Thread: Oct 4th/5th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! - Marking Global Days of Service

Oct 4th/5th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! - Marking Global Days of Service

Todays Zazenkai marks the start of our GLOBAL DAYS of SERVICE period, October 5-19th!
    More information here:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ober-5-19-2013

Readings for today's Dharma Talk are below in this thread.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

READINGS FOR TODAY'S DHARMA TALK:

From Giving in the Pali Canon by Lily de Silva
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a.../wheel367.html

Giving is of prime importance in the Buddhist scheme of mental purification because it is the best weapon against greed (lobha), the first of the three unwholesome motivational roots (akusalamula). Greed is wrapt up with egoism and selfishness, since we hold our personalities and our possessions as "I" and "mine". Giving helps make egoism thaw: it is the antidote to cure the illness of egoism and greed. "Overcome the taint of greed and practice giving," exhorts the Devatasamyutta (S.i,18). …

Practically anything useful can be given as a gift. The Niddesa (ND.2, 523) gives a list of fourteen items that are fit to be given for charity. They are robes, almsfood, dwelling places, medicine and other requisites for the sick, food, drink, cloths … It is not necessary to have much to practice generosity, for one can give according to one's means. Gifts given from one's meager resources are considered very valuable.

But it is maintained in the suttas (A.iv,62) that alms should be given without any expectations (na sapekho danam deti). Nor should alms be given with attachment to the recipient. If one gives with the idea of accumulating things for later use, that is an inferior act of giving. If one gives with the hope of enjoying the result thereof after death, that is also an inferior act of giving. The only valid motive for giving should be the motive of adorning the mind, to rid the mind of the ugliness of greed and selfishness.

=================================================

From No Time to Lose, by Pema Chödrön

According to the teachings, there are three types of generosity, three ways of helping others by giving of ourselves.

The first kind of generosity is the giving of material things, such as food and shelter.

The second is "giving the gift of fearlessness." We help those who are afraid. If someone is scared of the dark, we give them a flashlight; if they're going through a fearful time, we comfort them; if they're having night terrors, we sleep next to them. This may sound easy, but it takes time and effort and care.

The third kind of generosity drives away the darkness of ignorance. This is "the gift of dharma" and is considered the most profound. Although no one can eliminate our ignorance but ourselves, nevertheless, through example and through teachings, we can inspire and support one another.

A koan appearing in both the “Daishugyo” and “Kannon” fascicles of Shobogenzo, Case 89 in the Blue Cliff Record and Case 54 in the Book of Serenity:

Great Master Ungan Muju asks Great Master Shūitsu of Dōgozan,“What does the Bodhisattva of Great Compassion [Kannon] do by using his limitlessly abundant hands and eyes?”

Dōgo says, “He is like a person in the night reaching back with a hand to grope for a pillow.”

Ungan says, “I understand. I understand.”

Dōgo says, “How do you understand?”

Ungan says, “The whole body is hands and eyes.”

Dōgo says, “Your words are nicely spoken. At the same time, yourexpression of the truth is just eighty or ninety percent of realization.”

Ungan says, “I am just like this. How about you, brother?”

Dōgo says, “The thoroughly realized body is hands and eyes.”

From Shobogenzo “Bodaisatta-Shishobo”:

Beneficial action is skillfully to benefit all classes of sentient beings, that is, to care about their distant and near future, and to help them by using skillful means. In ancient times, someone helped a caged tortoise; another took care of an injured sparrow. They did not expect a reward; they were moved to do so only for the sake of beneficial action. Foolish people think that if they help others first, their own benefit will be lost; but this is not so. Beneficial action is an act of oneness, benefiting self and others together.

From Shobogenzo-Zuimonki Book 2-2:

[According to Ejo] Dogen said, “When Eisai, the late Bishop, was abbot of the Kennin Monastery, a man came and said, ‘My family is very poor. We haven’t eaten for several days. The three of us—my wife, my son, and I—are starving to death. Please show your compassion and help us.’ At that time there was no clothing, food, or money in the monastery. Eisai could find no way to help. But he remembered the copper sheet intended for the halo of the Medicine Buddha figure. He got this out, broke off a portion of it, crushed it together, and gave it to the poor man, saying, ‘Please exchange this for food and satisfy your hunger.’ The man departed overjoyed.

The students were upset and said, ‘That copper was for the radiance of the Medicine Buddha’s image. Is it not a crime to give such sacred material to a layperson?’

