all much more present than the weekend sangha of the average temple.

I look forward to meeting Jundo and presenting my mostly happy mess unvarnished, but I imagine it will be more about meeting another dimension rather than adding anything more real.

Gassho
    Daizan

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Thank you Shingen and Yugen. It is interesting, I have been involved with Buddhist community locally for years, and this sangha is more present than any I have participated in. Usually (and isn't this typical ?) when you are involved with a temple or center, you go once or twice a week for shared practice or to speak with the teacher. Here we are in touch daily and you all feel present all the time. Every day there is an opportunity for shared sitting.. I am so grateful to sit each morning with a sangha mate, and if schedules change there is always someone to sit with. You are all much more present than the weekend sangha of the average temple.

I look forward to meeting Jundo and presenting my mostly happy mess unvarnished, but I imagine it will be more about meeting another dimension rather than adding anything more real.

Gassho
    Daizan
    that is so very helpful as one is looking at "real" and " virtual" sanghas. Thank you.

gassho
    john

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    How amazing it is to watch all of this unfold. Ordinary and extraordinary! Dogen is clear about the blessing and wonder of being able to practice (in his time of frequent strife and upheaval). How wondrous to be able to sit together (in our time of strife and upheaval) with the Buddhas and ancestors and each other across time and space, and also to come together in a shared time and space.

Glad to hear Leon is full steam again. Continued safe travels fellas!

Deep bows to all.
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post

Gassho
    Daizan
    I couldn't agree more. this feels more like constant feel of a real monastery than meeting with people once a week.
    Look forward to sitting with Rich. Awesome trip!

Gassho
    C

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Very nice.

Glad Leon is ok

Go Red Sox..

Gassho
    C

Hey Guys,

Waiting on train to Rich. Boston was great, including Museum of Fine Arts (I gave Leon an introduction to the entire history of Western art in 2 crazy funny hours, plus one great collection of Japanese art), Plymouth Plantation (where they very honestly recreate how the Pilgrims lived who came on the Mayflower, including how the local indiginous Americans felt about it) and Leon' s first real rock concert (a 90s retro thing with Sugar Ray. .. who was surprisingly GREAT. .. and Smash Mouth. Leon thought it too loud even with ear plugs).

On to Rhode Island!

Gassho, Jundo Ray
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Joyo
    Although I am not able to meet Jundo face-to-face this summer, reading these posts have been a great reminder on how closely knit this sangha really is. Jundo, hope you and Leon continue to have a wonderful trip, and I am happy to read here that he is feeling better. Safe travels.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Dear All,

Our Zazenkai from Rhode Island with Rich (who I today found out was this year on the US National Hockey Championship Team, Over 65 Division!), will be here ...

Here is Rich, third from right in front row ...

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-24-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Kyotai
    That is awesome Rich!

Gassho, Shawn

Mp
    Wonderful Jundo and Rich ... wonderful to sit with you all. =) Have a great night.

Gassho
    Shingen

P.S. A hockey star! Can I have your autograph Rich? =)

Thanks Rich and Jundo. Rich thank you for opening up your home for all of us. I feel more in the "Ocean State" than ever. Great picture, even though you are all crazy

Gassho
    C

Gassho and thank you.

Daizan

Wow Rich...color me impressed! And, generally, always nice to see anyone enjoying the game.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Rich - hockey - too cool. Thank you for inviting us into your home!

The Ocean State

Gassho
    Lisa

Mp
    Hello Jundo,

I liked the Amtrak zazen Jundo ... but wow, if I slept like Leon did, I would be paying for it! LOL

Gassho
    Shingen

Thanks everyone. I very much enjoyed Jundo and Leon's visit. Jundo has a way of making one comfortable. We laughed a lot, sat, had some fun listening to the Allman Bros, walked by the ocean, cooked a meal, pulled vines out by the rose bush , sat some more, not necessarily in that order.
    But I think the hockey kyosaku stick was pretty pretty over the top. lol -)

Rich - Muhyo
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks everyone. I very much enjoyed Jundo and Leon's visit. Jundo has a way of making one comfortable. We laughed a lot, sat, had some fun listening to the Allman Bros, walked by the ocean, cooked a meal, pulled vines out by the rose bush , sat some more, not necessarily in that order.
    But I think the hockey kyosaku stick was pretty pretty over the top. lol -)

Rich - Muhyo
    And thank you Rich for being such a wonderful host ... and I have said this before, a big thank you for taking such good care of our traveling jewels. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

What Daizan and everyone saying about this virtual sangha being almost more real and accessible: I would love to echo that! Sounds like an amazing trip, gassho!
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I liked the Amtrak zazen Jundo ... but wow, if I slept like Leon did, I would be paying for it! LOL
    I enjoyed it too. And I agree about the sleeping position, but you can do that kind of thing when you are young! Now we have to work at it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you for welcoming us into your home Rich - and thank you Jundo for sharing this amazing journey,

Gassho

Willow

Hey Guys,

In the Big Apple, where we rode that Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, ate Pizza, visited the 9-11 Memorial (which I explained to Leon who really did not know much about the details) and saw one of the most amazing modern dance companies out there ... Pilobolus. As a matter of fact, got tickets for another program by them tomorrow night. Leon really liked them too.

Tomorrow, heading to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and the Jewish Museum to expose Leon to that part of my roots. Also, Chinatown because the noodles are good.

Gassho, J

Jundo,

Neat-o! Thanks for all the updates.
    It's nice to think of Leon in the future, how he will always remember this crazy trip with his Dad when he was a kid.

Gassho
    Lisa

Very cool Jundo! Enjoy NYC with Leon. Hoping to experience that with my boys someday too.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Such a lovely gift to Leon. He'll remember this forever.

Gassho
    John

Nindo
    Hello Jundo,

Gassho
    Shingen
    Was that in a video? Can't find it

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Was that in a video? Can't find it
    Hello Nindo,

Here is the video =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Nindo
    Thanks Shingen

Hey Guys,

Just some update on our next three Zazenkai. Dosho is trying for some times to allow some European folks to join us too.

With Dosho (and perhaps some surprise guests) ...

MONDAY July 28: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 9am, Los Angeles 6am, London 2pm and Paris 3pm

-----

With Daizan, Shokai, Dosho (and some other welcome folks) somewhere near (or under) Niagara Falls! ...

TIME TO BE DETERMINED during Tuesday July 29 and early Wednesday July 30th (Please Check Back)

------

With Dosho ...

WEDNESDAY July 30: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 4pm, Los Angeles 1pm, London 9pm and Paris 10pm

Time to Sit!

Gassho, Jundo

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just some update on our next three Zazenkai. Dosho is trying for some times to allow some European folks to join us too.

With Dosho (and perhaps some surprise guests) ...

MONDAY July 28: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 9am, Los Angeles 6am, London 2pm and Paris 3pm

-----

With Daizan, Shokai, Dosho (and some other welcome folks) somewhere near (or under) Niagara Falls! ...

TIME TO BE DETERMINED during Tuesday July 29 and early Wednesday July 30th (Please Check Back)

------

With Dosho ...

WEDNESDAY July 30: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 4pm, Los Angeles 1pm, London 9pm and Paris 10pm

Time to Sit!

Gassho, Jundo
    Thank you Jundo,

Nice to see you have made it safe and sound. =) I will be sitting with you live on those sits. =)

Under Niagara Falls? Wow, better where my shower cap!

Gassho
    Shingen

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast