Thread: The Smokey the Bear Sutra and Gary Snyder

The Smokey the Bear Sutra and Gary Snyder

Greetings to all:

i keep re-reading Aitken Roshi's chapter on Buddhism and Deep Ecology in "The Mind of Clover." This is very powerful material for me, and it keeps bringing me back to the American Poet, Gary Snyder. Gary Snyder was one of the first Americans to travel to Japan to study Zen. He was never ordained, but his study and practice is deep and sincere. He was immortalized by Kerouac as "Japhy Ryder" in "On the Road," and he won the Pulitzer Prize in poetry.

one of my favorite works by Gary Snyder is his "Smokey the Bear Sutra," which can be read in its entirety at this link:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/bear.htm

I particularly love his description of Smokey'

"Bearing in his right paw the shovel that digs to the truth beneath appearances, cuts the roots of useless attachments, and flings damp sand onto the fires of greed and war.

His left paw in the mudra of Comradely Display - indicating that all creatures have the full right to live to their limits and that deer, rabbits, chipmunks, snakes, dandelions and lizards all grow in the realm of the Dharma."

Enjoy!

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Thanks. One of my favorite poems.
    Shinzan

I love that poem and many others of Mr Snyder's too. His blend of deep ecology, Buddhism and First Nation cosmology is compelling.

Dharma Bums is another great book by Kerouac on the relationship between Kerouac and Snyder.

Thank you, Juki.

Gassho
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Dharma Bums is another great book by Kerouac on the relationship between Kerouac and Snyder.

Thank you, Juki.

Gassho
    Andy
    obviously, I was too enthusiastic about getting this post up, Kokuu. Japhy Ryder was not in "On the Road." He was in Dharma Bums. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Mp
    Very nice Juki ... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thanks Juki for linking this Snyder piece on your post. A humorous reminder of a deadly serious subject. Snyder's writings are always delicious and spot on. I had not seen this one!

Anne

Ps.

I am reminded of a post in Sweeping Zen on ecological responsibility. A very powerful piece on "ordinary mind".
    http://sweepingzen.com/ordinary-mind/

bows,
    Anne