Thread: Meditation timer - another idea

Meditation timer - another idea

There are often discussions of meditation timers here and on other forums. The main reason for a timer is to make sure you've sat enough; not to stop you from sitting more (at least that's how I see it). There are clocks, electric timers, very expensive meditation-specific timers advertised in dharma magazines, and apps for smartphones.

But seeing this today made me think of a much better timer:

http://www.theschooloflife.com/shop/15minutes/

Why not use an hourglass? The one above is only 15 minutes; I'd ideally like a 30-minute hourglass, like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elegant-Glas.../dp/B009P7WKQQ

In fact, it looks exactly the same, except for the color of the sand, and the number 15.

Does anyone use an hourglass? Actually, how many people use timers? I don't, generally, though sometimes if I feel I haven't sat enough, I'll look at the time on my phone to see if I should try and sit more.

I use a timer that let's me know if time is up with a sound. It deters me from constantly moving my head and eyes to check if I've sat enough (say clocks or hourglasses) I also use the same timer when I study. I dunno, just a personal taste. I don't like sitting too long to neglect my duties, but maybe I should try out sitting with no timer one of these days when I'm not busy.

Gassho, Ben
    Gassho
    Ben

Me too Ben, just need a small single sound to indicate the 40 minute mark has come and gone. Usually, I just use an incense stick but there is that impulse to look how far it has burned ( on one of those harder days ) Also want to see if I can make one of these one day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starmist1/3623535909/

Kinda cool too.

Gassho

E.
    Mu

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwala View Post
    I use a timer that let's me know if time is up with a sound. It deters me from constantly moving my head and eyes to check if I've sat enough...
    I am the same ... I use a digital timer when I sit or I am sitting with a group. A sound ending the sit allows me to just sit and not worry about time. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I keep thinking that if I use a timer, then I'd keep glancing at it. :-)

Sometimes you do look at it more often hen other times. After a while you get used to it and it helps with your practice, if you keep the discipline and don't get up before the timer goes off, that is. Nowadays I just know when 30 minutes have past and have a timer or a stick of incense just to confirm. Often I mindlessly put my hand on the timer a few seconds before it goes off and press the button when it does. Is that like that Pavlov dog training, lol? So I guess a cheap kitchen timer works just fine. Don't worry too much about it I'd say!

Gassho

E.
    Mu

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I keep thinking that if I use a timer, then I'd keep glancing at it. :-)
    This is a valid point. I find it easiest to have a time that I cant see, e.g. when sitting on g+ a background app on my mac or on my phone, even the older ones have a timer usually. I think an hourglass is _nice_ but I would stare at it too often
    Gassho
    Myoku

I like the Insight Timer for ipod/iphone. I'm able to lock the device, so that I can't see the timer ticking down, and it dings after the session is complete to let me know I'm done.

I feel that temptation of looking sometimes too, so I make sure to lock it and I put it behind me so it's out of sight.

But there are other environmental sounds that sometimes give me a sense of time. Like if the AC goes on, I can figure that so much time has gone by. hahahaah

My mind is a tricky SOB

Gassho,

Risho

Most times I don't keep time. Even as the timekeeper of my sitting group, I just sort of ring the bell "as the spirit moves me". Funny thing is, it always seems to be at about the 25-30 minute mark.

Gassho,

Chuck

My apologies. It's not really "my" sitting group.

The "Zen Alarm Clock" is $189. I use a $2 kitchen timer from K-Mart. Works great. If I'm going to spend $189, I'd rather buy incense, books or donate to the local homeless shelter.

Gassho,

Fugu

I don't know the zen alarm clock, but I have seen as for the Enso which is around 100 dollars. Considering you can buy a smartphone app for a buck, or, as you say, a cheap alarm clock for about the same price, it's a bit ludicrous.

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkyo View Post
    Also want to see if I can make one of these one day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starmist1/3623535909/
    Genius! I love it!

I admit that I shelled out over $100 for a beautiful timer that has a real bell inside. Since the manufacturers were fellow practitioners at the time, I knew I was supporting a small family business and it still makes me feel connected to that sangha. It's no longer on the market, unfortunately.

Sometimes I just set the timer on the microwave. I prefer a sound, too, instead of having to look.

Myoshin
    For those who doesn't work with I-pad but android I found a soto timer, with time for preparation, zazen, kin-hin, zazen, end. Simple image of the circle painted.

Gassho

Myoshin

When in my room I use the following for a timer on my desktop computer:

http://www.onlinemeditationtimer.com/

Gassho,
    Tim

Thanks for the idea - I don't usually use a timer but I've ordered a 20 min hourglass from Amazon. They have a really good selection at reasonable price.
    ..... and I reckon it will be useful for the grandkids when they stop over - to encourage them to allow us to sleep for an extra 20 mins when they wake us really early

Gassho

Willow

On my droid, I have a handy app called Bodhi Timer. It is free and works really well, very simple but with a few options.

An Enso is slowly completed across the screen as your sitting time nears an end. This is nice to just sit the phone down on the altar.

Gassho,
    Alex

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Look upon the world as a bubble,
    regard it as a mirage;
    who thus perceives the world,
    him Mara, the king of death, does not see.

—Dhammapada

Sat Today

Myoshin
    Thank you Alex, I downloaded your timer

Gassho

Myoshin

I use i-qi timer on my phone. It hides the time and then at the end it plays a realistic sounding chime or bowl. It is simple to use and I like that it hides the time

Quote Originally Posted by Myoshin View Post
    Thank you Alex, I downloaded your timer

Gassho

Myoshin
    I'm glad I was able to help!

Gassho

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Look upon the world as a bubble,
    regard it as a mirage;
    who thus perceives the world,
    him Mara, the king of death, does not see.

—Dhammapada

Sat Today