Thread: A wearable device for meditators

A wearable device for meditators

I had some thoughts today about fitness trackers, and how a similar device could work for meditators:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/a-wearable-...or-meditators/

:-)

Gassho,

Kirk

Hello Kirk,

That made Holy Saturday wholly holey!

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Hello Kirk,

Hmmm ... to be honest that is what came to mind when I read about this product. The one thing that concerns me with this is ...

It could also attribute points – let’s call them Karma Points – for your sessions. You could compete with friends to see who meditates the most, and participate in groups, just as you can with many of the existing fitness trackers. And, you can track every meditation session you do, even those brief InstaZen® you do on the bus, while waiting in line at banks, and in traffic jams.
    IMHO zazen is not about a competition or to gain something; to compare with others who is better and who sits longer. I do agree that technology can play a wonderful roll in helping with our practice, but to use zazen or meditation to promote product sales just seems ... hhmmmm. But that is just me. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

It was meant as a bit of humor. :-)

Gassho,
    Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    It was meant as a bit of humor. :-)
    Well in that case, it was pretty funny lol. A satire of the cultural fetish of idolizing competition. In general, it's a pretty cool idea, though perhaps we could also rack brain waves via blue tooth somehow. Then it could say, "You hit satori today!" or, "You had makyo! Keep on going!" Hahaha.

Gassho, Foolish John

The thing is, the way the world works today, I could imagine a company selling a device doing exactly what I suggested. So while it's meant as humor, your reaction shows that it's plausible. (I added a disclaimer at the end of the post so others don't think it's real.)

Gassho,

Kirk

Kirk,
    We could have auto-texts sent to the competition at the end of each session. Here's a few ideas:

"I kick your ass at meditation."
    "Eat my samadhi dust, loser."
    Or
    "I got kensho while you were still in diapers, buddy."

Gassho
    Myozan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

how about adding "My shikantaza is so good, I make your Power of Now look like the power of then...."

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Haha can picture the commentary for a meditation championship (said in rapid fire, exuberant speech of course). "And they're off! The meditators are bowing to their zafus, Shoji is the first one down! Look at how focused he is as he sways on the cushion. Isurushin is on the zafu, he didn't even need to settle in!" "Oh he's just gone straight to the equanimity stage Bob! The other sitters are going to have play some catch up!"

Gassho Foolish John

Wow, where can I get one of each of these..

gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

We're SO going to crush the competition at this year's championships! No mercy! Let them cry into their robes and go home to their MOMMIES....
    Gassho
    Myozan

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    We're SO going to crush the competition at this year's championships!
    This years champions eh ... well, I have the t-shirts made already, so might have to be next years champs! *lol*

Gassho
    Shingen

I would totally buy a meditation tracking band.

I'd also add an electroshock function. This way no one would fall asleep ever again! ZZZZT

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