Thread: SPECIAL EVENT this SUNDAY: ZAZENKAI led by Guest Teacher DAIHO HILBERT ROSHI

SPECIAL EVENT this SUNDAY: ZAZENKAI led by Guest Teacher DAIHO HILBERT ROSHI

Dear All,

NOTE: Due to circumstances, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO SAME TIME, NEXT SUNDAY MARCH 30th!!! Remember Daylight Savings change in Europe that day. I will be confirming if anyone needs to drop out of attending that day.

Taigu and I are pleased to announce, and invite you all to join us for, a Special Zazenkai this Sunday 3/23 (netcast times below) to be led by the gifted Soto Zen Teacher and social activist HARVEY DAIHO HILBERT Roshi live from the Clear Mind Zen Temple in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

LET ME MENTION THAT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ABOUT 8 FOLKS WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOINING THE GOOGLE+ HANGOUT LIVE! Please post here, in this thread, if you can commit to that time.

The live netcast will be held Sunday morning 10am in New York, 7am in California, Sunday Afternoon 3pm in Paris and 2pm in London, 11pm in Japan. I HOPE TO OPEN THE HANGOUT ABOUT 10 to 15 minutes before. (Of course, those who cannot join the hangout can still watch live "one way" at the link I will post on that day, and others can watch and sit with us later, when they can). I anticipate that the even will take between 1 hour and 90 minutes, and will consist of the following:

- Rev. Daiho will lead a chant of the Heart Sutra (using Matsuoka-roshi’s translation), followed by 20 min. of Zazen, followed by a Dharma talk on Engaged Practice: Bearing Witness . We will conclude, after a Q & A, by chanting the Four Great Vows.

Now let me introduce Rev. Daiho. Early today, I posted a heartfelt recommendation of his latest, lovely book which I am currently reading.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...rma-Living-Zen

As I said, Rev. Daiho is a very powerful and unique Soto Zen Teacher, a wounded Vietnam war veteran and social activist.

Harvey Daiho Hilbert (born February 13, 1947) woke up to Zen after being shot in the head in combat in Vietnam in 1966. In spite of the resulting disability, Daiho went on to obtain a Masters and PH.D degree in Social Work and spent nearly thirty years offering contemplative practices to his clients. Daiho took up formal training in 1998 at Dharma Mountain Zendo in Cloudcroft, NM. He was ordained in 2000 and was given Dharma Transmission in 2005 by Ken Hogaku Shozen McGuire roshi.

In 2000 he was installed as abbot of Daibutsuji Zen Temple and re-established the Zen Center of Las Cruces. In 2005, he retired from his clinical practice and left Daibutsuji to establish the Order of Clear Mind Zen. The Order is based at Clear Mind Zen Temple in Las Cruces, New Mexico and currently has affiliates in northern California and west Texas. His practice includes street practice, daily blog postings of his teaching, as well as a fulltime monastic practice. His Temple offers daily Zazen, monthly Zazenkai, and quarterly Sesshin. In addition, it offers many educational group activities, as well as selected workshops specifically focused on recovery from war and violent trauma. Daiho is in a loving relationship with Kathryn Soku Shin Masaryk are working to establish a monastic residence together.
    Daiho is in the Lineage of another great (if not so often mentioned for some strange reason) Japanese Soto Priest very important to Soto Zen in America. Soyu Matsuoka Roshi (1912-1997). Daiho touches on some of the reasons he is not better known in this from Daiho's webpage. In a nutshell, although Matsuoka Roshi was sent here originally by Soto-shu, he was a reformer and critic who went out of the mainstream and somewhat turned his back on "back home" ... and the mainstream thus ignores him too. However, being "outside the mainstream" is often a good place to be (our Nishijima Roshi is also such a type) ...

Rev. Dr. Soyu Matsuoka-roshi (1912-1997) was a priest in a family of priests going back six centuries. He came to the United States in 1939 as an emissary of Sojiji Training Monastery first to Los Angeles, then to San Francisco. Matsuoka-roshi soon left San Francisco to go to New York where he worked with D T Suzuki at Columbia University. He then went to Chicago and established the Zen Buddhist Temple of Chicago in 1949.

Matsuoka taught everywhere he could: high schools, karate dojos, living rooms. He was relentless in his effort to bring the living Dharma to the United States. He wrote letters to newspapers, was a strong supporter of non-violence and de-segregation, and wrote letters in support of Rev. Martin Luther King’s civil disobedience.

Matsuoka-roshi taught Zazen. He taught basic forms. He chanted only the most essential sutras. He streamlined the training and progression of students so that they would have an opportunity to practice in roles and take on responsibilities they would not have been entitled to in an institutionalized context. His was a homegrown Zen, a practical Zen. He used Japanese terms sparingly and tried to make his Zen accessible to Americans.

