Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Nishijima Gudo Wafu Roshi has Passed.

Announcement: Nishijima Gudo Wafu Roshi has Passed.

Dear All,

I have just received the news that my Teacher, and Taigu's Teacher's Teacher, NISHIJIMA GUDO WAFU, passed from this visible world.

A funeral will be conducted next week here in Tokyo. I will also be writing with information on a Memorial for Roshi here at Treeleaf.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima (西嶋愚道和夫) was born November 29, 1919. He Practiced Zazen for over 70 years. He was a teacher to Zen students from around the world, and a translator of Buddhist texts from Japanese and Sanskrit. A student of “Homeless” Kodo Sawaki, the itinerant master famous for his efforts to restore Zazen to its place as the center of Buddhist practice, Master Nishijima shared in that philosophy. Master Nishijima was ordained and received Dharma Transmission from the late Master Rempo Niwa, abbot of Eihei-ji temple and head of the Soto school of Zen Buddhism. Gudo Nishijima wrote and translated many books on Buddhism in both Japanese and English, including full translations of Master Dogen’s Shobogenzo (with Chodo Cross) and Shinji Shobogenzo.

A short film of Roshi Just Sitting, by my Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson ...

Endless Bows, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-30-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

So sorry to hear of this news, Jundo. It must be of great personal sadness to you as well as his many other students.

In my humble opinion, the best memorial to Nishijima Roshi, and other fine teachers who have passed, is to take their words to heart and practice well.

Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhi Svaha.

Kokuu
    Last edited by Kokuu; 01-30-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Dear All.

I would like to invite all to watch a documentary about Master Nishijima filmed a few years ago. It begins iat the Zen Dojo that Roshi established and maintained for many years near Tokyo, and continues at our root temple of the Tokei-in in Shizuoka, Japan, and during a Teaching tour by Roshi in Europe. In the opening minutes, he is heard in his office with my Dharma Brother, Peter, discussing Birth and Death as Just This Moment.

(I am pleased to say that a younger me was at that retreat, seen carrying a blackboard with Roshi's Teaching of "REALITY" ). I believe this film truly captures Nishijima Roshi's personality and energy.

Nine Bows, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-30-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Without Master Gudo I'd never explore our ANS connection.

Gratitude and Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    A sad day indeed Jundo ... a beautiful teacher that will truly be missed.

Deep bows
    Shingen

I'm so sorry to hear this news. My heart is with you, his family, his friends, his students...much Metta. Thank you for the videos, I will watch today.

_/\_
    Kelly/Jinmei

very sad day.

this is one of my favorite videos of him and is how I will remember him

Hogen
    法眼

#SatToday

Hello,

he sure transmitted the dharma in countless different ways. I owe him a lot!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Deep bows

Gassho,

Daido

He will be missed by many. His influence on the spread of the dharma is incalculable.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Such sad news...it is difficult to find words for something such as this for me. My heart goes out to those who knew him on a personal level.

I love watching his videos and learning from him. Makes me appreciate technology all the more.

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

I'll be viewing the videos this week in his memory. Sadness, but also deep gratitude.

_/|\_

Very sad news... he's ultimately the reason the dharma spread to me and I started sitting Shikantaza. Metta and prayers to his friends, family and students who knew him on a personal basis

Gassho,

Risho

Deep bows, may his teachings live on forever through us all.

Gassho,

Daijo

It's sad to see someone so genuine pass. Without him, I think I would not be here practicing with you Jundo and this sangha. His teachings and wisdom will always live on.

Gassho,
    Jeff
    "Those who see worldly life as an obstacle to Dharma see no Dharma in everyday actions. They have not yet discovered that there are no everyday actions outside of Dharma."

- Dogen Zenji

Gassho to his memory: may it last a long time.

Kirk

Yugen
    It is now our turn to live the teachings - the best tribute to him we could give. Why should we feel any differently now than we did before he passed from this world? Sadness, yes, but also a feeling of gratitude and celebration on a daily basis for what he has given us - it is not "ours" but we have a duty to cultivate, nurture, and live in the flowing stream of these teachings.

It was through his work on the Shinji Shobogenzo that I made my way to Treeleaf. Thank you all - Nishijima Sensei, Jundo, Taigu, and my sisters and brothers at Treeleaf.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sad news, but he lives on in all of us through his teaching. Very grateful
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Announcement: Nishijima Gudo Wafu Roshi has Passed.

A great awakening.
    Bows of gratitude.
    A mountain falls.

Gassho
    Myozan

PS: ... And gratitude for Jundo and Taigu.
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 01-30-2014 at 04:27 PM.

This is really sad news.
    As Yugen said, the best way we can honor Nishijima Roshi is living according to his teachings that he passed on to our teachers.
    He lives on in Jundo, Taigu and everyone who studied under him, read the English translation of the Shobogenzo or listened to his talks. He will not be forgotten.

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Very sad news indeed. I feel much gratitude to a man who had such a positive influence for so many and it shows in his students and heirs. Also much gratitude and condolences for Jundo and Taigu.

Deep bows
    Shohei

Very sorry to hear of this. I am very grateful to Roshi for passing the teaching down to Jundo and the rest of his students, which includes all of us here at Treeleaf. Deep bows.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Hi.

