Thread: why do you come to the forums?

why do you come to the forums?

does coming here and posting here give you a feeling of doing something, going somewhere? it seems it does to me. can I stop coming to the forums? and see nothing is lacking from my life. can I stop reading zen books? and see that I don't really need to know anything more. can I stop sitting for a week or two? without worrying that I won't get it anymore.

what am i doing here? hoping to get "it" by trying to not want it?

Gassho,
    Sam

It seems like you already know the "answer" to all those questions.

Who is the one asking the questions? Who is the one that "knows" that "I don't need to know anything more"?

Who wants "it" by not trying to want "it"?

is the one that wants the "it" any different from the "it"?

In Taigen Dan Leighton's book "Zen questions" he describes Zazen as an inquiry.
    this practice of sitting involves facing the questions, learning about questioning, deepening our question, and allowing questions to arise.
    I thank you for your questions. For me it shows that one's practice is alive. Is organic. Is flowing. Beautiful thing.

In Gassho
    Humbly,
    清竜 Seiryu

Nicely said Seiryu! I was drawn here by a need to learn, practice and share with a community. Why am I here now? Because I'm here. Why do I practice? Because I practice (using the word "I" loosely of course). Be well Sam!

Gassho, John

One wanders into the monastery for a time to rub elbows with "Friends in the Way", to learn and share with Teachers and Companions, receive some guidance and pointers to a Good Direction ... then, whether staying or going on, One puts all into Practice.

Even when inside the monastery, sitting Zazen or working in the garden, Practice is ultimately a one person non-effort wrestling with the "me myself and i". Even if sitting Zazen two feet from companions on either side, Zazen is just sitting Zazen beyond inside or out, left right or center.

Come or go, come or go ... Where are You?

Reading or not reading ... What can be Heard?

Getting or not getting ... What is there to Get?

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

There are two online Buddhist places I go to these days, because it supports practice.. Treeleaf, which is a real community, and another forum because there are some good teachers and old “faces” there. The reason for going online is very simple.. geography. I connect with local sangha when possible, but not nearly as much as I used to, because I no longer have a footloose “Buddhist lifestyle” and am running on the treadmill of middle age responsibilities (care-giving,and trying to sustain a business amid escalating expenses and diminishing capacity). So there is going across town to practice when able, and going for a coffee for conversation when the opportunity arises, but there is also this amazing medium where I can “have a coffee" with practitioners around the world. It is also a place to express in words things that only fellow Buddhist geeks would be passionate about... can't do that with the brother-in-law, ...or business associates. And here at Treeleaf there is also sharing the inexpressible too... globally.
    Very cool and appreciated.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Last edited by RichardH; 11-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.

I don't come to forums.

I come to my home. To my temple. Where my sangha and global family are.

But at the same time, I don't need to go anywhere because I am here.

Right now.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I come to forums because I can't stop myself. I am always here.

Gassho, John

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    I don't come to forums.

Right now.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    I agree ... Treeleaf is not a forum to me, it is my sangha ... my family.

Gassho
    Shingen

I don't come to forums.

Right now.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Beautifully said.

In Gassho
    Humbly,
    清竜 Seiryu

Well said Kyonin. I believe this particular space has transcended a basic forum.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Joyo
    I don't come to forums.

Right now.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Kyonin, I feel the same way. It is such an honour to practice with everyone. Treeleaf, the members here, this is my family, which is something I've never experienced before. Not like this anyway, so thank you everyone, for being part of this sangha.

Gassho,
    Treena

Hello everyone,
    I come here because its where my sangha is.
    Gassho
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Seimyo View Post
    Well said Kyonin. I believe this particular space has transcended a basic forum.

Gassho
    Seimyo
    Cant agree more

Gassho,
    Sam

I'm just here to learn how to levitate and control peoples minds... we do learn that eventually, right?
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

I wanted, and needed a community, a Sangha, to practice and who would understand the meaning practicing Zen has for me. I find this as a second family. Gassho

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    I'm just here to learn how to levitate and control peoples minds... we do learn that eventually, right?
    I"m still working on that one too, Charles. Maybe in our next life that part comes lol!!!

Gassho,
    Treena

Nowhere to come to, as we all are already "there". Alas, this road we all walk on is far more enjoyable in the company of friends, than alone

Gassho,

Lu
    Shinjin datsuraku, datsuraku shinjin..Body-mind drop off, mind-body drop off..

Charles,

YOU WORKING ON LEVITATION ALREADY????? WOW! Must be that Dark zen stuff? Still working on doing dishes the right way .
    With hard work, a good solid 10 year plan and setting several ambitious goals for myself, I hope to get to your level someday? Make myself into a shiny, levitating, always right, out of this world Buddha that everybody is going to want to pay big bucks for to see! YEAH! What was that site for 10 dollar Inka on PDF again?

Gassho

E.
    Mu

I go the forum to watch the lions and gladiators. 😉

Also I like to hear different perspectives and occasionally share my limited experience.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Well, for me, it's a many layered thing. There is of course the obvious conversations going on that are Zen related. Helps me shake myself out of the " I know what I'm talking about syndrome." Even if I never post a reply to a lot of them.It has really opened my eyes on many various subjects.
    Another aspect is the social aspect. Seeing people post about things they are enduring and the happy moments too. I've met some folks that ended up being awesome people outside of the Sangha so to speak. I love the variety of people. Different walks of life, nationalities, behaviors ( I still miss Chet being around and we tend to check on each other via FB here and there). It's exciting to see such a varied group getting along ( even if there may be misunderstandings from time to time).
    It also is just...peaceful to me. I enjoy the entirety of the forum. I enjoy the insights of our teachers here. It's beyond words how grateful I am for finding this special little spot.
    Dave _/\_

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    It is cool stuff Charles .... just make sure you get a wireless keyboard and mouse!

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Shonin View Post
    Well, for me, it's a many layered thing. There is of course the obvious conversations going on that are Zen related. Helps me shake myself out of the " I know what I'm talking about syndrome." Even if I never post a reply to a lot of them.It has really opened my eyes on many various subjects.
    Another aspect is the social aspect. Seeing people post about things they are enduring and the happy moments too. I've met some folks that ended up being awesome people outside of the Sangha so to speak. I love the variety of people. Different walks of life, nationalities, behaviors ( I still miss Chet being around and we tend to check on each other via FB here and there). It's exciting to see such a varied group getting along ( even if there may be misunderstandings from time to time).
    It also is just...peaceful to me. I enjoy the entirety of the forum. I enjoy the insights of our teachers here. It's beyond words how grateful I am for finding this special little spot.
    Dave _/\_
    I miss Chet's input as well. I reckon that's what makes this a sangha and not a discussion forum - after a while here you start to register people's personalities - to care about and learn from members.

And the fact that Jundo and Taigu tirelessly stay in touch and answer a question almost the moment it's asked (even if it's not always the answer we're expecting or want).

All told, we're pretty fortunate here

Gassho

Willow
    Last edited by Jinyo; 11-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.

I'm here, quietly grazing on your words, to help sustain and inspire my practice so my practice may sustain and inspire my life and the lives of others. I am truly grateful for everyone's practice. Thank you.

Gassho

-H
    Smile, breathe, and go slowly.

I echo Myoku, this is our sangha space! Why wouldn't I want to come here?

In Cave of Tigers one of the exchanges mentioned this. Daido Loori spoke that there is no separation between you and Sangha and that if there is separation between 'you' and 'sangha' then there is the place of practice. I think I got that right!?
    Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

I love all the beautiful input here.

And THAT is the reason I come and participate. I realized there was something missing in my own studies about Zen. Books don't interact with us. Books don't help answer the difficult questions, encourage us through example, or especially challenge our misunderstandings or shortcomings directly. Not to the extent that a real person can.

I was talking about this with my Ango practice partner. It is great to have a place to come to learn from so directly. I feel like I have absorbed much more from these forums than years of going once a week to a physical Sangha would have allowed me. In a sense, being here with all of you makes me feel like I AM in the monastery physically daily;no matter WHERE I am physically.

Gassho
    C

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I love all the beautiful input here.

And THAT is the reason I come and participate. I realized there was something missing in my own studies about Zen. Books don't interact with us. Books don't help answer the difficult questions, encourage us through example, or especially challenge our misunderstandings or shortcomings directly. Not to the extent that a real person can.

Gassho
    C
    Clark, that is so well put. I too practiced with books only before finding Treeleaf. Although I am a huge, huge book worm, books still do not have the heart, the input like Treeleaf does.

Gassho,
    Treena

I love the abundance of wisdom and compassion here. It is like finding answers that don't exist.

Gassho,
    Alex