Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (Jul-Aug) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (Aug 9-14)

ANNOUNCEMENT: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (Jul-Aug) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (Aug 9-14)

UPDATE: IN CONSIDERATION OF THE ECOLOGY AND MANY FACTORS, THE ORIGINAL CAR TRIP PLAN BECAME A LARGELY RAIL TRIP ... A DHARMA WHISTLE STOP & SIT!

Dear All,

July and August of this year (2014) will be very eventful for our community! Of course, August 9th through 14th, Taigu will be guiding a SESSHIN in WASHINGTON D.C.. That Retreat will be attended by many in our Sangha, and is a nearly week long residential retreat that is not to be missed if at all possible. DETAILS HERE. Please do all you can to attend this special event and opportunity.

And for those of our members in primarily the Eastern United States, if you cannot come to the Washington Retreat due to economic, health, work or family need, we will do our best to bring a little Retreat to you! I am pleased to announce our first "DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA 2014". From mid-July to late August, Jundo (and his 11 year old son) will be following the Amtrak far and wide from Maine to New York to Washington D.C. to the Deep South then Chicago and points between ... getting to know and bringing a little Retreat to our members unable to be in Washington. (Here are the general Amtrak route maps to give an idea of where we might head. Maybe rent a car here and there, or ask a ride, for places in between.)

(sorry that it unlikely that I will get too much west of the Mississippi River ... maybe a bit ... this time, but I will do my best to hold a similar "Dharma Tracks Across Europe" in 2015 and another "Dharma Tracks" for the Western U.S. and parts of Canada in 2016)

This time, the voyage (though the Buddha Road is truly beginningless and endless!) will begin in Maine on July 16th, 2014 and end in Chicago on August 26th, with a visit to the Sesshin with Taigu in Washington D.C. on the day of August 14th. Other than that, the schedule and itinerary are pretty wide open!

Anyone in driving distance of the Amtrak stations able and willing to room and board my son and I for a day or maybe two? No donations are asked, although my son and I would welcome if you could provide a simple bed and plate of food for us if we come, if not a hardship. I would like to visit with as many of our community members as possible. We would also like to hold small Zazenkai (just like the ones we netcast here at Treeleaf each week) with all the people we meet ... right in your living room! (or any place in your town you set up for us. I would be happy to help lead a Zazenkai if you wish to help arrange a larger public event in your area or with a local Zen group). WE WILL TRY TO NETCAST AS MANY OF THESE SITTINGS AS POSSIBLE. Then, after a day or so being with you ... my son and I will get back on the road!

The Buddha walked barefoot hundreds of miles across northern India. In the old days, Zen folks wandered from temple to temple looking pretty much like this ...

My boy and I will pretty much look like a t-shirt clad father and son with a couple of backpacks, National Lampoon's Zen Vacation.

(One other reason I am making this trip with my son is that Leon does not know America very much, so this is a chance to show him some of that part of his culture at the same time. I am hoping to show him some American history, life and nature along the way ... especially as he is going to have to be stuck tagging along with his dad for 6 weeks! I am hoping that, on the way to visit our Treeleaf members, I can show him some of that. )

To repeat: We wish to visit folks who cannot possibly attend the Sesshin in Washington in mid-August due to economic, health or family restrictions (or maybe people who will be attending the Washington Sesshin but wish to host an extra visit-&-sit by me before or after Washington). IF YOU THINK YOU CAN LIKELY COMMIT TO HOSTING the "JUNDO & SON TRAVELLING ZEN CIRCUS" for a day or two, please write Jundo privately (at jundotreeleaf@gmail.com) or post in this thread your willingness, exact location and ANY & ALL POSSIBLE DATES BETWEEN MID JULY TO LATE AUGUST when you would be available. PLEASE POST A WHOLE BUNCH OR RANGE OF POSSIBLE DATES! I will take all the information, and then play CONNECT THE DOTS ON THE MAP to try to schedule and visit as many folks as I can.

This is also another great experiment for this "Sangha beyond here or there" of people who due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, cannot attend a Sitting easily, as we see if the Sangha & Sittings can come to them!

My son and I would very much like to meet so many of you, share some time and sit Zazen together! PLEASE WRITE AND LET US KNOW!

"WHISTLE STOP & SIT" Gassho, Jundo

PS - If you wonder how I can get away from work for such a period, well, my work as a translator of Japanese is pretty portable. And my patient wife and her mom will be tending to our 3-year old back home.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-29-2014 at 04:44 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll make this brief here. Yes! In Georgia, and my 2 sons will be 10 and 11 at this time. Will send you private message.

Gassho
    C

May have a plastic one of these for the dashboard ...

If you make it to Kansas City, you and your son are most welcomed at our house! There is a Buddhist community here and I know a temple that may be open to hosting a sitting. Of course my house is open for a sitting as well. Mid July to mid August would work. Late August may be tied up but I can't say for sure right now.

"Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
    Long as I have my plastic Buddha
    Riding on the dashboard of my car
    Through all trials and tribulations,
    We will travel every nation,
    With my plastic Buddha I'll go far."

Sorry...I could not resist
    Well, if you decide to drive a little further (Los Angeles, California) I would be more than happy to host you.

A.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    If you make it to Kansas City, you and your son are most welcomed at our house! There is a Buddhist community here and I know a temple that may be open to hosting a sitting. Of course my house is open for a sitting as well. Mid July to mid August would work. Late August may be tied up but I can't say for sure right now.
    Thank you Troy. I will be in touch when we see what is. Like all borders, "East of the Mississippe" is rather a state of mind ... so maybe we can stretch the meaning a bit.

However, LA ... can't get there this time.

Gassho, J

How exciting and wonderful for our Sangha!! I would love to host you, however, I may not be moved into our new house in PA by early July . We will know more after our house-hunting trip in April. I would love to meet as many of you in person as possible. We shall see...

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

That is really cool news, and what a bonding experience! I've pm'd you to check if you'll be around my neck of the woods, or maybe Georgia. I'm in Tampa, so it's only a few hours from me.

Gassho,

Risho

Hello Jundo,

I am sure it will be a wonderful experience for you and your son!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Mp
    Yes, this is wonderful news ... road trips are always fun. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I really hope you can visit Florida. Or Georgia! That'd be very cool! Let me know how I can help and I'll try and make it work.

Gassho
    Javier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joyo
    This is wonderful, Jundo. May you and your son have a safe journey.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Just a couple of updates ...

First, I would like to thank the several people who have already offered to host us for a day or two so we can sit together. JUST A REMINDER THAT WE NEED MORE! My son and I are happy to sleep on any couch or floor, and sit Zazen with you in the living room (or someplace in your town if you wish to organize something bigger and sit with others). If fact, we could use some folks willing to organize some small Zazenkai in their community, if you think people would come. If it is an economic or other hardship for some folks, by son and I are happy to find a hotel ourselves and visit with you anyway. Just ask! The most important part is that we get to visit and sit with as many of our community members as possible.

The other news is that, in consideration of the ecology and other factors (including the tight budget), THIS HAS BECOME A LARGELY RAIL TRIP ... DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA 2014?? Here are some Amtrak route maps I have been looking at (they offer a multi-week rail pass), and we can do this! Maybe rent a car here and there, or ask a ride, for places in between.

Thank you too to the several folks in Canada and the western US who offered to host us. Zen folks don't believe in "big and small", but North America is TOO BIG! I don't think it will be possible this time to get too far west of the Mississippi (maybe just a little) and too much into Canada (maybe just a little). However, I am looking forward to a western US/Canada leg in a year or two ... and hope the rain check is still good then!

Thank you so much for the offer.

ANYWAY: NEED MORE FOLKS WILLING TO HOST SOME WANDERING ZEN GUYS THIS TRIP! Please write to jundotreeleaf@gmail.com

Gassho, Jundo.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-29-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Let me check with my wife and see when we'll be in town this summer (she's the scheduler and practical one).

Gassho
    Shōmon

Jundo,

It goes without saying that you and Leon would be welcome here any time, but I shall say it anyway. I was thinking you might not make it out this way, not because we don't have things for Leon to see, but because the coastline offers more than enough jewels for the trip. But if you will be traveling by train for any portion of the retreat, I am right along one of the Amtrak lines you indicated above (goes right through town on its way into the Rochester station), perhaps on your way out to Chicago.

Anyway, you know where to find me to iron out any details, but please consider my door open to you and the family absolutely any time.

Gassho,
    Dosho

If you want to stop in Springfield, Illinois (we have an Amtrak station!) we can put you guys up for a night or whatever. Our schedule is open.

Or, when you get to Chicago, I'd like to meet up with you.

Gassho

Jen

I know you aren't headed this far West, but had you, know that you and your family will always have a place to rest in my home. That pretty much stands for anyone here.

Visit California..before it's a desert.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Quote Originally Posted by Seimyo View Post
    I know you aren't headed this far West, but had you, know that you and your family will always have a place to rest in my home. That pretty much stands for anyone here.

Visit California..before it's a desert.

Gassho
    Seimyo
    Thank you everyone.

Jen, well, Springfield. That is where Abe Lincoln is from. Didn't he do a famous whistle stop on the train? Maybe we should call this "Whistle Stop Sesshin"!

Yes, I will try to arrange that we can meet there or Chicago. Dosho, I will be seeing you probably in Rochester (and at Taigu's Sesshin in D.C., of course).

And to everyone ... thank you for helping with this great experiment.

Hi Jundo,

We should definitely be able to host in August. I know that the dates you mentioned included Mid-July (to late August, I think); Mid-July will most likely be a time when my wife and I are out of town (it's both of our birthdays and we usually visit family then). August, on the other hand, we will be here. Here is Spartanburg, SC.

I'll send you a PM shortly.

Gassho,
    Alan
    Shōmon

Thats great Jundo! If perhaps you're in the Netherlands next year i can arrange a sleeping place
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you everyone.

Jen, well, Springfield. That is where Abe Lincoln is from. Didn't he do a famous whistle stop on the train? Maybe we should call this "Whistle Stop Sesshin"!
    Good Lord, yes. It's all Lincoln, all the time. Actually I can hook you up with a VIP/behind-the-scenes tour of one of the most prominent Lincoln sites, if you're interested (my husband is assistant curator.)

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I'll make this brief here. Yes! In Georgia, and my 2 sons will be 10 and 11 at this time. Will send you private message.

Gassho
    C
    Clark, how far are you from Atlanta? I would be willing to drive a couple hours to hang out with you and Jundo and do some hard core shikantaza.

Also if the rail trip passes through Atlanta Jundo, his son, and you are all welcome to visit and/or crash at my tiny apartment and eat college student crock pot food until you are stuffed. It would be a tight fit, but I'm sure we could manage

<edit= I plan on at least making a couple days of the sesshin right now, so my offer is mainly to offer a way point if needed and to join in if you are passing close by>
    Last edited by Nengyo; 03-28-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Hi Nengyo, see private message.

Gassho
    C

I'd love to visit when/if you pass within a few states of Mississippi.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I'd love to visit when/if you pass within a few states of Mississippi.
    Excellent, Syd. I am still playing "connect the dots", but will be in touch on some dates and places.

Gassho, Jundo

Wrote to Doshin and Boca. I volunteer to pick you up but I'm sure all yer pals here would be eager to get you two.
    I do look forward to seeing you should you come.
    Ed Seido B.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

I can't leave my family and travel down to Washington, but I see that the northeast Amtrak line has a stop in Toronto, just an hour north of the border. . I wonder how many Treeleafers are in Southern Ontario ? Our own house is crowded with three generations but I would be happy find and cover good accommodation, and-or co-ordinate with other Ontario Treeleaf folks.
    It would be wonderful to meet you and connect in person.

Gassho Daizan
    Last edited by RichardH; 04-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.