Thread: Age criteria for practising zazen.

Question Age criteria for practising zazen.

Hello All,
    I am 22 years old and have been 'practising zazen' for the past 6 months. I sometimes think if am too young to be getting involved in Zen.
    Please guide me on this.

Hi Sridevi,

No, 22 is not too young at all. You are an adult. Anyway, from a Buddhist perspective, age is also something of just a state of mind.

Sridevi, might I trouble you to look at the welcome email I sent you, and to post some greetings here ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-%28January%29

Welcome again.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Hello Sridevi ... I am 45 and sometimes 12, others times 102! All different yet all the same. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hey Sridevi,

Nah, it matters not. Especially since time is mostly conceptual lol. As Shingen wisely said, mental age can change from moment to moment. We can even be ageless in a way. Anyway, welcome to the Sangha!

Gassho, Foolish John

Joyo
    I think you are very fortunate to have found such a wonderful path at a young age. I wish you all the best, and welcome to the sangha

Gassho,
    Joyo

I wish I had started at 22 instead of 44. Glad you are here at treeleaf. 😄

Gassho, Jishin

I started in my mid-20s or so...then I ran around in circles chasing Zen for quite a few years before I actually sat down.

Welcome and good sitting!

Gassho, Entai

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Hi.

Nope. Not young at all. I begun meditating at 15 and begun practicing zazen when I was about 25.

So no. Never too young. Never too old.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I was also 22 when I joined Treeleaf, so how could I say, "too young"?
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank You!! Now am kinda convinced that age doesn't matter.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    I wish I had started at 22 instead of 44. Glad you are here at treeleaf. 

Gassho, Jishin
    Or even 60

Gassho

Willow

22... You're a lucky man! :-)

Gassho.

Bya

... sorry for the double post. I can't figure posting from my tab still, ugh.
    Last edited by Tiwala; 02-20-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Gassho
    Ben

I'm even younger than you are. I'm very grateful for all the older people here, which is probably 90% at least. Makes me remember I still have so much more to learn in life.

And actually, before joining any sangha, I was afraid Zen might just be another youth fad. I was completely mistaken. Even the brick and mortar Zen centre I go to is full of old, wise (in a good zennie sense), down to earth people. Right now, it feels kind of sad that I'm the only person I know around my age that takes all this very seriously, or at least tries to.

Gassho, Ben

Gassho, Ben
    Last edited by Tiwala; 02-20-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Gassho
    Ben

Hi Sridevi, I don't think age really matters as long as you sit sincerely. I started at 13 and so far haven't found any disadvantages

Gassho

Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Age criteria for practising zazen.

I find it fascinating and wonderful that we have so many people that have been practicing for such a long time. I have only been practicing a couple years maybe three I can't remember for sure. I am humbled, deep bows.

I think the appropriate age to start Zazen is a little different for everyone. To me it is basically when one is able to understand the concept enough to get started. At the temple close to me, they have a children's service for very young children that probably could not understand an abstract concept like Zazen. However, the teacher will sound a bell and they will listen quietly until the sound dissipates. A meditation of sorts for kids.
    Last edited by Troy; 03-03-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Keep practising. The skills and habits you develop now will deepen as you get older and become part of your life. Then you will see the value of having started at a young age.

My son sometimes sits with me. I neither encourage, nor discourage this. If he asks to sit, I give him a pillow. He is 9. My daughter who is 21, also started sitting. I never said one word to her about my practice. She just started doing it.
    Gassho
    C