Those who actually take the time to make a study of Matsuoka-roshi’s written record in two collections of his writings (“The Kyosaku” and “Moku-rai”) will soon discover the truth about this pioneer. He was a genuine Master and a fine teacher who held his students in higher esteem than they, themselves apparently did.

http://www.daihoroshi.org/rev-dr-soyu-matsuoka-roshi/
    Here is Daiho's blog, and I hope you will also check out some of his beautiful and poignant commentary there ...

Daiho's Engaged Zen Blog
    http://clearmindzen.blogspot.jp/

I hope you can sit with us!

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 03-20-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Wonderful Jundo, thank you for this wonderful opportunity, I will be there for sure! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Let me mention that we will also have our regular Friday Night/Saturday Zazenkai as well, as usual.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Let me mention that we will also have our regular Friday Night/Saturday Zazenkai as well, as usual.

Gassho, J
    I will be there as well Jundo. =) Always enjoy the the opportunities to sit together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I will not be there live, but I will be joining soon after. Thanks to Rev. Daiho for coming to visit.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Correction: I'm not going to be able to make it live after all.

Gassho,

Risho
    Last edited by Risho; 03-17-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Unfortunately, I have to be at work at 9:30 on Sunday mornings. Otherwise, I would love to join.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for this wonderful effort and opportunity. If there's room for me, please count me in for Sunday morning.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Disappointed I cannot sit live for this. I have family obligations at this time. With sit with recorded.
    Gassho
    Clark

Thank you for making this happen, Jundo and Daido,
    Please count me in, if there is a cushion left.
    Gassho
    Myoku

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Welcome Rev. Daiho!

I will attend live if there is room. Thank you for this opportunity.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I'm in if there's room.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Nindo
    Marking my calendar.

Hi. I'll try and make it, if the zendo is not full!
    Gassho
    Myozan

Hi!

Same here, if I can make it and there is a cushion left, I will try to be there.

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Joyo
    I would love to be there live, but my life is very busy right now so I cannot 100% commit.

Gassho,
    Joyo

I will not be sitting live, but I'll be joining soon after. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Yugen
    If there is a Zafu a available, I would love to join.

Gassho
    Yugen

I'll attend one-way as I'm an absolute beginner, looking forward to it!

I can't commit to anything at this point in life, but I will follow along if I can.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Dear All,

I have created a special circle at Treeleaf Google+ called "Daiho Zazenkai Circle".

I have added the following persons to the circle, everyone who requested. You will be welcome to come on a first come, first serve basis. If you cannot get in, it will mean that the hangout is already full and you will need to participate "one way". I am sorry that our seats are limited. By my count, everyone but one person should be able to get in as there are 10 seats for 11 people.

Daiho Hilbert
    Jundo
    Shingen
    Kyonin
    Myoku
    Sekishi
    Myozan
    Daitetsu
    Yugen
    Nindo
    Dosho

On sitby standby ...

Ron and Taikyo

Novice Priests, please wear your robes.

LET US ALL TRY NOT TO DROP IN AND OUT DURING ZAZEN SITTING TIME!

See you there!

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-22-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Hello,

I would be happy to act as a "runner-up" in the case that more than one can not show-up. Join the Hangout 5 minutes after it has started or something along those lines?

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi Ron,

I will add you as a seat filler , jump in at a good point if you see an empty seat.

Gassho, J

Hi Ron,

I will add you as a seat filler , jump in at a good point if you see an empty seat.

Gassho, J
    Thanks!

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello,

Participating. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Will be there live, one way no problem.... understanding that the chant of the Heart Sutra will be this one?

http://www.clearmindzen.org/great-he...-wisdom-sutra/

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Koshin View Post
    Will be there live, one way no problem.... understanding that the chant of the Heart Sutra will be this one?

http://www.clearmindzen.org/great-he...-wisdom-sutra/

Gassho
    I will ask Daiho, but perhaps we can just listen to the words flow from him this time ...

Gassho, J

Hi Jundo,

Maybe you could the same for me?
    Thanks,
    Gassho
    Taikyo

Hi Ron,

Gassho, J

Hi Taikyo,

I added you to the filler as well. After a few minutes, if it appears there is an empty seat ... jump in.

Of course, LET US ALL TRY NOT TO DROP IN AND OUT DURING ZAZEN SITTING TIME!

Gassho, Jundo

I have posted the thread for Sunday's Zazenkai here ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-is-HERE%21%21

Gassho, J

Will have to sit with the recorded session

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

Welcome, Daiho!

I'll be sitting the recorded session. Good sitting, everyone.

Gassho, Entai

Marking my calendar for the 30th. If spaces taken, I'll just sit/watch.
    Shinzan