Thread: Even the Dalai Lama farts

Even the Dalai Lama farts

...His Holiness the Dalai Lama. In June, while speaking to an audience in Australia, he explained that, at our core, all people are the same. And then he shared this wonderful anecdote.
    "When in aeroplane, sometimes this gas problem comes," he said. "Then, you see, it is difficult to let out. So, occasionally, you see, look around, then you go like that."
    His Holiness leaned over to the side as though he was letting out a big ripper and then proceeded to laugh like a 12-year-old boy.
    Because farts are funny. Even to the Dalai Lama.
    from http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_t3
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Thanks Alan.

How fart can make you grow spiritually:
    One day, Su Dongpo felt inspired and wrote the following poem:
    稽首天中天,
    毫光照大千;
    八风吹不动,
    端坐紫金莲。

I bow my head to the heaven within heaven,
    Hairline rays illuminating the universe,
    The eight winds cannot move me,
    Sitting still upon the purple golden lotus.

The “eight winds (八风)” in the poem referred to praise (称), ridicule (讥), honor (誉), disgrace (毁), gain (得), loss (失), pleasure (乐) and misery (苦) – interpersonal forces of the material world that drive and influence the hearts of men. Su Dongpo was saying that he has attained a higher level of spirituality, where these forces no longer affect him.

Impressed by himself, Su Dongpo sent a servant to hand-carry this poem to Fo Yin. He was sure that his friend would be equally impressed. When Fo Yin read the poem, he immediately saw that it was both a tribute to the Buddha and a declaration of spiritual refinement. Smiling, the Zen Master wrote “fart” on the manuscript and had it returned to Su Dongpo.
    Su Dongpo was expecting compliments and a seal of approval. When he saw “fart” written on the manuscript, he was shocked . He burst into anger: “How dare he insult me like this? Why that lousy old monk! He’s got a lot of explaining to do!”
    Full of indignation, he rushed out of his house and ordered a boat to ferry him to the other shore as quickly as possible. He wanted to find Fo Yin and demand an apology. However, Fo Yin’s door closed. On the door was a piece of paper, for Su Dongpo. The paper had following two lines:
    八风吹不动,
    一屁弹过江。
    One fart blows me across the river.

This stopped Su Dongpo cold. Fo Yin had anticipated this hot-headed visit. Su Dongpo’s anger suddenly drained away as he understood his friend’s meaning. If he really was a man of spiritual refinement,
    completely unaffected by the eight winds, then how could he be so easily provoked?

With a few strokes of the pen and minimal effort, Fo Yin showed that Su Dongpo was in fact not as spiritually advanced as he claimed to be. Ashamed but wiser, Su Dongpo departed quietly.
    This event proved to be a turning point in Su Dongpo’s spiritual development. From that point on, he became a man of humility, and not merely someone who boasted of possessing the virtue. (history.china-culture.com)

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Reminds a bit of what the French philosopher Michel de Montaigne once said:
    Even on the highest throne in the world, we are still sitting on our ass.
    Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Great quotes Edward and Timo- GaSsho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisoku View Post
    GaSsho.
    did not go unappreciated!
    and neither are they otherwise.

I attended a conference with the Dalai Lama a few years ago, sitting close to him as he spoke. Suddenly, he let out a huge sneeze ... a real humdinger ... and turned beet red with what seemed like a bit of embarrassment, very apologetic. So human. It is one of my favorite Dalai Lama teaching moments.

It is a lovely and wise talk by the DL, besides the fart story at the 3:00 mark. Happiness is a deep, abiding sense of satisfaction.

A related topic that sometimes comes up is what is often meant when the Dalai Lama writes many of his books on "happiness". It is not necessarily (although it sometimes is) giddy giddy ha ha happy happy happiness.

The Tibetans tend to speak of "Happiness" quite a bit in their books and talks ... but when looked at closely, it is much the same as the subtle Joy and Peace that we speak of in the Zen corner of the woods ... a Joy that holds comfortably the happy times and sad times, a Peace that is wholly all life's many pieces.

Frankly, if somebody just wanted to be "happy happy happy", I think there are pharmaceuticals that will do the job faster and deeper than any meditation ... at least for a short time.

I sometimes think that the Tibetans writers chose the word "Happiness" in their literature to impress Westerners. The problem is that some folks may hear that and think that they are going to find the key to 24/7 "laughing gas" happiness ... and are a bit disappointed when in fact what is delivered is something much more subtle (though fathomlessly richer). I once wrote ...

Even in Tibetan Buddhism's emphasis on "happiness" ... such words might disguise the real teaching of the Dalai Lama and most Tibetan Teachers I know (same message as here at Treeleaf, in fact) that the point of this Practice is not the attaining of a happy happy ha ha happy happiness all the time (I have never met such a constantly giddy Tibetan teacher, and who would want such a state ... like only watching the comedy movies and never the drama!), but of a certain subtle Happiness (big "H") that transcends AND yet fully contains both the happy times and the sad, smiles and tears, the rainy days and sunny days, as judged by small human eyes in this life of Samsara. I do not think they are teaching people to feel happy that their mother died or tickled that there is a war somewhere in the world ... but a Boundless Joy and Buddha's Smile that shines through all that life can dish out.

A Buddha's Happiness transcends and holds small human "happy and sad".

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

By the way, please be sure to catch my small "happiness" moment ... as my pants fell down around my knees during yesterday's Zazenkai! From the 11:20 mark here.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...eekly-Zazenkai

Mindfulness ... remembering to tie your pants tight before the Ceremony!

Next time I get too big for my britches, just pull up an old clip of my pants around my knees during the Ceremony!

Gassho, J

Hi Jundo,

Actually it's moments like these that make Treeleaf so nice for me - perfectly imperfect!
    And the look on Dosho's face when he saw it - priceless!

Gassho,

Timo

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by LimoLama View Post
    Hi Jundo,

Actually it's moments like these that make Treeleaf so nice for me - perfectly imperfect!
    And the look on Dosho's face when he saw it - priceless!

Gassho,

Timo
    So true ... Now that is sharing the Dharma in more ways than one!

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, please be sure to catch my small "happiness" moment ... as my pants fell down around my knees during yesterday's Zazenkai! From the 11:20 mark here.

Next time I get too big for my britches, just pull up an old clip of my pants around my knees during the Ceremony!

Gassho, J
    Wonderful! Almost an Abramovic performance art moment

Gassho

Willow

When somepne gets too big for his britches everything gets exposed in the end.

gassho, Shokai

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Jundo, you are a hoot!

Happiness is abiding in the awareness of now. I will pull up that clip of you next time you think you're too big for your britches!
    Shinjin datsuraku, datsuraku shinjin..Body-mind drop off, mind-body drop off..

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by drocloce View Post
    That's awesome, I will remember this.

The eight winds may not move us, but don't stand behind someone farting such a fart. I believe you could be killed, either from force or pungency.
    Shōmon

Farting takes on an important function with age. For the very old it can be a form of propulsion that assists rising from the dinner table, the chairlift, or the bathtub. It gives that extra little boost to get them on their feet.

Daizan /\

Really?

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Gassho, J
    At least we know you hold no attachments to your pants.

I think being larger than life misses the mark anyway.

Gassho
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Really?
    No... It seems to with my flatulent dear hearts, but not really.

Gassho

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Farting takes on an important function with age. For the very old it can be a form of propulsion that assists rising from the dinner table, the chairlift, or the bathtub. It gives that extra little boost to get them on their feet.

Daizan /\
    Oh the bubble baths!

Gassho
    Shingen

Joyo

Gassho, J
    Sorry, Jundo, but this is absolutely hilarious!!! Glad you have a sense of humour

I was at yoga a few nights ago. I missed my usual class so I had to take the "gentle flow" class instead. Well, let's just say gentle flow ended up with the lady right beside me farting--really loud too.

Gassho,
    Treena

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    Well, let's just say gentle flow ended up with the lady right beside me farting--really loud too.

Gassho,
    Treena
    Well, perhaps better that it was the lady right beside than the lady right in front.

Mp
    Well, perhaps better that it was the lady right beside than the lady right in front.
    Depends on how the wind blows! 😅

Gassho
    Shingen

I wonder why this thread reminds me of that song named "Break like the Wind" by the British parody band Spinal Tap...

We are the children who grew too fast
    We are the dust of a future past
    We raise our voices in the night
    Crying to heaven
    And will our voices be heard
    Or will they Break Like The Wind
    We are the footprints across the sands
    We are the thumb on a stranger's hand
    We made a promise in the night
    Swearing to heaven
    Is this a promise we keep
    Or one we Break Like The Wind
    Hey!
    We are the guests who have stayed too long
    We are the end of the endless song
    We send our hearts into the night
    Soaring to heaven
    And will out hearts still beat on
    Or will they Break Like The Wind
    Ooh, Break Like The Wind.

Gassho,

Timo

Joyo
    I can't believe I"m about to say this, but anyone that goes to yoga class, there comes a time when.....

"to fart, or not to fart, that is the question"

Treena

A thread about farts—you folks never fail to amaze me!

Gassho,

Lisa