Thread: Very powerful movie scene about waking up

Very powerful movie scene about waking up

So I'd like to share this scene with you all, it's from Dan Millman's Peaceful warrior. This is the first encounter that led me into the path of awakening. The movie is about an arrogant, smart, good looking, cocky teenager that somehow feels there's something wrong with how he is living. He is an elite gymnast, and ironically I am a gymnast to - no wonder this movie really smashed me into a road less traveled. 'when the pupil is ready the master appears', the main character Dan meets this old man who starts to 'train' him in how to 'awake'.

I think this movie is perfect for anyone that is in the process of waking up and the scene that I will embed here is PRECISELY how I feel right now these days. With the conception, I haven't dropped 'my self' yet. By dropping your ego really means DEATH for everything you know. And god how do one develop strength for something like that.

This scene is from when Dan thinks about suicide, right in the middle of the awakening process I guess. Stuck between two worlds, I feel the same.

How do one develop the strength to do this?

EDIT: You have to click on the link to the scene on youtube, embedding wasn't allowed.

thanks
    Last edited by Neo; 12-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Awesome. Right up my alley. Intense.

I feel though that the advice you'll get here is to stop trying to kill the self. Just stop clinging to opinions, views, concepts, preferences and sitting with what is. That way you starve the ego to death. Then again I'm just a parrot, I don't really 'get' anything.

As for developing strength, I suggest thinking about your own inevitable death. Its not necessary to hold on, its actually impossible to hold on from the start. There was never a cliff to which we clung to, it was just smoke.

Good luck to us both.

Gassho, Ben
    Gassho
    Ben

Kyotai
    This movie was also what brought me to meditation and later Buddhism and zen. The movie trailer literally caught my attention, I had never even considered not identifying my thoughts with who I am. Anyway, that was literally my starting point as well back in 2006. The movie and book add a little mystery and fantasy to grab the viewer, it did its job to convey something very real. Thank you for sharing.

Gassho

Shawn

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Stepping off a 100 foot pole?

Yes, hard to be a gymnast if one completely lets go of the self. There are times to flow selflessly on the bar ... all merged as one ... time to just sit in a bar laughing with friends.

I suppose this too is a matter of balance. Better to master riding the self like a gymnastics horse, going through life gracefully as one's floor routine.

I saw the movie (which I thought was just okay, by the way) as more about sometimes dropping the ego, sometimes befriending one's ego, taming the rough spots and making peace with oneself. My favorite scene in the movie (spoiler alert) is when the Teachers just disappears in the end.

I feel though that the advice you'll get here is to stop trying to kill the self. Just stop clinging to opinions, views, concepts, preferences and sitting with what is. That way you starve the ego to death.
    That is nice. I am not sure that we starve the ego to death, so much as see through it, be free from its games, master it, keep balance ... know when to pick it up, know how to put it down ... twirl it around like this ...

Gassho, J

PS - My favorite "Zen Movie" ...

Last edited by Jundo; 12-20-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I've got that one on my to watch list Jundo!

Well, for anyone who liked the movie (peaceful warrior), it's just a teaser really, the book is more real, desperate, scary. First time i read the book I wasn't ready for sure and just got more afraid of 'the unknown'. But life is scary and you need to jump...

I would like to check out "enlightenment guaranteed" but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a copy?
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

This is a collection of scenes from a Korean film called "Doomsday Book" It's a collection of short stories all on the subject of, well...death. It's got zombies, gore, etc....but this portion of the movie is beautiful. It revolves around a monastery and their resident robot, who just so happens to awaken to it's own Buddha nature. Of course his manufacturers deem him as "defective". Pretty neat little short. The whole movie is available for streaming on Netflix.

Oh. And I did enjoy Peaceful Warrior too.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck13 View Post
    This is a collection of scenes from a Korean film called "Doomsday Book" It's a collection of short stories all on the subject of, well...death. It's got zombies, gore, etc....but this portion of the movie is beautiful. It revolves around a monastery and their resident robot, who just so happens to awaken to it's own Buddha nature. Of course his manufacturers deem him as "defective". Pretty neat little short. The whole movie is available for streaming on Netflix.
    Fascinating, Thank you. I feel that something so will happen someday.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Catfish, how is your Spanish? I have it in German with Spanish subs. if you like, PM me your mail address.

Gassho

E.
    Mu

Catfish, if you can understand German, Enlightenment Guaranteed is on You Tube:

Gassho
    Andy

Well, I speak a little German and some spanish, but I'm not sure it's enough to actually understand a movie about enlightenment. Now if it were a movie about buying cheese, simple directions, or wearing red pants I would be all over it!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Well, I speak a little German and some spanish, but I'm not sure it's enough to actually understand a movie about enlightenment. Now if it were a movie about buying cheese, simple directions, or wearing red pants I would be all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Fascinating, Thank you. I feel that something so will happen someday.

Gassho, J
    Me too. And why not?