Thread: Brad Warner on ordination

Brad Warner on ordination

Some interesting thoughts on something that's been on my mind lately:

http://hardcorezen.info/ordination-and-stuff/2437

"People have asked what it means to be ordained as a Zen priest. The best answer I can give is I don’t know. I was ordained by Nishijima Roshi many years ago. But he never sat me down and told me what it was supposed to mean. He seemed to feel that I could work that out for myself. Whatever questions I asked him about it were met with answers from him that boiled down to, “You will figure it out.”"

Lovely!

And I love Brad's Rakusus ...

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

At "Beginner's Night" meditation class recently, someone asked what rank or status was conferred by the rakuzu. I replied, "That of servant."
    Emmet

Quote Originally Posted by Piobair View Post
    At "Beginner's Night" meditation class recently, someone asked what rank or status was conferred by the rakuzu. I replied, "That of servant."

Deep bows. I will remember this.

Gassho

Daido

Excellently put, Piobair. I always say that a priest is like something for all sentient beings to walk on. No special dignity. No rank. Nothing.

thank you for that reminder

gassho

Taigu

Soto Daiji and Shisho example as sent by Taigu.JPG
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-28-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Like Dosho says, wearing a rakusu is like wearing an apron. "How can I be of service?"

Thank you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Really like this, Piobair.

Excellent article by Brad too. Thank you for the share, Kirk.

Gassho
    Andy

Hello,

"You will figure it out out."

Ain't it the truth.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Yes, they certainly represent Brad well.

I was surprised that the rakusus didn't have a ring.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely!

Gassho, J

Gassho

Good to be reminded of this. Thank you, Piobair.

Thanks for the share, Kirk.

Gassho
    Matt

hi Dosho,

rakusu of the nyohoe style, for lay people or priests NEVER have rings...

And if you get your rakusu from a monk shop, it will ALWAYS have a ring.

So ring is nothing to do with priesthood, but rather Japanese fashion.

gassho

Taigu

A "monk shop?" That exists?

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Monk shops do exist. The one I visited, Matsumotoya in Kyoto, was amazing. All the textiles, gold ornaments, doodads, bells (no whistles) and very expensive okesas you can imagine. Sit down and share tea while you develop your order. Their catalog is 300 pages, color glossy, but sadly all in Japanese. Temple standards/fashion seems complicated.

Craving arising. Heehee

My thanks too to Piobair, for the "rakusu = servant" metaphor. I've also heard the okesa referred to as a sign that says "bring your suffering here."
    Shinzan
    Last edited by Shinzan; 01-08-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post
    Monk shops do exist. The one I visited, Matsumotoya in Kyoto, was amazing. All the textiles, gold ornaments, doodads, bells (no whistles) and very expensive okesas you can imagine. Sit down and share tea while you develop your order. Their catalog is 300 pages, color glossy, but sadly all in Japanese. Temple standards/fashion seems complicated.

Craving arising. Heehee

My thanks too to Piobair, for the "rakusu = servant" metaphor. I've also heard the okesa referred to as a sign that says "bring your suffering here."
    Shinzan
    Yes, it is a very interesting experience. Some of my Koromo and other items have come from Matsumotoya and other shops. First, they ask your school (Shingon, Tendai, Jodo, Nichiren, Zen ... if Zen, then Soto, Rinzai or Obaku ... if Soto, then whether Eiheiji or Sojiji Lineage, because the Sojiji and Eiheiji items are sometimes different).

Basically, they supply everything one would need for a temple ... from gold altars and statues, to incense and robes ... and it ain't cheap! Here, for example, are a couple of their "top of the line" Rakusu ... about $400 US for each. Even simple Rakusu start around $100.

http://www.matsumotoya.com/shop/prod...category_id=93

I prefer our hand sewn way for sure!

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Taigu.

I was actually referring to that very point. I thought Brad would be the type to just send his students to the "monk shop". I was pleasantly mistaken.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    hi Dosho,

rakusu of the nyohoe style, for lay people or priests NEVER have rings...

And if you get your rakusu from a monk shop, it will ALWAYS have a ring.

So ring is nothing to do with priesthood, but rather Japanese fashion.

gassho

Taigu

Despite his aggressive sounding tone, Brad's actually a very traditional guy when it comes to his Zen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely!

Gassho, J
    Fantastic!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Thanks for sharing Kirk!
    I had read this a couple days ago and saw the pics of the rakusu - wonderful.

Gassho
    Shohei