Thread: The Tree Branch

The Tree Branch

When I was a young boy I was a walker. Even if none of my friends were around I would go outside just simply walking. Not with a goal in mind of playing or going to a destination, just simply walking. Walking out and around the neighborhood and then home thousands of times.

I remember one day walking in the woods next to my neighborhood. I remember crawling out onto a Tree's branch that stretched out over a river. The smell of winter was in the air. Fall was dying and giving birth to the new season. I sat on that big branch leaning against one of this Tree's many other branches. I sank deeper and deeper into the moment. For the first time in my life...stillness...silence...space. The "I" fell away...thus.

I sit on the branch, the sound of water below me, gentle breeze fill my ears. A single snowflake dancing in front of my eyes. I followed the snowflake....followed the snowflake...the snowflake...snowflake...____________________...

I shivered as the air grew cold...The cold air shivered.
    I sat upon the branch...The branch sat upon me.
    The sky opened up, thousands of snowflakes fell...and only one snowflake fell.

Emptiness...

And though I could have sat there, always sitting, forever. I stood up, and walked home for the first time after so many times.

Let go of the "snowflake"...

I don't think I could ever really put into words, but I wrote the best I could...

In the many moments that came and passed after that moment, I found Buddhism, I found zen, I found our practice.

That's awesome, Bobby!!!

Gassho,
    Treena

Such timeless moments are wondrous!

Lovely branch, feeling the cold air here.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    Practice with humility, respect all beings, avoid attachments, give rise to prajña from your own awareness, put an end to delusions - Hui-neng

Wonderful Bobby, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?
    ~ Dogen Zenji

Beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Gassho,
    Chelsea

Thank you

Gassho

P.S. Yup, I know, my English sucks

By the way, a post on another thread reminds us that no single moment, no matter how precious and life changing, is "It" ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post119310

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, a post on another thread reminds us that no single moment, no matter how precious and life changing, is "It" ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post119310

Gassho, J
    Thank you very much for sharing this Jundo

Gassho
    Bobby