Thread: UPDATE: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (Jul 16-Aug 26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (Aug 9-14)

UPDATE: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (Jul 16-Aug 26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (Aug 9-14)

Dear All.

An UPDATE on our DHARMA WHISTLE STOP & SIT ACROSS AMERICA and WASHINGTON DC RETREAT!

July and August of this year (2014) will be very eventful for our community! Of course, August 9th through 14th, Taigu will be guiding a SESSHIN in WASHINGTON D.C.. That Retreat will be attended by many in our Sangha, and is a nearly week long residential retreat that is not to be missed if at all possible. DETAILS HERE. Please do all you can to attend this special event and opportunity.

And for those of our members in the Eastern United States (sorry that I could not get west of the Mississippi this time), if you cannot come to the Washington Retreat due to economic, health, work or family need, we are trying to bring a little Retreat to you! We are holding our first "DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA 2014". From July 16th to August 26th, Jundo (and his 11 year old son, Leon) will be following the Amtrak far and wide from Maine to New York to Niagara Falls Canada to Washington D.C. to the Deep South then Chicago and points between ... getting to know and bringing a little Retreat to our members unable to be in Washington.

HERE IS THE SCHEDULE SO FAR, AND WHO WE WILL BE VISITING. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME PEOPLE IN DRIVING DISTANCE MIGHT JOIN US AT POINTS (please contact the people mentioned to see if such arrangements are possible) ...

+ July 16 to early July 21 - with YUGEN in BRUNSWICK, MAINE

+ July 21 to July 22 - Boston

+ July 23 - with RICH in RHODE ISLAND

+ July 24 to July 26 - New York City

+ July 27 to July 28 (and part of July 30) - with DOSHO in ROCHESTER, NEW YORK

+ July 29 and early July 30 - with DAIZAN and SHOKAI in NIAGARA FALLS, CANADA (details here)

+ July 31 to Aug 2 - New York City

+ Aug 3 - with DAIJO in NEW JERSEY (hiking part of Appalachian Trail!)

+ Aug 4 to Aug 6 - Williamsburg and Richmond Virginia

+ Aug 7 - with RISHO in TAMPA, FLORIDA

+ Aug 8 - Orlando

+ Aug 9 to Aug 14 -
    WASHINGTON DC RETREAT with TAIGU (Jundo will attend last day) DETAILS HERE

+ Aug 15 - Priests Powwow on the Potomac

+ Aug 16 - Baltimore, Maryland

+ Aug 17 to Aug 18 - with CLARK in NORTHEAST GEORGIA

+ Aug 19 - with ALAN.R in SPARTANBURG, SOUTH CAROLINA

+ Aug 20 to Aug 21 - with SYDNEY in MISSISSIPPI

+ Aug 22 - with NENKA in SPRINGFIELD or CHICAGO ILLINOIS (meeting place to be confirmed)

+ Aug 23 to Aug 26 - CHICAGO AREA

I sincerely apologize to the several people ... such as Justin in Indiana, Matt in Kansas, Brian in Ohio, and others ... who were very kind to extend an invitation I could not meet this time due to the routing. Through Zen Practice, I have fully transcended time and space ... but not Amtrak schedules! I can be everywhere in the universe at once ... but not two places at once! I am still trying to squeeze in a couple of more folks somehow.

(Here are the general Amtrak route maps to give an idea where we are heading)

(sorry that I will not get west of the Mississippi River this time, but I will do my best to hold a similar "Dharma Tracks Across Europe" in 2015 and another "Dharma Tracks" for the Western U.S. and parts of Canada in 2016)

I plan to hold a small Zazenkai (to be netcast where possible, just like the ones we hold here at Treeleaf each week) with all the people we meet ... right from their living rooms!. Other than that, the only plan is to "hang out", nothing fancy, sit on the porch and get to know each other, share some time. We welcome a place to sleep on a fold out bed or the floor.

