Thread: Rakusu question

Rakusu question

I was just watching a bit of Rev. Taigu's Rakusu sewing video (lesson one). I am wondering if sewing rakusu is something that our sangha does only at a certain time of year and only as a group...? Or if it's something that could be undertaken alone at any time? Is it something one must be deemed "ready for" by a teacher? Or can any 'ol fool (like myself) give it a go? As a sewer this practice appeals to me very much (I know-not the point!! haha!) I did some surfing in the forums but can't seem to find the answers. Thank you!

Gassho
    Bunny

Hello, Bunny, a Rakasu is made as part of the Jukai ceremony. You can read all about it in the Precepts Study & Sewing Forum where you found Taigu's instructions for sewing a Rakusu. It's going on right now. I participated last year and sewed a Rakusu, having NEVER sewed before! Now I've started on a Kesa which is a bigger challenge....
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

I somehow found the videos but skipped the post with all the Jukai info. That answered all my questions and then some! I will plan on participating in the next one. In the mean time I will hang around and learn what I can about the precepts, etc. Thank you for patiently explaining to me.
    Gassho
    Bunny

Bunny, it may not be too late--just ask Jundo or Taigu. If you're already a seamstress, you've got a BIG head start on many of us!!!
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Bunny,

Even if you don't sew a rakusu, this might appeal:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...Sewing-Pattern

Gassho
    Andy

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful suggestions! I think I will wait and sew rakusu with the group next time around. It won't hurt for me to practice a little patience. Karasu-I saw that thread. Looks like a fun pattern! I actually just ordered a kimono style jacket sewing pattern from Simplicity. It's not anything "officially zen" which is fine for me. I don't really feel the need to wear anything other than my day to day clothes when I sit. However if I sit with the group via video...I think it would be good to have a dark/neutral colored light weight "jacket" to throw on over whatever I'm wearing. Here's the pattern I ordered:
    http://www.simplicity.com/p-2111-mis...o-and-bag.aspx I'm looking forward to making it!

That looks like a great pattern, Bunny. Do post pictures when you make it. Presumably you are going to use a machine rather than hand sew?

I just hand stitched a zafu using the link you provided and it turned out okay. Will post on the zafu thread. Zen crafters a-go-go!

Gassho
    Andy

Zen crafters a-go-go indeed!That's awesome Andy! Can't wait to see the pics of your zafu. (If I should happen to miss it, please remind me that you've put up the pics!) Yes, I'm going to use a machine. I enjoy hand sewing too, but since I have limited time when I'm well enough to do things I tend to choose the option that produces a finished product soonest. Looking forward to doing hand sewing for the rakusu though! I will definitely post pics of the jacket whenever I finish it.

Gassho
    Bunny