Planning is moving into high gear for the August 9-14 retreat. First I'd like to apologize for delays in providing relevant information. I know folks want to make travel arrangements so timely information is important. The purpose of this post is to provide relevant information regarding registration, travel, and schedule updates:
1) We are able to accept registration and deposits for the retreat at this time. If you plan on attending the retreat please PM me and I will forward a registration form to you. This form will request emergency contact data, dates of attendance, and any health conditions and/or dietary needs of which we should be aware. Requests for financial adjustment for the cost of the retreat can also be made on the registration form. Information regarding the manner in which to make the initial deposit will be on included on the form. Once again, please PM me for the registration form if you plan on attending so we can get you set up.
2) The retreat begins on the morning of Saturday August 9 and ends about 2 PM on Thursday August 14. Please make travel arrangements so that you are at the retreat location on the late afternoon or evening of Friday, August 8. If you cannot make the entire retreat that is fine - please indicate on the registration form which days you plan to attend. We do request that of you arrive while the retreat is underway, that you arrive in time to begin the day's activity. If that is not possible, please plan to arrive at midday, during lunch. We'd like to minimize the disruption of arrivals during practice periods. As previously noted, Dokan has graciously offered us the use of his home for the retreat. The address will be on the registration form.
3) Our colleague and Sangha member Seizan has volunteered to track and coordinate travel arrangements for those attending the retreat. Please email her with your travel arrangements. She will collect this information and determine whether or not group transportation to/from Dulles Airport is desirable/possible. If people arrive in close time proximity to one another, we will consider renting a van or similar arrangement. If arrival times are too scattered, ride sharing is possible. Please email Seizan at firstname.lastname@example.org with your travel arrangements once these are made.
4) We plan on a vegetarian menu for the duration of the retreat. Please indicate on the registration form if you have any specific dietary needs or restrictions. If you have specific accomodation requests/concerns, please PM me directly. As space is limited, we will be sharing several rooms and request that everyone where possible bring a sleeping bag. For those traveling in from overseas, this may be cumbersome. Please let me know if you require a sleeping bag - I have several extras if you need one. Also, please bring a rakusu or kesa sewing project as there will be sewing practice during the retreat. If you are not yet in the process of preapring for Jukai and do not have sewing project in progress, don't worry. It will be possible to be part of this activity by working with a partner.
5) Once folks are registered, we will provide specific information regarding retreat etiquette, schedule, and jobs during the retreat. Everyone will be expected to contribute as part of retreat attendance.
6) Costs - for the retreat deposit, please calculate 20. USD per day you plan on attending up to a maximum of 100. USD. The deposit is expected at the time of registration form submission. Due to a generous donation form a Sangha member, we are able to offer limited "scholarships" or "stipends" to make it possible for individuals to attend. The maximum retreat attendance fee will be 200 USD but we will are now able to make allowances for those with limited budgets. If you would like to request a retreat "stipend," please indicate this on the registration form. Please be realistic about your ability to contribute the attendance fee. If your need is genuine, we can make assistance available. We do not want financial considerations to prevent individuals from attending.
That's it for now. Please PM me with questions and/or to request a registration form. Please also include your email address so I can send the form. It is in word format and cannot be attached to a PM.