The Buddha walked barefoot hundreds of miles across northern India. In the old days, Zen folks wandered from temple to temple looking like this ...

My boy and I will pretty much be a t-shirt clad father and son with a couple of backpacks and a tired look from 15 hour train trips!

(One other reason I am making this trip with my son is that Leon does not know America very much, so this is a chance to show him some of that part of his culture at the same time. I am hoping to show him some American history, life and nature along the way ... especially as he is going to have to be stuck tagging along with his dad for 6 weeks! I am hoping that, on the way to visit our Treeleaf members, I can show him some of that.)

To repeat: We plan to visit folks who cannot possibly attend the Sesshin in Washington in mid-August due to economic, health or family restrictions (and some people who will be attending the Washington Sesshin as well).

This is another great experiment for this "Sangha beyond here or there" with many people who due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, cannot attend a Sitting easily, as we see if the Sangha & Sittings can come to them!

My son and I would very much look forward to meeting so many of you, sharing some time and sitting Zazen together!

"WHISTLE STOP & SIT" Gassho, Jundo

PS - If you wonder how I can get away from work for such a period, well, my work as a translator of Japanese is pretty portable. And my patient wife and her mom will be tending to our 3-year old back home.
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wow.

Deep bows , Daizan

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Wow.

Deep bows , Daizan
    WOW is right! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Wonderful. What a journey, it reminds me of my days touring with the band.

Anyone wishing to join us in New Jersey (North Western NJ, about 45 minutes from Manhattan) please pm me for the details. We would love to have you.

Gassho,

Daijo

Quote Originally Posted by Daijo View Post
    Wonderful. What a journey, it reminds me of my days touring with the band.
    But no drugs, groupies or sold out shows on this road tour.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    groupies
    We are all your groupies Jundo.

Gassho
    Shingen

This is awesome! We are moving to Pennsylvania next week, and it appears that I will be about 3 hours from Dosho and about 3 hours from Daijo in New Jersey, so I will see what I can do. My life is crazy right now with this move, but I will make every effort to make one of these stops.

Thank you for posting your trip plans Jundo.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Haha, if people only knew....I suppose if you're in Led Zeppelin. Of course for the rest of us, it's 14 hours a day in a cramped van, 4 hours of sleep if you're lucky, and the groupies are just large sweaty men who are highly intoxicated, speak little to no English, and want to talk a lot. lol Rock and Roll.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daijo View Post
    Haha, if people only knew....I suppose if you're in Led Zeppelin. Of course for the rest of us, it's 14 hours a day in a cramped van, 4 hours of sleep if you're lucky, and the groupies are just large sweaty men who are highly intoxicated, speak little to no English, and want to talk a lot. lol Rock and Roll.
    LOL ... Oh the life. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I am very content to say that Sydney just confirmed the Mississippi leg of the trip. Juki in Tallahassee said he is going to try to come down to Tampa/Orlando, and Catfish Nengyo is going to try to catch up with our sitting in Georgia! Brian said he might try to get over from Toledo to catch us in Chicago maybe.

Still trying to squeeze more folks in as we can.

Gassho, Jundo

Safe travels to Jundo and son and Taigu on your journeys this summer.

If somehow you get lost in South Texas, we would look forward to hosting you.

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista View Post
    Thank you, Erik. That is very kind. It will not be this trip (except in heart), although there will be ... if life allows ... a similar trip in Europe perhaps next year, and the Western US and Canada the year following.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista View Post
    West Texas has room too.

Gassho, Jishin.

Just amazing
    Have a good journey!

Gassho

Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

While you are in the DC metro/Baltimore area, I would be happy to meet you for tea (or coffee, as the case may be).

Hands palm-to-palm,

Perry
    To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Quote Originally Posted by Saijun View Post
    While you are in the DC metro/Baltimore area, I would be happy to meet you for tea (or coffee, as the case may be).

Hands palm-to-palm,

Perry
    Hi Perry,

I will write you. I take it that you will not be able to get to any part of the Retreat guided by Taigu, August 9th thru 14th, in Leesburg Virginia (not too far from Dulles Airport)? I will be there on the final day. You should really try if you can.

Some other days, I will be doing some tourist things in the DC area for my son Leon to introduce him to Washington, but I am sure there will be plenty of time to meet and chat and sit a bit. I thought you were in Colorado!?

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-25-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Kyotai
    (Daizan, please clear your inbox. Cannot message you, says inbox has reached maximum storage)

Hello Daizan.

I have not been able to get the time off work due to others on vacation and such, so I will most definitely not be attending, which is very unfortunate.

Hope you are well. Enjoy the visit.

Gassho, Shawn

You'll be missed.

I hope you get some time off to enjoy our brief summer!

Gassho Daizan

Kyotai
    Thank you Daizan. I hope to meet fellow Treeleafers in person, perhaps for a cup of tea one day soon.

I apologize that I cannot attend.

Gassho, Shawn

You will be there is heart, Shawn.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I am very content to say that Sydney just confirmed the Mississippi leg of the trip. Juki in Tallahassee said he is going to try to come down to Tampa/Orlando, and Catfish Nengyo is going to try to catch up with our sitting in Georgia! Brian said he might try to get over from Toledo to catch us in Chicago maybe.

Still trying to squeeze more folks in as we can.

Gassho, Jundo
    Does that mean you will be coming through St. Louis? If so, depending on the date, I could meet up there for a visit.

Hi Troy,

I am afraid that I will be down in Mississippi, then right up toward Chicago, and the schedule is already pretty tight. It is surprising how even 6 weeks is not that long when America is so big! I almost was heading to Springfield Ill., not so far from you, to meet Nenka ... but looks like Nenka is coming up to Chicago instead. If that changes, I will let you know. Otherwise, I will also have to meet you in heart, Troy.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-09-2014 at 01:23 PM.

In the heart is always a good place to meet

Pilgrimage in Zen Tradition

Good morning, everyone.
    Envy is arising, as Jundo et al are getting ready for their trip to the eastern US. Then I remembered the tradition of pilgrimage in zen. Bodhidharma, Hui-Neng, Zhaozhou, Dogen, Ikkyu, Tosui and many other ancients spent years as vagabonds. In Japan, this part of a monk's development was called "angya." Even the big guy, Gotama, spent 9 months a year for 45 years wandering around northern India. That's a lot of miles and a lot of smiles.

Pilgrimage is little talked about in mainstream religious practice, exactly because it is a journey away from any mainstream. It is a journey into not-knowing. "You cannot travel the path until you have become the path," said Gotama.

Say, Jundo, is there a way for those of us not on your planned route to stay tuned in?

As my hiker friend Strider says, "travel far, carry little, keep it simple, lighten up."

Journeying to my zafu, Shinzan

Hi Shinzan,

Yes, mine will be a traditional Zen pilgrimage ... except for the computer, Kindle and smart phone, motels and friend's guest beds I will be occupying. Oh, and most monks of the past did not travel with their 11 year old son.

However, apart from that, we are trying to keep the possessions down ... a few t-shirts, couple of pants, socks, shorts and one pair of shoes, a toothbrush, razor and not much more for six weeks. Oh, and a porta-Zafu!

We will be having a series of Zazenkai (live and recorded on Google+) with each Treeleaf member we visit, from Maine to Mississippi. I will post the schedule in a couple of days and, of course, check in here daily too.

And, of course, the Retreat in Washington guided by Taigu will be live netcast during August too.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-09-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks, Jundo.
    "Arm-chair voyager" Shinzan

I'm loving this = looking forward to the net casts,

another 'arm-chair voyager',

Gassho

Willow

vaya con dios across the broad face you'll be crossing!

gassho,

Oheso
    and neither are they otherwise.