Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a short message from the lion's den

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

a short message from the lion's den

Hi all,

As it transpired, some of you feel concerned and sometimes surprised by my angry tone and grumpy nature. It is true that I sometimes go over the top, choosing to speak very little, writing a few posts and getting my point accross too bluntly. If you know me, and quite a few people here have practiced on line and in the flesh with the beast, then you know that I am a very kind and peaceful person, full of passion at times, and they will tell you that there is no reason to fear my presence. quite the opposite, actually.

I will make a special effort to improve my written communication skills and you can, without a shadow of a doubt, trust this coming retreat in Washington to be relaxed, warm and not threatening at all.

Please, feel free to write to me privately if you have any question.

gassho

Taigu

Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Gassho,
    Daijo

Thank you, Taigu.

Gassho,
    Genshin (Matt)

I appreciate you, Taigu.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Yugen
    Originally Posted by Taigu

France ( the land of Rabelais, and bad literature).

... and of great philosophers like Voltaire, Montaigne, Sartre, good food, a nice sounding language and probably the most beautiful women in the world.

Don't be too hard on yourself...

Gassho,

Daitetsu

I think this is quite possibly my favorite post of all time at Treeleaf - thank you Taigu and Daitetsu!

In thinking of Taigu's 'voice' I think a bit of a cross of Camus in "Myth of Sisyphus" and Saint Exupery in "Wind, Sand and Stars".... I am reminded specifically of St. Ex's description of his friend Mermoz, a lovable grouch and scoundrel...

Deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Mp
    I too appreciate and respect you Taigu for ALL you do. Just like the loving heart of the scornful mother to her child, your heart too is full of love! =)

Deep bows
    Shingen

Thank you, Taigu.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Taigu,

I, personally, rather like the grumpiness and bluntness you sometimes bring, if only because I know I can stand to be knocked out of my own nonsense from time to time. It reminds me of an old professor I had who had a very positive impact on my life.

But, I recognize that perhaps that style isn't for anyone. Thank you for everything you do.

Gassho,
    Zac
    However much we become enlightened, it is not very much.
    Rupan shunyata shunyataiva rupan

Well....I always find passion for the Dharma in your teachings...in a lovely poem, a peaceful words, or a whack in our deluded heads, that we surely need from time to time....so, for all that, thank you teacher

Deep Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Yugen
    C'est la vie sportive....!

Deep bows
    Yugen

We all need some tough love from time to time. Your passion lets all know how much you care...about us, about this practice. Thank you for all your words; grumpy, kind, passionate - I love them all.

Kelly/Jinmei

Taigu,

No worries; I am used to it. And I greatly appreciate everything you do for us.

Deep bows Sensei.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Taigu,

No worries; I am used to it. And I greatly appreciate everything you do for us.

Deep bows Sensei.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Exactly!

Yugen
    As Edith Piaf would say, "je ne regrette rien..."

Deep bows
    Yugen

Does this mean that you will answer all/most of my stupid and repetitive questions? I guess not

Gassho,
    Sam

Kyotai
    Gassho

Shawn

You are our dearest Komainu - mouth open and mouth closed.
    Gassho
    Taikyo

I am too simple a person to grasp anything but blunt.
    Gassho, Jakudo
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

:-)

Gassho,

Shugen

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

I'm always intimidated by those that are so sure of what they're saying because I'm always afraid of sharing my opinion. I still have a lot to learn and I'm glad I have you and Jundo as my teachers.

Gassho

Javier

I get passionate about stuff too. At work, for instance, I'm sometimes yell... not to bully or anything, but because the situation requires it and I know that my approach makes sense.

I don't know, I appreciate some fire in the belly. It's nice to have some damned passion sometimes rather than walking around head down like a zombie.

Anyway, not that you need my validation. haahahah But I like it

Gassho,

Risho

Nindo
    I like that mischievous smile that often follows the bluntness in the videos
    Of course, that would be hard to put into a post ...
    I am grateful for your teachings, Taigu.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    I like that mischievous smile that often follows the bluntness in the videos
    Of course, that would be hard to put into a post ...
    I am grateful for your teachings, Taigu.
    Agreed.
    Thanks for all you do!
    Gassho, Entai

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

But you are always nice Taigu! ; )
    Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

I never watched or listened to a Taigu I don't like; and they all live in the roly poly skin bag we know in Kyoto.
    Taigu, thanks and gassho, Shokai

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Joyo
    Thank you, Taigu

Gassho,
    Joyo

Taigu, much to do over nothing. You have proven over and over to all that will listen the type of person that you are. Much to be learned from the roaring lion. Much to be learned.

Gassho,
    Heihsu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Hmmmmm... I like your post just how they are. They are a good balance to Jundo's style and certainly make the forum a better place.

_/\_
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Thank you Taigu. Fire is sometimes necessary to illuminate what cowers in the shadows.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

gassho, deep bow

Taigu Sensei, to me, your expansive heart and deep wisdom is very apparent.

