Thread: Strangest G+ "hangout"

Strangest G+ "hangout"

Hello all,

I had something bizarre happen today while in a "hangout" this morning so I thought I would share.

I got up early this morning to meet with someone on G+. Once my meeting was over, I decided to go ahead and sit Zazen before I had to wake my kids up and get them ready for school. So I started a Hangout and invited Treeleaf Zendo as I usually do when I'm siting online. I got settled on my bench and got to it. About 5 minutes in, I hear someone join. I mute my microphone (in case the kids or dogs start raising hell) and leave my speakers on (so I can hear). Usually when someone from Treeleaf joins, there is a little noise and then silence. (I don't face my computer so can't see what is going on). I guess when you invite the Treeleaf Community, it makes it "public" because the gentleman that joined me did not know what was going on. So I start hearing this running monologue in an Australian Accent. He first tries to get my attention, which I ignore thinking he'll get bored and go on to something else. Nope. He then begins, out loud, trying to figure out what it is I'm doing. You know all those thoughts that run through your head when you have an unusual experience? Well, he verbalized all of them. He commented on everything he could see. You should have heard him trying to figure what I had around my neck! (My rakusu) At one point he went on a run with the idea that it was some kind of performance art. This went on for about 10 or 15 minutes with no end in sight. I finally surrendered. I bowed, which I think startled him, and then proceeded to have a nice chat with a young man from Brisbane about what it was I was actually doing.

I spoke to someone in Ireland and Australia, all before 7AM! What an amazing world we live in! :-)

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Definitely cool stuff.
    Dave _/\_

Haha, how cool is that? Lovely!

Thanks for sharing!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Mp
    Shugen ... wow, that is kind of funny. I would have had a hard time not grinning from ear to ear.

Gassho
    Shingen

Great Thank you for sharing

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Hahaha! An interesting audience.

Did he seem at all curious once you talked with him?

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Joyo
    Shugen, your post made me laugh, that he couldn't figure out what was around your neck! What an amazing experience, wow!!

Gassho,
    Treena

". . .it was then I noticed the computer was unplugged!"

Great moment. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Seimyo View Post
    Hahaha! An interesting audience.

Did he seem at all curious once you talked with him?

Gassho
    Seimyo
    A little. He described himself as "anti-religion but was okay with Buddhism". I didn't get to talk to him for too long, my kids needed attending to.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by drocloce View Post
    ". . .it was then I noticed the computer was unplugged!"

Great moment. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    Lol! Damn, my secret is out!

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Awesome!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Recently, I have had people drop in that don't seem to be members of the _Tree leaf Community. I think you are right about community hangouts now being public

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Lol, anti-religion but OK with Buddhism

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Recently, I have had people drop in that don't seem to be members of the _Tree leaf Community. I think you are right about community hangouts now being public

I noticed this Saturday that, when I tried to open the hangout and "invite people", the new interface makes "public" a default choice, and I had to unselect "public". Maybe that was the cause, in that you did not realize that you had to unselect it being a "public" open to all comers hangout.

The new interface I encountered this Saturday had several new twists.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Well, I think I'll leave the public option the way it is. Who knows who will show up. "Uhhhhh, Oh hi, my name is Barrack ? Couldn't sleep. Whatchadoing?"
    Mu

Sitting

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

I've had similar experiences. For several months I would make all my G+ sittings public and had a whole slew of voyeurs join. One Indian fellow would actually join almost every day. He'd never sit zazen but would just watch for about 15 minutes and then log off...then would come back the next morning. Never said anything, never replied to my "Gassho" comment. Interesting world we live in.

Thanks for sharing!

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

If I start a hangout in the Treeleaf Community and invite Treeleaf Zendo a message appears saying you have just made this hangout public. For a member of the community there does not seem to be a way to control this. Maybe someone with Admin privileges can or change this default behavior for everyone.

If I just invite my Treeleaf Circle, the hangout remains private.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Rich,

Very interesting. If I may ask, how do you get to the place where you see the message about the hangout being public? When I try to start a hangout from the Community page it doesn't let me select circles (even though it says I can). I only see checkboxes where I can add individuals.

As for any admin privileges that could change settings, I don't see any pertaining to hangours. One thing I did notice is that we are a "public" group which I previously thought simply meant that people could find the community. Regardless, according to the help page I found, no one outside a community should be able to see anything going on inside the community unless they are a member.

Shugen: Could you tell me how you start a hangout as well?

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If I start a hangout in the Treeleaf Community and invite Treeleaf Zendo a message appears saying you have just made this hangout public. For a member of the community there does not seem to be a way to control this. Maybe someone with Admin privileges can or change this default behavior for everyone.

If I just invite my Treeleaf Circle, the hangout remains private.

Hi Dosho,

I go to my "stream" and start a hangout from there. I invite the "Treeleaf community" once the window for the hangout shows up. I don't start it from the "community" page.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Rich,

Very interesting. If I may ask, how do you get to the place where you see the message about the hangout being public? When I try to start a hangout from the Community page it doesn't let me select circles (even though it says I can). I only see checkboxes where I can add individuals.

As for any admin privileges that could change settings, I don't see any pertaining to hangours. One thing I did notice is that we are a "public" group which I previously thought simply meant that people could find the community. Regardless, according to the help page I found, no one outside a community should be able to see anything going on inside the community unless they are a member.

Shugen: Could you tell me how you start a hangout as well?

Gassho,
    Dosho

I start hangout from the TreeLeaf Community Page. Here's the sequence of screen shots.
    WP_20131218_003.jpgWP_20131218_006.jpgWP_20131218_005.jpgWP_20131218_004.jpg

They are out of order. correct order is 4, 1, 3, 2
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Haha! Hilarious. Thanks for sharing Shugen!

Gassho, John

Dear Shugen,

I've been doing this for a while, and the SAME THING just happened to me....including an interesting conversation with someone from Virginia.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Dear Shugen,

I've been doing this for a while, and the SAME THING just happened to me....including an interesting conversation with someone from Virginia.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    :-)

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