Thread: Buddhism and Academia

Buddhism and Academia

I just registered for a Princeton course about Buddhism and Modern Psychology. It's a Massive Open Online Course on the Coursera platform and it just started: https://www.coursera.org/course/psychbuddhism

Seems interesting!

Gassho,

Roland

Mp
    Thanks Roland ... there is a few of us that are already registered for this course as well. It started yesterday and it is looking pretty good so far. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Yup....it amazes me the number and variety of participants...it is goin to be a good oportunity to learn and practice.

Gassho
    Sent from Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for your practice

I'm already there and I am enjoying it

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    Looks so interesting, wish I had the time but I am busy taking a human development course right now.

Gassho,
    Joyo

cool thanks for the info.
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

mohamed zen
    Wonderful !

Thank you Roland

أرسلت من GT-N7000 بإستخدام تاباتلك

Sounds awesome! Already working on a BS in psychology though, don't want to overwork this poor brain lol.

Gassho, John

Hello,

Does anyone else enjoy listening to Prof. Wright's lectures at 2X (double) speed? Completely legible and finished First Lesson in minutes.

Time to sit.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Will try next weej hahha

Gassho

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for your practice

Thanks for the head's up, signing up today.
    Anne

Hi,

I sat through the first hour of the course. So far, seems pretty good and consistent with what we teach around here on Dukkha and such.

However, my satisfaction with the course is bound to be temporary (a little joke, as the course touches on the temporary nature of satisfaction).

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Buddhism and Academia

Hi,
    I agree, Jundo.

And so far, the anticipation of doing the course has been better than the actual course itself.
    Gassho
    Myozan

PS: again, you need to see the lectures to get this.
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 03-23-2014 at 09:25 AM.

I've done several of these online courses. None of them were very good. They're geared toward absolute beginners, so if you know anything about the subject, they're generally not very interesting.

Let's hope this one is better!

Gassho,

Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

I just signed up for the course. Thank you for the heads-up.

Nindo
    I'm doing this course as well, but probably not the assignments.
    Myosha, I found 1.25 speed fast enough!

I have now listened to all the lectures.

There is not a moment of time which one can waste in this universe, every moment is just what it is ... yet where can I get my 6 hours back, what a waste of time.

I thought the later lectures very disorganized, the coverage of Buddhist psychology very narrow or off tone. There was very little discussion of important Buddhist tenets, very strange explanations of other tenets (such as "Emptiness") and many attempts by the teacher to draw connections to his pet "modules" theory of the mind that were only of mild interest. This is not an introduction to either Buddhist Teachings or traditional Buddhist views of psychology, nor a very persuasive presentation of the connection to modern psychology. Here and there however, there were some interesting points that make it not totally useless ... but generally not worth the hours to go through.

Such is my review.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Usurping spiritual terms for cock-eyed vanity projects is sad. Professor Wright has the tools. He's simply building the wrong 'module'.^^

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I thought the later lectures very disorganized, the coverage of Buddhist psychology very narrow or off tone. There was very little discussion of important Buddhist tenets, very strange explanations of other tenets (such as "Emptiness")
    Thank you Jundo, I thought it was just me ... I too found it a bit awkward. :\

Gassho
    Shingen

As I said above, the ones I've taken are generally very low level. I did a couple of online Shakespeare course, and not only were they somewhat narrow in approach, they were very dumbed down. This said, I know some people who do courses from MIT and other universities; those are much better.

The Coursera stuff, though, seems to be aimed at people who know nothing about the subject.

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

I have now listened to all the lectures.
    There is not a moment of time which one can waste in this universe, every moment is just what it is ... yet where can I get my 6 hours back, what a waste of time.
    Thank you for saving me from wasting 6 hours of my time, Jundo

I, on the other hand, found the course quite entertaining; the professor bright, humorous and a good lecturer.
    Elementary at times, but I certainly am not an expert at evolutionary psychology and found that portion of the lectures quite interesting. And I did learn quite a bit not just from Professor Wright but from the myriad guests he brought on for interviews.
    Sorry for those of you who feel like you wasted your time!
    I didn't.
    /\

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    I, on the other hand, found the course quite entertaining; the professor bright, humorous and a good lecturer.
    Elementary at times, but I certainly am not an expert at evolutionary psychology and found that portion of the lectures quite interesting. And I did learn quite a bit not just from Professor Wright but from the myriad guests he brought on for interviews.
    Sorry for those of you who feel like you wasted your time!
    I didn't.
    /\
    I'm going to agree with this. The only thing about this class--actually, Coursera classes in general--that seemed a waste of time was the peer-reviewed midterm essay (I decided not to do the final).