Thread: Announcement: Nishijima Gudo Wafu Roshi has Passed.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Announcement: Nishijima Gudo Wafu Roshi has Passed.

Dear All,

I have just received the news that my Teacher, and Taigu's Teacher's Teacher, NISHIJIMA GUDO WAFU, passed from this visible world.

A funeral will be conducted next week here in Tokyo. I will also be writing with information on a Memorial for Roshi here at Treeleaf.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima (西嶋愚道和夫) was born November 29, 1919. He Practiced Zazen for over 70 years. He was a teacher to Zen students from around the world, and a translator of Buddhist texts from Japanese and Sanskrit. A student of “Homeless” Kodo Sawaki, the itinerant master famous for his efforts to restore Zazen to its place as the center of Buddhist practice, Master Nishijima shared in that philosophy. Master Nishijima was ordained and received Dharma Transmission from the late Master Rempo Niwa, abbot of Eihei-ji temple and head of the Soto school of Zen Buddhism. Gudo Nishijima wrote and translated many books on Buddhism in both Japanese and English, including full translations of Master Dogen’s Shobogenzo (with Chodo Cross) and Shinji Shobogenzo.

A short film of Roshi Just Sitting, by my Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson ...

Endless Bows, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-30-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE