Thread: Please help

cheskiestar

Please help

Hi,

I am totally new to tree leaf and would like to know the best ways to use the forums, also what they mean to the followers and how important tree leaf is to you. So far I am greatly enjoying my experience, thank you for your time.

Cheska

Hi Cheska

I just began here in July or so of this year. I would say the BEST way to use the forums is whatever they do for YOU. In my case I find them a very helpful teaching tool, and I also like to hear of others experiences and insights as to their practice and what it can teach me/us about the practice.

Just begin reading that which interests you and soon you will figure your way around.

Also, don't feel you need to read or comment on everything. You can use this as a great tool for your practice, but it can also become a sort of unhealthy obsession if you let it.

I think Jundo's advice about imagining that you are in a large monastery with many rooms, and many monks/nuns is well said. You can't be part of everything and shouldn't feel you have to be. If you are new to Zen, a good place to start is with Jundo's and Taigu's training video series.

Gassho
    C

Hi Cheska,

Completely agree with what Clark has posted, don't feel you have to read and comment on every single post or thread. Just to add, I find the "Taigu and Jundo Recommend These Threads Today" posts very useful and a great way of keeping in touch with the sangha.

It would be lovely if you could introduce yourself here:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ember%29/page2

Best wishes & Gassho,
    Matt

Welcome Cheska,

As Clark said, just comment on threads that you feel inclined to. I would recommend starting the Treeleaf experience here. I just started with the first video and went from there. I also found the Buddha Basics discussions very helpful. Treeleaf is very important to me. It feels like home.

Gassho, John

Quote Originally Posted by cheskiestar View Post
    Hi,

I am totally new to tree leaf and would like to know the best ways to use the forums, also what they mean to the followers and how important tree leaf is to you. So far I am greatly enjoying my experience, thank you for your time.

Cheska
    Treeleaf is friendly, there is no being an outsider here. In the "talks and teachings" section of the forum there are two very good areas to explore and learn.. "Buddha-Basics" and "Bodhisattva-basics". I'd suggest starting with Buddha-Basics. Jundo is one of the most accessible and easy to understand Zen Masters teaching today.

Gassho Daizan

Hi Cheska, and welcome. Good to see another UK member!

As others have said, it can be a personal choice how to use the forums and how you use it may change with time and during periods such as Ango and preparing for Jukai which require participation in certain discussions. Personally, I like to use the forums to learn, share and get to know the rest of the sangha and teachers. Practice instruction and the suggested book list help greatly with my offline practice and study.

Trying to be involved in all the discussions here would probably drive you mad! Pick what interests you most and go there. Take breaks if you feel the discussions are getting too much or heady. The forums are a great place to spend time but so is life and your cushion.

Mostly we are just a bunch of friendly people trying our best to engage with the buddhadharma in the 21st century. Share, ask, learn and enjoy!

Gassho
    Andy

Welcome Cheska,
    My suggestion to you is to simply savor each thread you read and each piece of knowledge you collect. Do not be worried if you will benefit from your reading, if you're doing something wrong, or if there is a better way to spend your time. Just completely immerse yourself in what you're doing for the moment.

Gassho,
    Alex

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Look upon the world as a bubble,
    regard it as a mirage;
    who thus perceives the world,
    him Mara, the king of death, does not see.

—Dhammapada

Sat Today

Hello Ceska,

a quick hello from this German fellow. Hay on Wye is a wonderful town btw.

I'd recommend watching your way slowly through the beginner's videos and then to dive into whichever topic takes your fancy.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Welcome Ceska, and thanks to everyone. I am still new to the site as well. The community has been very warm, and very welcoming, and I am loving the various discoveries I keep stumbling across . . .

Sean

Welcome.
    We're always new to Zen Buddhism. Ask, learn practice.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Welcome, Cheska!
    I'm relatively new as well. I was really overwhelmed at first by the amount of threads (and my lack of experience using them). Jundo and Taigu's recommendations are very helpful. But look around, see what speaks to you. This is a wonderful group of people who made me feel at home from the start.

Gassho,
    Bill

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Hi Cheska,

I think you and I started here close to around the same time.

I must say I was very overwhelmed and confused at first. I know I asked a lot of questions. The best recommendations I got from reading is to explore. Judon's post was very helpful that said "to those who may get lost among the many threads and conversations in our forum, please think of a monastery made of wood or brick, with 100 monks holding 10,000 conversations in the hallways, kitchen, Abbot's rooms and library. Would you need or want to hear or join in all or most conversations? Of course not! You would, at best, pick and choose the conversations relevant and helpful to you."

Even though I asked tons of questions (perhaps to many these first couple of days) this community has been nothing but warm and inviting to me still. And some kept their silence with some of my questions perhaps knowing my answers would soon be discovered, and through exploration, reading and videos they were.

Since we both are new to the Sangha feel free to contact me anytime while we take this journey. We need to always hold onto our Beginners Mind.