Thread: [Engaged] Holiday project to support LGBTQ kids

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joyo

[Engaged] Holiday project to support LGBTQ kids

A fb friend of mind just posted this. Thought I would spread the word......

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...7#.UpQH68RDsg8

Gassho,
    Treena

Thank you Treena. I think it is a wonderful idea, and I am always sad that parents and siblings might reject a family member for who they love or are.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you Treena. I think it is a wonderful idea, and I am always sad that parents and siblings might reject a family member for who they love or are.

Gassho, J
    Me too, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Treena

Mp
    Thank you Treena ... wonderful message. Love and acceptance knows no boundaries. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hello Treena,

thanks for sharing this! I really love the idea and know many people who really struggled during their teens because of all the prejudice etc.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi Treena,
    Like Hans, I can think of many that could have benefited from this effort. Thank you very much for sharing.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Great stuff Treena. Thank you for sharing.
    Gassho
    Myozan

LGBTQ kids are not LGBTQ kids, just kids. Gay or straight, anyone fat or thin, anyone black or white. All just humans. I try not to stereotype anymore. I love the post. Thanks for sharing Treena

Gassho,
    Alex
    Last edited by Heion; 11-29-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarinetist! View Post
    LGBTQ kids are not LGBTQ kids, just kids. Gay or straight, anyone fat or thin, anyone black or white. All just humans. I try not to stereotype anymore. I love the post. Thanks for sharing Treena

Gassho,
    Alex
    Yes, good point Alex. Personally, I try to stay away from labels as well. However, in regards to this topic, I think the only reason for the "label" is because these groups of children are being oppressed so much and yeah, they need all the help, love, and support we can give them.

Gassho,
    Treena

Quote Originally Posted by Heion View Post

Gassho,
    Alex

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Heion View Post
    Gay or straight, anyone fat or thin, anyone black or white. All just humans. I try not to stereotype anymore.
    Perhaps we should also refrain from calling someone "straight" as opposite to gay.
    What is straight's opposite? Curved? Crooked? Twisted? Are gays so?
    Or is it just we are so used to conventions and moral/religious messages that have unknowingly incorporated them?

Just reflecting...

What do you think?

Gassho,
    Walter
    Gassho,Walter

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    Perhaps we should also refrain from calling someone "straight" as opposite to gay.
    Ironically, "straight" was a term originally used by the gay community, in reference to 'ex-gay' men pursuing the "straight and narrow" path. In a sense, it was a term of derision, somewhat like "straight-laced" or "square". It later lost this more specific meaning and became adopted as a synonym for any heterosexual person, male or female. I think it's a pretty neutral term myself, though it can be used to derive derogatory terms like 'bent'.

Quote Originally Posted by delphizealot View Post
    Ironically, "straight" was a term originally used by the gay community, in reference to 'ex-gay' men pursuing the "straight and narrow" path. In a sense, it was a term of derision, somewhat like "straight-laced" or "square". It later lost this more specific meaning and became adopted as a synonym for any heterosexual person, male or female. I think it's a pretty neutral term myself, though it can be used to derive derogatory terms like 'bent'.
    Thanks for the data.
    I didn't know the origin of the term.

Gassho,
    Walter.
    Gassho,Walter

This is wonderful! Thank you Treena.

Kelly/Jinmei

Treena,
    Thank you for this. I can't imagine a more beautiful gesture than to provide someone with a sense of family.

Gassho,
    Bill

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hello all,

Does anyone know if this is going on again this year? My computer is glitching and the website won't pull up for me.

Gassho,
    Dylan

Thank you for sharing!

Gassho,
    -Jeff

What a beautiful project.

Thank you for sharing, Joyo.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I wonder if our Sangha might arrange an LGBTQ group within the Community, and how best that can be set up and hosted? If someone would like to undertake the task of facilitating and organizing such a group, please PM me. I think it actually long overdue around here.

Gassho, Jundo

I wonder if our Sangha might arrange an LGBTQ group within the Community, and how best that can be set up and hosted? If someone would like to undertake the task of facilitating and organizing such a group, please PM me. I think it actually long overdue around here.

Gassho, Jundo
    May I burp in the church on this? I don't care who someone loves, only that they are loving. The thought of a sub-group defined by sexual orientation seems.. separating ..to me. I guess there are issues, social stresses that LGBTQ people face that hetro people don't (though honestly aren't humans on a spectrum and not cut and dry like that?), and mutual support is good, I just hope it doesn't lead to a limitation on how we relate to each other.

Gassho
    Daizan

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    May I burp in the church on this? I don't care who someone loves, only that they are loving. The thought of a sub-group defined by sexual orientation seems.. separating ..to me. I guess there are issues, social stresses that LGBTQ people face that hetro people don't (though honestly aren't humans on a spectrum and not cut and dry like that?), and mutual support is good, I just hope it doesn't lead to a limitation on how we relate to each other.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Hi Daizan,

There seem to be at least two views on such places. One is like yours, that suffering is suffering and there is not need to separate into smaller groups. Another is that people from various backgrounds find safety and sharing when in communion with people from like background. So, I am just offering a welcoming place, and I will leave it to the consensus whether folks feels it is needed. If some people want such a gathering for people with something to share, than why not have such a gathering? This may be especially true for individuals who have faced special issues of identity amid the larger society. There is a certain power in simply being together, and then also a time for being with the rest of the Sangha too, all as one. A time for both.

I understand your feeling too.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-29-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post

Gassho
    Daizan
    It should be a place where people with common issues can help and support each other. In a group like this, if you have a similar issue, you know that you'll be able to find someone who can help you who may have gone through a similar issue before. Asking for help from a mainstream group can be dangerous for people who identify non-mainstream. Of course, in the sangha you expect that everybody will be welcoming, but people can be unintentionally un-welcoming.

I mean, if we had a sitting and discussion group for artists ... why not?

In fact ... why not?

Of course, I have never met two artists with much in common!

Gassho, J

I mean, if we had a sitting and discussion group for artists ... why not?

In fact ... why not?

Of course, I have never met two artists with much in common!

Gassho, J
    That would be called a neurotics discussion group

Gassho
    Daizan

Hello,

All for helping beings realize and rightly understand thinking and speaking actively; living with effort, and always mindful of meditation.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

- Nandi

What a beautiful project!
    Thank you for pointing it out, Treena

Gassho
    Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Joyo
    Hi everyone, you are all most welcome. I have not seen anything posted about this for 2014. If anyone does, please post it and let us all know.

Gassho,
    Joyo