Thread: claude Anshin Thomas s interview

claude Anshin Thomas s interview

Hi guys,

these days, I am pretty quiet. Still around, always around you know. Just love silence really.

this is a man I love. He is the real deal.
    And what he says is so profound and so vast yet so simple.
    I wish we could all hear it.

take great care of yourself

gassho

Taigu

Have only watched the first half but have really enjoyed the discussions. Very apt for me right now. Many things to digest.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Mp
    Wonderful Taigu ... thank you, I will enjoy it during my morning coffee. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Gassho

Myoho
    Mu

Thank you for this authentic voice.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Hello,

Thank you for a connection.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Let me also recommend his book ... He is a friend of fellow veteran and Zen fellow, Daiho, who will be coming Sunday ...

http://www.amazon.com/At-Hells-Gate-...5757000&sr=1-1

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for this.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Nindo
    I met him and Kenshin years ago in Vienna. I was so green and clueless then ... still, he left quite the impression. Just the way he talked about Dana! Something like - here's the box, if you are going to put in just 5 bucks, you might as well forget about it because you are insulting me. Consider the value of this teaching! - boom!
    I also read his book, but found the German translation quite shoddy.
    Thanks for posting!

Nindo

Eishuu
    What a wonderful man. I might need to watch that again...so much to take in.

Thank you for posting that.

Gassho
    Lucy

Humble, Wise and poignant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feels like a good friend opening his heart at you, with wise and compassionate words...thank you for this teacher

Deep Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Hello Taigu,

thank you for the link. I have never met him, though I do like the clarity of his teachings and feel inspired by him.

@Nindo: That's a pretty cool and straight forward answer regarding Dana!

One small memory related to his Zaltho Sangha in Germany left a slightly strange impression on me however.

A few years ago it was discovered that a relatively well known pseudo- Zen master of a big and rather wealthy German Sangha (which consists mainly of Vietnamese immigrants) had been acting in a sexually inappropriate way for quite some time, while at the same time pretending to live according to full Bhikshu vows...let's not get me started with his lifestyle btw.

To cut the long story short, this apparently was no gossip, as five people stepped forward and filed affidavits.

http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.de/2...e-germany.html

If you can read German, here is the official statement published by the DBO, a small German umbrella organisation of ordained clergy following full Bhikshu and Bhikshuni vinaya rules. Nishijima's dharma heir Dagmar Doko Waskoenig is also a member of the DBO btw., and I personally trust her. They forced the Vietnamese pseudo Zen master to leave their order.

http://buddhistische-ordensgemeinsch...ng-02-2011.htm

What does all this have to do with Claude Anshin Thomas?

Well, not too much, but to be honest if Jundo had had a dharma talk scheduled to be held at Eido Shimano's or Sasaki's place at the time when it became really apparent what had been going on there, I'd be very critical of him not switching to another place and/or condemning what went on there in no uncertain terms....instead of indirectly supporting that establishment through treating it like a completely OK dharma center. From what his Zaltho Sangha said, the initial idea of Claude Anshin Thomas's seems to have been to enter into a healing dialogue with the Zen teacher in question, which is a wonderful and compassionate approach...however sometimes it might be better to call a spade a spade, especially after some people were hurt.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    Last edited by Hans; 03-26-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Indeed Mongen, indeed, and in the same time you seem to missing something.
    Can you see it?

Gassho

T.

Hello Taigu,

indeed I feel I know what you are pointing to. From my limited life experience, it seems that it is always good to remember that this actual life is never as clear cut as we want it to be, which is the only reason why I mentioned the other story.

Maybe it is my foolish approach to apply WabiSabi even in the case of truly good teachers. They need a little imperfection to be able to truly be real. Once they enter the arena of real, we can truly begin to live teachings, instead of maybe admiring them too much.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Very much so, Mongen.
    At the same time, the culprit is often the judgmental Taigu ( just as everybody else) and his countless reasons to cut through reality.

Anyway, thank you for the reminder.
    And why not listening to what this empty hand man has to offer?

Regardless of his poor judgement, trust me, it is really worth it .

Gassho

Taigu

Hello Taigu,

just to be clear, I do feel it is very much worthwhile to listen to Claude Anshin Thomas

We are all culprits.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Thank you for posting, Taigu. Will finish watching later. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thanks for this post. It was worth watching.
    Gassho
    C

Thank you Taigu
    Gassho
    Myoku

Thank you so much, Taigu - this interview is truly a gem!

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Taigu:
    Thanks very much for posting this stalk. It was because of Claude Anshin Thomas that I got interested in Zen Buddhism and, specially about the Soto tradition. Listening to him helps me to understand so much. Thanks again. Gassho.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post

Thanks Taigu.

I remember when he came to visit our community, Flor de Nopal Sangha, here in South Texas. Very good talk. Hoping one of these days he will be able to visit us again.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chicanobudista; 04-18-2014 at 05:28 AM.