Thread: Order of Buddhist Contemplatives

Order of Buddhist Contemplatives

Hello all

Does anyone know anything about the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives? I was just speaking with a friend in Wales who is interested in attending one of their centres and asked if I knew of them.

They are a Soto tradition and have temples and centres in the US and UK.

Gassho
    Andy

Hi Andy,
    I have been many times on retreat and sesshin to their Throssel Hole Monastery in Hexam, North England, my first. teacher was a priest of this Tradition and I know the monks here in Wales in the Great Ocean Dharma Refuge. Not much to say except their good people and every time I've been to the Monastery they are very welcoming. Probably the only thing that may be an issue is that some say their ceremonies 'cathollisized' but very beautiful, apart from this their practice is traditionally soto. If your friend has any specific questions Andy I'll answer them if I can.

Gassho

Taikyo

Thank you very much, Taikyo. I greatly appreciate your feedback. From the website it looked like a genuine Soto tradition but it is always good to hear from someone who has actual experience of the organisation.

Gassho
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Taikyo View Post
    Hi Andy,
    I have been many times on retreat and sesshin to their Throssel Hole Monastery in Hexam, North England, my first. teacher was a priest of this Tradition and I know the monks here in Wales in the Great Ocean Dharma Refuge. Not much to say except their good people and every time I've been to the Monastery they are very welcoming. Probably the only thing that may be an issue is that some say their ceremonies 'cathollisized' but very beautiful, apart from this their practice is traditionally soto. If your friend has any specific questions Andy I'll answer them if I can.

Gassho

Taikyo
    Yes, very Soto and a very unique blend of some Catholic/Anglican flavors. For example, the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives based their chants on Anglican church music "plainsong", so the result is something much like lovely "Gregorian Chants". Here is their "Identity of Relative and Absolute/Sandokai" ... Lovely ...

http://www.shastaabbey.org/audio/musicSandokai.mp3

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello Andy,

I think it is interesting to see such diversity in modern Zen teaching...even if some particular approaches don't prove to be popular in the long run of the centuries to come...even that can be a lesson.
    The chanting sounds very...different!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Very beautiful chanting

Gassho
    John

Hi Andy,

There are quite a few OBC/Serene Reflection sitting groups in the UK. It's not one I have sat with before, but maybe your friend could attend a local group before going on a retreat to get a feel for the practice?

http://www.thezengateway.com/teachers-temples

dated but maybe useful:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...cc4&dg=feature

Gassho,
    Genshin

Interesting Andy, thanks for sharing.
    Gassho
    C

Thank you all! The chanting is really interesting. On the website they talk about congregation and ministers so I guess the plainsong feel comes from a similar place.

My friend is grateful for the feedback and looking forward to going.

Gassho
    Andy