We are here for you.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

_/\_

Metta to those feeling his passing.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

As a practitioner of Zen who has benefited from Nishijima Roshi both directly through the written word and indirectly through Jundo, Taigu, and, yes, even Brad, I understand that we all disappear from this visible world. The cycle of life and death can create great suffering and only by being aware of that suffering can we find peace.

But I am so very sad...as it should be when any of us die.

Infinite bows to Gudo Wafu and all he touched so deeply. Your loss will be in my thoughts.

Gassho,
    Dosho

A long and fruitful life - that continues in the teachings he handed down.

Willow

surely he leaves the world bigger. I am grateful.

gassho, Robt

Sad to hear this. Thank you Nishijima Roshi for your teachings and a life well-lived

Gassho,
    Sam

We are here thanks to his teachings and guidance.

Sad day indeed, but now one thing is clear: we must keep his dharma and his history alive.

Much metta to his family, students and friends.

Deep bows in gratitude,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thinking of you Jundo and Taigu.

I will read a little from him today and then sit.

Gassho

Edit: also, many thanks for this documentary; I'm looking forward to watching it.
    Shōmon

Shin Jin Datsu Raku.
    Deep bows to his teachings and for his disciples.
    Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Sadness, a deep bow.

Gassho

Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Deep bows in gratitude for his guidance, teachings and writing that took so much work and is so readily available for us now. A great legacy. Also metta to Jundo, Taigu and all those who were closest to him.

Gassho

MyoHo
    Mu

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I just saw the news on /r/Buddhism on reddit. Metta to Nishijima Roshi's family, friends, and students (which is ultimately all of us I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    It is now our turn to live the teachings - the best tribute to him we could give. Why should we feel any differently now than we did before he passed from this world? Sadness, yes, but also a feeling of gratitude and celebration on a daily basis for what he has given us - it is not "ours" but we have a duty to cultivate, nurture, and live in the flowing stream of these teachings.

It was through his work on the Shinji Shobogenzo that I made my way to Treeleaf. Thank you all - Nishijima Sensei, Jundo, Taigu, and my sisters and brothers at Treeleaf.
    ^^^ This. So much this. Thank you Yugen.

Deep bows.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

He lived an long life and seemed like a fantastic person to know. Metta to all who knew him.

Gassho
    Javier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sad day for all whom he touched through his tireless teaching. I stopped when I read the news of his passing and thought if it wasn't for Master Nishijima's spreading the Darhma I may not have had the chance to practice this way. I truly feel blessed for all teachers who have come before, all who share our time/ space ( deep bows to Jundo and Taigu ), and all who are yet to be.
    Gassho, Jakudo.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Gratitude
    Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

3 bows to Gudo Nishijima Roshi.
    3 bows to his successors : Jiun Rommeluère, Jundo Cohen and Taïgu Turlur.
    The ketsumyaku that Nishijima Roshi transmit me via "Jiun Rommeluère" is in my altar as a constant reminder to practice the true Dharma.

Gasshô
    Anshu-Henri
    Le secret consiste donc seulement à dire "OUI" et à se jeter dans le vide. Dès lors, il n'y a plus de problème. Il s'agit d'être soi-même dans l'instant présent, toujours soi-même, sans s'accrocher à son vieux moi.
    Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

So sad to hear the news of the passing of this great and humble teacher, Gudo Nishijima Roshi. Metta to his family and all that mourn in his passing from this visible life. My humble condolences to Jundo, Taigu, and also to Brad.

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Joyo
    Sending condolences as well. Much metta to both Jundo and Taigu. May you take comfort in the thoughts that his legacy lives on, through both of you, and through all of us. We are all connected.

Deep bows,
    Joyo

He left a fine legacy

If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Deep bows.
    Entai / Bill

Much metta to all who knew him. Without Nishijima Roshi, we would not have this wonderful place to practice from all over the world.

Deep bows,
    Steven

Much Metta and serenity for his family due such great loss.... much Metta for all his students in the Dharma, may we all find in his example inspiration and courage to sit, every day, just sit

In eternal gratitude, deep bows for our ancestor

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Metta to you Jundo. Will watch the videos and dedicate tonight's sit to Master Nishijima, and all those who are feeling the loss of someone they love.

Gassho, John

As I wrote already on the training section:

Eternal bows to Nishijima
    alive or dead
    for us is one, and not two
    and yet
    it is also tears of joy or sadness

eternal bows to Nishijima
    for being brave and bold here and now
    to give fools like me, like you
    a single flower

bowing in bowing
    sweet , so sweet
    traces vanished

yet
    this is real

this is real

gassho to all

Taigu

This word passed on from one of Nishijima Roshi's Japanese students about his last moments ...

===============

Yesterday I talked with master Nishijima's daughter.

She said that she had heard the last word of Sensei from his nurse.
    When the nurse tried to attach oxygen mask on Sensei,
    he rejected it and said.
    'I decide my death time by myself'
    We will attend The funeral ceremony on February 4th and 5th.

Gasshô

Eiki.yanagimoto
    (Dotetsu eiju)

A sad day. Grateful for his teaching. Much metta.

Deep bows,
    Genshin (Matt)

Please accept my condolences.
    He has left us all with a great gift, his students and this home.
    May his family find some comfort in knowing how much he meant to so many.

Metta and love.

Gassho, Louis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast