Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - REDUX-NOT-TWO - Sunday (March 30th) Zazenkai with DAIHO HILBERT Roshi is HERE!!

- REDUX-NOT-TWO - Sunday (March 30th) Zazenkai with DAIHO HILBERT Roshi is HERE!!

Hello All,

This is our March 30th sit with Daiho REDUX. I have the folks registered for the HANGOUT the same as last week. If there has been change in someone's ability to attend, please let me know by PM.

NOTE ALSO DAYLIGHT SAVINGS CHANGE THAT DAY IN EUROPE. UK/EUROPE FOLKS PLEASE CONFIRM THE NEW TIMES!!

WELCOME to our Special Zazenkai guided by our guest, the gifted Soto Zen Teacher and social activist HARVEY DAIHO HILBERT Roshi, live from the Clear Mind Zen Temple in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

The live netcast will be held Sunday morning (March 30th) at 10am in New York, 7am in California, Sunday Afternoon 4pm in Paris and 3pm in London, 11pm in Japan. I HOPE TO OPEN THE HANGOUT ABOUT 10 to 15 minutes before. (Of course, those who cannot join the hangout can still watch live "one way" at the link below, and others can watch and sit with us later, when they can). I anticipate that the event will take between 1 hour and 90 minutes.

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Some more about Rev. Daiho and this Zazenkai can be found at the LINK HERE.

Also:
    http://clearmindzen.blogspot.jp/
    http://www.daihoroshi.org/

For this Zazenkai, Rev. Daiho will lead a chant of the Heart Sutra (using Matsuoka-roshi’s translation as here), followed by 20 min. of Zazen, followed by a Dharma talk on Engaged Practice: Bearing Witness . We will conclude, after a Q & A, by chanting the Four Great Vows.

The Great Heart of Wisdom Sutra

When Kannon the Bodhisattva of Compassion was practicing the deepest wisdom he clearly saw that the five  aggregates are empty thus transcending distress and suffering. Oh Shariputra form is no other than emptiness, emptiness no other than form, form is exactly emptiness, emptiness exactly form, feeling thought, impulse, and consciousness are likewise like this.
    O Shariputra, remember, Dharma is fundamentally emptiness, no birth, no death. Nothing is pure, nothing is defiled. Nothing can increase, nothing can decrease. Hence: in emptiness, no form, no feeling no thought, no impulse, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no seeing, no hearing, no smelling, no tasting, no touching, no thinking, no realm of sight, no realm of thought, no ignorance and no end of ignorance, no old age and death and no end to old age and death. No suffering, no craving, no extinction, no path, no wisdom, no attainment.
    Indeed, there is nothing to be attained; the Bodhisattvas live this deepest wisdom  with no hindrance in the mind, no hindrance therefore no fear. Far beyond delusive thinking they finally awaken to complete Nirvana . All Buddhas, Bodhisattvas of past, present, and future live this deepest wisdom and therefore reach the most supreme enlightenment. Therefore know that this wisdom, beyond wisdom, is the greatest Dharani, the brightest Dharani, the highest Dharani, the peerless Dharani. It completely ends all suffering. Know this as truth and do not doubt. So set forth this profound wisdom Dharani. Set forth this Dharani and declare: Gone, gone, ¤ gone to the other shore, ¤ attained the other shore, to beyond the other shore, having never left.
    Wisdom Heart Sutra. ¤¤¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
    Our circle for the Hangout holds more people than seats. We have a couple of folks on "waiting list" as discussed at the LINK HERE.

This Zazenkai also is in celebration of Daiho Roshi's NEW BOOK LIVING ZEN: The Diary of an American Zen Priest, which I am thoroughly appreciating and heartily recommend to all. Here is part of my review ...

This book is a compilation of his short diary entries (I believe most were once published on his blog) a few years ago, but he is a beautiful diarist. He short daily entries are on the mundane face of life ... a visit from his son, getting the kitchen counters redone, dealing with war memories and his painful war injuries ... yet each lesson packs a wallop. The man speaks with Wisdom and Compassion throughout, and pulls no punches. Thus, the book is somehow light and pleasant to read, yet powerful and profound at once. It is amazing how he does it. I must say that I am only half through the book as I write this (I am taking it in small bites), but have no hesitation to recommend this to everyone.

More here:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...rma-Living-Zen
    A Warm Welcome and Bows to Daiho Roshi!

Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 03-30-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Dear All,

I have created a special circle at Treeleaf Google+ called "Daiho Zazenkai Circle".

I have added the following persons to the circle, everyone who requested. You will be welcome to come on a first come, first serve basis. If you cannot get in, it will mean that the hangout is already full and you will need to participate "one way". I am sorry that our seats are limited. By my count, everyone but one person should be able to get in as there are 10 seats for 11 people.

Daiho Hilbert
    Jundo
    Shingen
    Kyonin
    Myoku
    Sekishi
    Myozan
    Yugen
    Nindo
    Dosho

On sitby standby ...

Ron, Taikyo, Daitetsu and Shinzan

Novice Priests, please wear your robes.

LET US ALL TRY NOT TO DROP IN AND OUT DURING ZAZEN SITTING TIME!

See you there!

