Thread: Size of Oryoki cloths

Size of Oryoki cloths

I am trying to make some cloths for my oryoki set as you cannot easily get oryoki sets in the UK. I have downloaded intructions which give the sizes of the cloths. However, I have cut out the bowl folding cloth according to these instructions (18"x18") and it looks and feels too small to me. Can anyone help by measuring their cloths & letting me know.

Gassho
    Taikyo

Hi Taikyo,
    Will do later. Have to go out now. But will post measurements this evening.
    Gassho
    M

Good idea to make the cloths, Taikyo. I may follow suit.

Having looked online, an oryoki retailer gives these sizes:

Lap Cloth; 21.5" x 10.5"

Wrap Cloth: 17.5" x 17.5"

Wipe Serviette: 13" x 13"

So, your 18"x18" sounds about right. Could you share your instructions, please?

Gassho
    Andy

Hi Guys,

Wonderful that you will sew these. Please follow Myozan's instructions on these as he will be our new Oryoki coach, and will be facilitating an Oryoki Practice Circle here at Treeleaf in the Spring.

I hope you will join in.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Karasu,

The link is :

http://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki-instructions.pdf

but the size of the wrapping cloth doesn't feel right to be but I guess it must be just me.

Gassho

Taikyo

Thank you, Taikyo!

I look forward to Myozan's practice group.

Gassho
    Andy

Yes, thank you Taikyo! I probably won't have time to start another sewing project before next weekend, but great to know.

Looking forward to the Oryoki Practice Circle!

Gassho
    Matt

Hi guys,

While we wait for Myozan, here is a .pdf description found on the net with some more details, measurements and pictures. Have a look! I like the instructions on how to close the set after finishing ,with a particular way of tying the knot. Although Jundo does not need us to go that far on several points during the retreat, it's interesting to see. Also a description of the procedure with meal sutra's in English in the Appendix. Not our lineage but always interesting to see and read. Hope you all enjoy the read!

http://villagezendo.org/wordpress/wp...ryoki_book.pdf

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Guys,

Wonderful that you will sew these. Please follow Myozan's instructions on these as he will be our new Oryoki coach, and will be facilitating an Oryoki Practice Circle here at Treeleaf in the Spring.

I hope you will join in.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Diddo, I think this is a great idea and I am in as well! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    I'm looking forward to joining the Oryoki group!

Deep bows
    Myozan

Hi,
    Yes, I look forward to learning and practicing oryoki with you in the New Year. I am not by any means an expert and hope to learn together with you as a group. It'll be fun!

Here are the oryoki cloth dimensions from my set:

54cm x 54 cm for the wrapping cloth
    32cm x 34cm for the drying cloth
    53cm x 27cm for the napkin (which I find a little small for my agricultural knees)
    27cm x 7cm for the utensil holder

Deep bows,
    Myozan

This sounds great. Count me in as well.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, I look forward to learning and practicing oryoki with you in the New Year. I am not by any means an expert and hope to learn together with you as a group. It'll be fun!

Here are the oryoki cloth dimensions from my set:

54cm x 54 cm for the wrapping cloth
    32cm x 34cm for the drying cloth
    53cm x 27cm for the napkin (which I find a little small for my agricultural knees)
    27cm x 7cm for the utensil holder

Deep bows,
    Myozan
    Wonderful, thank you Myozan. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

For those of us in Europe I received a quote from Still Sitting Meditation Supplies in the US for their oryoki set (including bowls, utensils and cloths) for $77 (about £50/55 Euros), inclusive of shipping. Doesn't seem too bad.

Gassho
    Andy

Please consider me for this oryoki group as well.

Gassho,

Daido

I'd be glad to practice this with you as well. Just measured my set and its about 10% larger than that of Myozan,
    Gassho
    Myoku