I think we 21rst century types would consider a lot of very traditional teaching methods to be pretty harsh, much more so than anything seen at Treeleaf. The literature abounds with examples.

Still, here we all are, now.

I have been blown into "outer orbits" a couple times by your responses, only to be drawn back by your other postings. I am very grateful for your teachings. I do not criticize your person. I send my thanks into your den.

gassho, deep bow

Robert.
    Last edited by Oheso; 02-11-2014 at 01:30 AM.

The harshest thing Taigu ever said to me was "Take great care."

It's a matter of interpretation. 😊

Gassho, Jishin

Sometimes we all need a (figurative) smack in the head to understand!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Actually,

I very much like your kyosaku mouth. Old Hakuin's alive and well in the Soto-shu this life time around.
    Gassho
    Ben

We all love the beast, even when he's beating us up.

Gassho
    Shōmon

Taigu,
    In the countless times I have failed, f*#*#& up and been blind, I have been met with and received nothing but understanding, compassion (no, not always sweetness- but hey it was not what I needed, but never ever bitterness!), the worst beatings came/come from myself - getting back what I was giving out, I thank you!

Gassho
    Shohei

Taigu, always be yourself, we would not be here if we did not love you. I have a big old cat who is grumpy from time to time, but I would not give him up for anything. Growl on Sensei!

Jim

If every rock were smooth, it would make for a boring stream.

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

thank you for your support, but I ll work hard on this tendency here anyway. Funny I just had a bit of a problem with a nice priest due to my rudeness and bad humor. That's what I am really, and don't you dare saying the opposite, a plain stupid European lad filled with the vulgarity of his native culture, France ( the land of Rabelais, and bad literature).

one can say things differently. Maybe some here might pick up my stick?

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    France ( the land of Rabelais, and bad literature).
    ... and of great philosophers like Voltaire, Montaigne, Sartre, good food, a nice sounding language and probably the most beautiful women in the world.

Don't be too hard on yourself...

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

thank you for your support, but I ll work hard on this tendency here anyway. Funny I just had a bit of a problem with a nice priest due to my rudeness and bad humor. That's what I am really, and don't you dare saying the opposite, a plain stupid European lad filled with the vulgarity of his native culture, France ( the land of Rabelais, and bad literature).

one can say things differently. Maybe some here might pick up my stick?

gassho

Taigu
    Dear Taigu,

I wanted to say that I respect you for writing this and the reason my first response to this thread was a deep bow - no words - is because I did not want to detract from what you had written.

I did not want to salve what you had written because although you have always been kind to me there have been times when I've inwardly reacted to what felt like a harsh response from you to others.

We are all here to learn - in many ways. This includes teachers and you and Jundo have always promoted this view.

I don't have much truck with sticks - real or symbolic - but if we must use this metaphor, to pick up a teacher's stick requires courage. So it is actually quite scary for me to write this.

You are loved and respected here - but part of my respect for you is that I won't 'dare going saying the opposite' to what you have expressed - as you have requested

Gassho

Willow
    Last edited by Jinyo; 02-12-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Hey Taigu,

The guidance is appreciated. Since this ego tends to revel in complexity and profundity, a blunt admonishment or one word/line lesson is very beneficial. On the first post I ever wrote here you responded, "Throw it all away!" That one line did more for practice than an entire novel cloaked in depth ever could. I guess in the end it's like what a Buddhist friend once said, "Know your audience." Everyone is different, in that way I'd reckon we're all the same .

Gassho, John

Maybe some here might pick up my stick?

Taigu
    Sensei, what does this mean? please forgive my dull head. respectfully

gassho

Robert

I'll pick up that stick and after hitting you over the head with it seven times, offer it back in prostration!

HAAAAAAAI!

No matter what Titan is passing this time, there is one thing Titans can never do: stand still and stay whit us. Only we as real humans can do that! No matter how large, formidable and frightening Titans may seem at times, they all pass. Lion in the lions den, EMPTY YOUR BOWL! Mu Shin.

With that same mischievous smile,

Gassho

MyoHo
    Mu

Make that 9 times, 3 times 3 times: yes!

M.
    Mu

Hi,
    Sometimes the hard is soft and the soft is hard.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Let me remind all our members of the following. It is posted in our letter welcoming everyone to our Forum. I am going to insist that it applies to newcomers, old members, novice priests, Teachers and the Buddha himself ...

The only 'rule' on the Forum, besides "Just Sitting" Zazen each day, is to be kind to each other and mutually maintain “gentle speech” in all communication, even when voices disagree on hot issues. Perhaps more than anything, this allows a warm, welcoming atmosphere for new and old, where people can open up without fear.

There may be times to speak up, speak directly and bring out the whip ... but we generally make that the exception and not a rule. I will remind myself of this as well.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast