Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: - REDUX-NOT-TWO - Sunday (March 30th) Zazenkai with DAIHO HILBERT Roshi is HERE!!

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant event.

Thank you to Daiho and Jundo for this.

Lots to sit with and learn.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

With palms together, Please allow me to thank each of you for siting with me and listening to my stumbling talk. While I wanted to address engaged practice, trauma just has a way of arising. And maybe that is its nature. Anyway, nine bows to you, Jundo, for inviting me to offer myself to your Sangha. And bows to each of those who attended and especially to those who engaged me at the end. I am sorry we could not hear the student from Mexico. Perhaps he could write his question and I will address him. My email address is: harveyhilbert@yahoo.com. Again, thank you. Daiho

Hello,

Best 'stumbling' heard at this moment. Thanks.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiho View Post
    With palms together, Please allow me to thank each of you for siting with me and listening to my stumbling talk. While I wanted to address engaged practice, trauma just has a way of arising. And maybe that is its nature. Anyway, nine bows to you, Jundo, for inviting me to offer myself to your Sangha. And bows to each of those who attended and especially to those who engaged me at the end. I am sorry we could not hear the student from Mexico. Perhaps he could write his question and I will address him. My email address is: harveyhilbert@yahoo.com. Again, thank you. Daiho
    Thank you Daiho for your time and talk ... I very much enjoyed your reflection on engage practice. =) I have a family member who is faced with a substance abuse problem due to his life long battle with loneliness and sadness. Your perspective has been helpful and insightful. =)

Deep bows
    Shingen

Just finished sitting and listening with/to this. Very much enjoyed it. Thank you Diaho and thank you Jundo for arranging this.

Gassho
    Shōmon

Thank you
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I will be thinking about your talk, Rev. Daiho, thank you. Very relevant to me now, and many others. Not a stumbling talk at all! Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you so much, Daiho, for taking the time to talk to us. Your words around trauma and sitting for peace are very meaningful to me.

With deep bows
    Andy

Daiho,
    Deep gratitude for these teachings.

Gassho, Entai

Sitting this one now. Gassho, Matt J

Thank you, Daiho, for this talk, and to Jundo for facilitating. As I have been thinking about Daiho Roshi's talk, I have been wondering, for those of us who have been fortunate not to have experienced trauma, how do we live in a non-fearful way while knowing that trauma is a possibility?

Specifically, I have to admit that, having a young daughter, the gun violence here in the U.S. scares me. I am trying not to push away the fear that arises while at the same time not holding onto that fear.

I would be interested to hear how others respond to this sort of thing.

Gassho,
    Matt J

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    T I am trying not to push away the fear that arises while at the same time not holding onto that fear.
    I feel that is a good way. Take it as it comes too, and ... while keeping one's eyes open, and looking both ways when crossing the street (no reason to take foolish chances) ... I also don't overexaggerate the realities. An airplane vanished in Malaysia, yet tens of thousands of planes land safely each day (I booked my ticket to America on a 777 that same day). Some dozen children were (so sadly) killed in school gun violence, yet millions of kids go to school each day without any incident. The news media these days spents countless hours on the former, never emphasize the latter (FLASH NEWS: NOTHING TERRIBLE HAPPENED TODAY!) This is a big thought for me, as I live 100 miles as the crow flies downwind from Fukushima. I looked at the realities of the situation ... the almost immeasurable increase in health risk ... and decided to keep living here with millions of other folks.

When a tiger comes, piss and shit your pants (apparently, a biological defense mechanism built into us ala Darwin) ... and RUN! When the tiger is gone, do you best to move past the tiger (as Daiho testifies, it is not so easy for many victims of trauma). Before the tiger comes, well, avoid walking around where the tigers hunt but, otherwise ... don't waste too much time thinking about imaginary tigers!

It is hard wired into our brains to sometimes be afraid. But, through Zen Practice, we can simultaneously manifest Buddha who is always always beyond fear. After all, when all is One ... what other is there to fear?

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-04-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I am trying not to push away the fear that arises while at the same time not holding onto that fear.

I would be interested to hear how others respond to this sort of thing.

Gassho,
    Matt J
    Yeah, I like the way you say this. It gives me a good way to perceive that fear. I can't imagine any of the things Daiho went through (I mean, I can imagine them, but not accurately or in any real way) or others with similar experiences. But I've definitely felt what you describe: a fear that sometimes arises when my wife is late and her cell phone is dead. A fear that sometimes just springs up, that we will all die at some point, what if it's today in the car, etc. For me, I notice the strong attachment I have to some things (or people and animals), and while that can be a source of worry or fear, it's also a beautiful thing and I feel, in the moment, a little awed and grateful, and wouldn't want it any other way - I think those two things at once and seeing them clearly is a kind of non-attachment. Attached yet grateful for the attachment. I'm not explaining this well, but there it is.

Gassho
    Shōmon

Jundo: It is hard wired into our brains to sometimes be afraid. But, through Zen Practice, we can simultaneously manifest Buddha who is always always beyond fear. After all, when all is One ... what other is there to fear?
    Alan: I think those two things at once and seeing them clearly is a kind of non-attachment.
    Thank you for that.

Gassho, Matt J

A right to the point blog posting by our friend Daiho this morning. It is short, so I take the liberty of posting in full with a link ...

-------------

The Zen of Nothing

There are a ton of books on Zen: Zen philosophy, Zen poetry, Zen art, Zen practice, Zen this, and Zen that. What I want to see is a Zen of Nothing. This would be the Zen of nothing important, a Zen without words, robes, bells, or whistles. A Zen without those in the know, those higher up, or those down below, those approved of and those not approved of: this would be a true Zen, a pure Zen, a Zen that cannot be taught or written about.

The Zen of Nothing is not even Zen. The Zen of Nothing is just the wind through the leaves, the sound of tap water in the sink or the feel of cool sheets on a summer’s eve.

What do we do to receive this Zen? Listen.

The Zen of Nothing is within you, around you, over you and under you. There is not a place or time where the Zen of Nothing does not exist. Stop thinking. Stop ruminating. Sit down. Be quiet. Rest easy in the world. The Zen of Nothing contains no evil, nor good, nor blessings, nor curses. It is not hot or cold, far or near.

Let your body feel it. Let your mind open in it. Let your heart dance to the sound of one hand.

The Zen of Nothing arrives when we stop singing the songs of the Zen of Something.

Be well.

http://sweepingzen.com/the-zen-of-nothing/
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Just what I needed.

Gassho

Mp
    Wonderful words from our friend Daiho. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Joyo
    Yes, wonderful words for sure. The Zen of Nothing

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hello,

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Wonderful, beautiful nothing. There's nowhere else to be.
    Gassho Heisoku
    Sat today
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

what a relief....zen of nothing

sat today, Gassho

Truly remarkable! Thank you so much for such a wonderful teaching!

Gassho

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...

Thanks for posting that--wonderful teaching.

Gassho,
    Meredith
    SatToday

Excellent,
    Thank you

Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12