Thread: Boundless joy

Boundless joy

Having recently been going through some things, I stumbled and got caught up in my worries. I even stopped sitting for awhile and forgot my teachings. In another thread, Jundo gave me a beautifully written reminder.

I learned or should I say re-learned? (I ask the question like that to emphasize, at least in my case, we are capable of forgetting) The most important aspect of a fruitful practice is to sit. Zen foremost and most importantly being a practice. This practice requires us to take action, the action of no action. All the teachings can be found there.

---------

“This ordinary everyday sitting is itself boundless joy.

To transcend the world directly, to manifest the magnificence of the buddha ancestors’ house—this is sitting in the meditation posture. To leap over the heads of outsiders and demons and become a true person inside the buddha ancestors’ room—this is sitting in the meditation posture. To sit in the meditation posture is to transcend the deepest and most intimate teaching of buddha ancestors. Thus, buddha ancestors practice this way without needing to do anything else.”

Dogen
    Last edited by Troy; 07-15-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Me too I left practice for a while, years ago, while in troubles. A mistake... In hard times we should have to emphasize practice.

Gassho.

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing Troy. Back to basics - to sit. Too often I forget that to taste the fruit of practice we must as in everything else make the right effort. In our case diligently practicing this vigorous non-effort of sitting zazen. Thank you again for the inspiration.

Gassho
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Kyotai
    Yes, I too have gotten away from zazen when times were rocky. I since have learned to try and sit through thick and thin. I ALWAYS have had to return to practice. So now I try to practice through it all.

Thanks for sharing Troy.

Gassho, Shawn

So good to see this, Troy. It is all too easy to abandon practice when times get hard (I have done this often myself) but where else are we going to find such a wonderful way to sit with what is happening and maybe even find some solace?

Amazing how sometimes we need just a small reminder to go back to what we know. Sitting is the place where Zen (and most of the rest of life) starts to make sense .

Gassho
    Andy

It is interesting to see that sometimes I don't sit as often when "times are good", also.

Practice, practice, practice... and maybe still a bit of fun-- Priorities

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Boundless joy expresses itself with a simple smile on or off the cushion.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Mp
    That is a beautiful reminder Troy, thank you! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Kyotai
    A side note. In times past, my wife would always know when I was not sitting regularly because of my mood. As a non buddhist, a Catholic no less, she always reminds me to get back on the cushion. Lucky guy I am.

Gassho, Shawn

boundless joy is found when my 2 year old son wakes up while i am sitting next to him, and he smiles and says, "birds sing...tweet tweet tweet peep peep."

The times where I have strayed from practice have been the boom times, when things are "going my way". When the world seems to think I am shiny and self image is all shiny. In the traditional teachings of the six realms, it is the heaven beings that seem the most stuck. It is the disturbed states that point to a different way of being. When things are tough the cushion is a refuge.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Last edited by RichardH; 07-15-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    The times where I have strayed from practice have been the boom times, when things are "going my way". When the world seems to think I am shiny and self image is all shiny. In the traditional teachings of the six realms, it is the heaven beings that seem the most stuck. It is the disturbed states that point to a different way of being. When things are tough the cushion is a refuge.

Gassho
    Daizan
    This has been my experience as well Daizan. Though now I try to practice with regularity regardless. The tough times, as we are discussing about the Garuda Bird, do test us though.

Gassho
    C