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-29-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Mp
    Take two ... or maybe, just one! Will be there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sunday 4pm Paris time is ok with me, I'll be there. Thank you again Jundo and Daiho of course,
    Gassho
    Myoku

I'll be there

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Fine for me

Gassho

Taikyo

Thank You.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you. Looking forward to it!
    Gassho,
    Sekishi / Eric
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

See you one way

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Participating. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi all,
    I will be joining in for this - one way, but I will be there.

Gassho
    Shohei

Also participating

Gassho
    C

Hi Jundo,

I am on a hiking trip this Saturday/Sunday and don't know if I can make it back on time, i.e. I cannot promise 100%.
    So I think it would be fair to give my seat to someone who can attend for sure.

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Daitetsu View Post
    Hi Jundo,

I am on a hiking trip this Saturday/Sunday and don't know if I can make it back on time, i.e. I cannot promise 100%.
    So I think it would be fair to give my seat to someone who can attend for sure.

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    Hi Daitetsu,

I such case, I will move you to the waiting list.

The hike is the journey!

Gassho J

I'll be there too. Can I be on the wait list?

I will put you on the list Shinzan. After a few minutes, but before we start sitting Zazen, feel free to jump in if there is an open space. I cannot promise there will be one however. We will sit with everyone in our hearts though.

Gassho, Jundo

Nindo
    So for one way live viewing, can I just access from this post, or do I need to find a particular page on Google+?
    Thanks for clarification!

Yugen
    I will be there.
    Gassho
    Yugen

I will listen in "one way". Excited to hear him as I have planned a visit to his zendo in the near future. And have enjoyed his "teaching" on his webpage.
    Anne

I won't be able to attend as I'm traveling, but I hope the session will be recorded...

Gassho,

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    So for one way live viewing, can I just access from this post, or do I need to find a particular page on Google+?
    Thanks for clarification!
    Hi Nindo,

If all goes to plan, I will insert a youtube screen into the top post above about 10 or 15 minutes before we start. See you (in our hearts) then.

Gassho, J

Eishuu
    I will be there 'one way'. Looking forward to sitting with Treeleafers for the first time and hearing the talk. Thank you Daiho Hilbert and everyone in advance.

Hi,
    As I'm minding the kids, who are running around like crazy, I, too, will have to be here "one way".

Looking forward to it.
    Gassho
    Myozan

I have posted the invites, but do not see anyone yet. If folks don't join in a few minutes, I will invite our usual Saturday group.

Gassho, Jundo

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I have posted the invites, but do not see anyone yet. If folks don't join in a few minutes, I will invite our usual Saturday group.

Gassho, Jundo
    Thanks Jundo, but nothing yet.

Gassho
    Shingen

I can see the posted event but cannot join.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi

I will invite the Saturday group.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I can see the posted event but cannot join.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Yep, same here

Can see but no invite

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Nothing yet, still says we can only view.

I will restart with a new window.

Ready to rock

Gassho

blank screen? maybe it hasn't started yet?
    Anne

Nindo
    Thank you for this.

Thank you all who participated. Thank you Daiho for sharing your practice in such a personal way.

Gassho
    C

What a great talk by Daiho. This approach to engaged buddhism, how we meet the people in our lives, how we meet the habits of our mind, was very encouraging. Thank you, Daiho and Jundo. Thanks to all who were able to join in.
    Shinzan

Mp
    Thank you to Daiho and Jundo for making this wonderful talk possible. =) Was also wonderful to sit and experience this with all of you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

That was wonderful.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Gratitude and thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you Daiho for this teaching, and for your example of engaged Buddhism - sit down and shut up, then get up and do something!
    Thank you Jundo for setting this up. Thank you to all who join.
    Deep bows,
    Sekishi

I was watching & my camera was on but puzzled that I could not join! I then realized towards the end of the talk I had this window in the bottom righthand corner that I should have clicked to join. Apologies Jundo because there was a space I think. Thank you Daiho for such a beautiful talk & wonderful inspiration. And thank you Jundo for organizing the event
    Gassho
    Taikyo

Thank you Daiho and Jundo, and everyone sitting now and then...great teaching, wonderful practice...be well

Gassho

First chance I've had to join in Zazenkai for some time. Thank you all for sharing practice. Thank you, Daiho, for the wonderful and inspiring talk.

Gassho
    H
    Smile, breathe, and go slowly.

- REDUX-NOT-TWO - Sunday (March 30th) Zazenkai with DAIHO HILBERT Roshi is H...

Thank you so much. Wonderful. A lovely Zazenkai.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 03-31-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Yugen
    Marvelous. Absolutely inspiring. Thank you Daiho, and Jundo, and all who attended.

It is a special place where a teacher is open enough to expose their students to other teachers, ideas, and traditions (especially from outside their lineage). Nine bows to you Jundo. I have been places where teachers are anxious to maintain the "purity" of their tradition, like a variety of GMO corn..... Zen teaching is not a Monsanto seed variety....!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you,
    in deep gratitude,
    Gassho
    Myoku

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Marvelous. Absolutely inspiring. Thank you Daiho, and Jundo, and all who attended.

It is a special place where a teacher is open enough to expose their students to other teachers, ideas, and traditions (especially from outside their lineage). Nine bows to you Jundo. I have been places where teachers are anxious to maintain the "purity" of their tradition, like a variety of GMO corn..... Zen teaching is not a Monsanto seed variety....!

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Well said Yugen, I agree

Gassho
    C

Thank you, Rev. Daiho and everyone. I will be watching later. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you Jundo for setting this up,

Very Inspiring,

Willow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast