Thread: After the Comma, Before the Word

After the Comma, Before the Word

To never have lost anything, is that to never have found something?

To never have found anything, is that never to have searched for something?

To never have searched for anything, is that to never have wanted something?

To never have wanted anything, is that to never have desired something?

To never have desired anything, is that to have never lost something?

I say that maybe the answer lies in the middle, after the commas in life, but before everything else?

After the , before the word.

, , , , ,

There is no comma, which is why there is a comma.

Now lets forget all this, lets go sit.

,Zazen,

Gassho
    Bobby
    Just Sit

Grammatically speaking, the comma is often indicative of a natural pause. That pause is vast emptiness. No answers. Just sit.

Gassho,
    Juki
    Last edited by Juki; 02-20-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Actually, the comma first came into existence as a mark of where to breathe when reading a text aloud. So each comma is a breath.

Gassho,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Actually, the comma first came into existence as a mark of where to breathe when reading a text aloud. So each comma is a breath.

Gassho,

Kirk
    True. And, if I recall my history correctly, didn't it start out so that there was a system where the number and placement of marks told you how much breath you would need to read the next passage?

emptiness and breath. That is zazen.

gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Reading and reading music wasn't so different then, I guess.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hey Bobby,

Nice moment.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Juki View Post
    Grammatically speaking, the comma is often indicative of a natural pause. That pause is vast emptiness. No answers. Just sit.

Gassho,
    Juki

Just Sit

Very nice, Bobby!

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

Hmmm. I might put things another way ...

To never have lost anything, can one find that which is never lost nor ever found?

To never have found anything, beyond "losing" or "finding" do you know a finding without searchng?

To never have searched for anything, can one discover the freedom beyond wanting what is right in hand?

To never have wanted anything, do you know how to want and desire without want or desire?

To never have desired anything, do you know how to find that which can never be lost nor ever found?

The answer lies in the middle and boundless to the eight directions, beyond and right through words and punctuation, thoroughly before and after, up and down ...

... no subject or predicate or dependent clause.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-21-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

It´s the kind of speech no eye can see.
    Kabir says: Listen to the word spoken in every body.
    Gassho
    Taikyo

Sweet pairing of poems.

Shinzan

Quote Originally Posted by Juki View Post
    True. And, if I recall my history correctly, didn't it start out so that there was a system where the number and placement of marks told you how much breath you would need to read the next passage?

emptiness and breath. That is zazen.

gassho,
    Juki
    Hello,

Speaking of chanting. . .. . .commas. . .breathing. Anyone know where we breath when chanting the Heart Sutra?

It's never the same, twice. . .or maybe. . .since it's the first time. . .every time. . . .

Yours in ignorance,

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Myosha,

We don t know when to breathe in chanting the Heart Sutra. We breathe out until we breathe in. Part of the experience of chanting is not to have it all mapped out, a bit like sitting: you never know.

Gassho

T.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hmmm. I might put things another way ...

To never have lost anything, can one find that which is never lost nor ever found?

To never have found anything, beyond "losing" or "finding" do you know a finding without searchng?

To never have searched for anything, can one discover the freedom beyond wanting what is right in hand?

To never have wanted anything, do you know how to want and desire without want or desire?

To never have desired anything, do you know how to find that which can never be lost nor ever found?

The answer lies in the middle and boundless to the eight directions, beyond and right through words and punctuation, thoroughly before and after, up and down ...

... no subject or predicate or dependent clause.

Gassho, J
    Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Bobby
    Just Sit