Thread: Gratitude

Gratitude

2013 has been a rough year for me with ending relationships, bad health, poor finances and a forced house move. On the plus side it has been my first year as part of this sangha and many of the highlights of this year have come from that – reading and sharing Shobogenzo, interacting on the forums, global service days, the weekly and monthly zazenkais, Ango, sewing a rakusu, the two day Rohatsu retreat and the many friends I have made here.

So, many thanks to all of you - teachers, students and unsui - for your support, friendship and inspiration. Walking this path is hard and the presence of spiritual friends is one of the things that makes it possible for me to carry on when sitting is hard and I start to question whether practice is worth doing.

Wishing all of you a very happy midwinter with your loved ones and looking forward to sharing Jukai, oryoki practice and more in 2014.

Through the solstice rain
    a glimmer of sunlight marks
    the way into spring.

Deep bows
    Andy

Kyotai
    Same to you Andy. It's been a rough one for me as well. All the best and glad you feel at home here.

Gassho

Shawn

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Mp
    Thank you Andy and I too wish you well in your journey that we walk together. Life can be hard at times, but I feel that I practice helps us be with those hard times so we may come out the other end with Buddha in our hearts.

All the best over the holidays and I will be there as a witness to support you and the others during your Jukai ceremony. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    Andy,
    I never thought of Ernest Hemingway in the context of Zen, but he said something to the effect that "life makes us stronger in the broken places" - I am so glad you have found community here at Treeleaf - and we are very fortunate to have you here - you have added a lot to our Sangha. I second Shingen's words - I would be honored to witness your Jukai ceremony, and continue this path with you. The Lotus Blossom is a perfect example of something beautiful that grows from the sustenance provided by the difficulties of life.... I always look forward to your posts and wisdom. Have a marvelous holiday -

We are always here - you are not alone.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Deep bows
    Yugen

Yugen
    Shawn,
    The courage you have shown in the last year has inspired me through challenges of my own - I am grateful to you. The courage and integrity of sharing is a great gift to all of us - Thank you.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Kyotai
    Yugen. You have been a great ear for me while moving through this grief. Thank you for helping my family through a dark place.

Gassho

Shawn

Deep bows, Andy and Shawn.

Shawn,

What you have been through this year puts my own problems very much into perspective.

I wish you much peace this midwinter.

Gassho
    Andy

Kyotai
    Andy, did not mean to commandeer your thread, just wanted to let you know you are not alone in having a rough go. I wish I would have had the frame of mind to sit throughout the whole experience. It seems you have been hit by one thing after another, I share that with you. I have also had years of my life where things could not have gone better. It is funny how this happens. I can tell you that some very positive has come as a result of the very negative. It was hard to see that in the midst of it all. It often still is. Good luck with your Jukai ceremony! Hopefully we can sit together soon.

Gassho

Shawn

Shawn

I don't feel you have commandeered the thread at all, and, while I don't want anyone else to have suffered, it is good to be reminded that I am not alone in having struggled this past twelve months and that my problems are not the worst that could befall anyone.

Thank you for your positive outlook. I can imagine it has been hard to come by at times. I look forward to sitting with you too.

Gassho
    Andy

Yugen
    Cheers to you both. This dialogue makes me very content. Thank you Andy for starting this thread -

Deep bows
    Yugen

Joyo
    Andy, thank you for sharing this here; it has certainly touched me as I too have gone through many difficult things in 2013. It has been such an honour to practice with everyone here, that we can share, encourage, support, and learn together.

Wishing Andy, Shawn, and all the others here a wonderful 2014.

Deep bows,
    Treena

This thread just demonstrates the love and care that is shared in this sangha.

Deep Bows
    Taikyo

Deep bows to you all.

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Deep bows to all the caring members of our sangha.

Willow

Andy, Shawn, and all,
    Altho having joined the group only recently, I have to share the same sentiment, gratitude for your graciousness here that salved a sore heart. Practice and life are not different. As they say, "I depend on the kindness of strangers."

So let me lift my cup of tea to you all. Shinzan

Andy,

I think the beauty of this practice is that it reveals itself when we experience trying times. To just be. And that can be so tremendously difficult sometimes. Wishing you all the best!

Gassho,

Lu
    Shinjin datsuraku, datsuraku shinjin..Body-mind drop off, mind-body drop off..

Thank you everyone!

Gassho, Ben
    Gassho
    Ben

Bows to all my fellow sangha members. Being grateful for hardships is tough...but good practice.

Metta
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

One third of the people born in my birth year are already dead so I'm grateful to be here. Long live treeleaf.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Andy, such kind and moving words. I do hope this year brings more good things than bad to us all here. I know Treeleaf has been my rock when I haven't been able to find the shore.

Wishing you all the best in the new year.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei