Thread: Article about buddhism and go

Article about buddhism and go

For the go players here (I know there are a few):

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/the-game-go

Bill Cobb is a very smart guy, but I disagree with a lot of the philosophical points he tries to squeeze into the game.

He wrote a book that is a collection of essays, some of which go into much more detail about these questions:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-most-in...ive-ever-read/

It is the most interesting book about go I've ever read, because it doesn't discuss games and moves.

Gassho,

Kirk

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing this Kirk. I just ordered a copy of the book and look forward to exploring some of Bill's ruminations in greater detail.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thanks for this. Strangely, I never related go to Buddhist things; this will enrich my enjoyment of the game. M

I wonder if we should set up some sort of Treeleaf go event. I haven't played seriously in a while, but I'd be happy to play any Treeleaf members on KGS. I'm around 5-6 kyu.

Gassho,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I wonder if we should set up some sort of Treeleaf go event. I haven't played seriously in a while, but I'd be happy to play any Treeleaf members on KGS. I'm around 5-6 kyu.

Gassho,

Kirk
    Since every Go event needs a hands-down loser, I'm in. I'm around 20 kyu. (For people unfamiliar, the higher your kyu number, the worse you suck at Go.)
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

Yes, go rankings go from 30 to 1 kyu, then from 1 to 9 dan.

Gassho,

Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

I would love this! I was around 15kyu when I stopped playing a few years ago. I still think Go is one of humanity's greatest discoveries though.

Anyhow, even if we just met once a month or something to play a few games and kibitz, that would be great. Or once a week? The Teaparty on Sunday, and the Go party on Saturday?

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-15-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: teh grammars

Sure, I'd like that. I stopped playing because I got too obsessed by the game, but occasional games with like-minded people would be fun. I'd be more than happy to help you DDKs too. :-)

Tenuki,

Kirk

I started playing go in college, many years ago. it pretty quickly became a passion and another layer of friendship between me and my best friend.
    these days, kono goro wa, I struggle with small-scale go problems on an app on my iphone. thanks for the book recommendation.

gassho,

Robt
    and neither are they otherwise.

I'd be more than happy to help you DDKs too. :-)
    That would be awesome. I felt pretty stuck in the DDKs when I stopped playing (that isn't why I stopped, just busy with too many responsibilities and hobbies at the time).

Onagashimasu!
    Sekishi

Well, let's find a time to get a group together. I'm on the UK, so we need to factor in the time difference.

Gassho,
    Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.