“Eisai said, ‘yes, it is a crime. But think of the Buddha’s intention. He gave up his own flesh and bones and offered them to sentient beings. We would honor the Buddha’s intention even if we were to give the entire body of the Medicine Buddha to those who are starving now. We may fall into hell for this act. Still we should continue to save people from starvation.’

“Students nowadays should reflect on the great heart of our guiding master. Don’t forget this
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-04-2013 at 05:33 AM.

I'll be there live!

Thank you for the readings.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Will sit over the weekend. Have a good Zazenkai tonight.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 10-04-2013 at 05:53 PM.

I'll be here.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I will also be there live.

Gassho,
    William
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Mp
    I too will be there live.

Gassho
    Shingen

Will probably have to sit this over a couple of days due to sickly children.

Gassho
    Matt

Yugen
    I will be there!

Gassho
    Yugen

There here there. . . .

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I will have to sit with recorded version.

Matt, I hope your kids feel better soon!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

I'll be sitting Sunday.

Gassho, Bill

That was awesome...thank you all sitters... have a great weekend

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thanks to all who sat or will sit. Nice to see everyone. Gassho, William
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone ... that was a inspiring talk on Kannon and the Global Day of Service. Have a wonderful weekend.

Gassho
    Shingen

Great talk Jundo and thank you for enduring poor health to teach and serve us, much Metta to you.

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I tried to sit this one "live", but my Internet connection got worse and worse and I gave up on the last few minutes. Sorry for popping in and out (I don't know if that made noises or not).

Thank you all for your practice.

Gassho x3,
    Eric

I was there.
    I don't feel so bad now because I missed Oktoberfest!
    Gassho!
    Jon T

Quote Originally Posted by Ctenny View Post
    I tried to sit this one "live", but my Internet connection got worse and worse and I gave up on the last few minutes. Sorry for popping in and out (I don't know if that made noises or not).

Thank you all for your practice.

Gassho x3,
    Eric
    Not too bad Eric, no more than a cough in the room disturbs. Don't worry about it so much, because we all sit with the sneezes and shuffles in the room as "just what is".

In fact, the sometime "ping" reminds me of Thich Nhat Hanh's wonderful little Practice during his talks of ringing a little bell every few minutes just to remind folks to come back to the moment.

Here is the podcast I mentioned after our Metta Chant on the father who forgave his daughter's killer. Very painful to hear at some points in the story ... (it starts from the 44:00 mark here) ...

http://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/317421

Gassho, J

Sit with you all Sunday. Thank you for everyone's practice.
    Gassho
    C

Mp
    Thank you Jundo for the podcast ... I will listen to it in the morning.

Gassho
    Shingen

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Not too bad Eric, no more than a cough in the room disturbs. Don't worry about it so much, because we all sit with the sneezes and shuffles in the room as "just what is".

In fact, the sometime "ping" reminds me of Thich Nhat Hanh's wonderful little Practice during his talks of ringing a little bell every few minutes just to remind folks to come back to the moment.

Here is the podcast I mentioned after our Metta Chant on the father who forgave his daughter's killer. Very painful to hear at some points in the story ... (it starts from the 44:00 mark here) ...

http://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/317421

Gassho, J
    Thank you Jundo. I like the thought of being Thay's bell instead of just a nuisance ("not two" I guess).

I just finished that Radiolab this past week. A difficult and instructive episode.

Deep gassho,
    Eric

Thank you one and all.

Forgiving him is forgiving you is forgiving me is forgiving.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you Jundo for zazenkai and for conducting to so smoothly despite your cold I hope it gets better soon ( if you had worn your speedos you would have ended up with pneumonia. Thanks also to Dosho & all for the great questions and great answers. Thanks to all who sat & will sit.

Gassho

David

Thank you all who sat and will sit.

Jundo, the talk was really meaningful. Thank you. Hope that cold goes away soon.

I'll listen to the podcast tomorrow while taking a walk.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Wonderful and inspiring.
    Thank you.
    Myozan

Wisdom is empty without compassion.
    Great compassion begins at home with ourselves.
    Sitting wholeheartedly, not wasting too much time on the cushion, is self-compassion dana.
    Then we can be just there for others in compassionate presence, seeing things just as they are.
    In gratitude to all here for your practice.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

In a compassionate act to my flu-ridden self I retired to my bed after the inspiring talk on Dana and giving. Thank you Jundo and Gassho to all those sitting all or part of this zazenkai. Ugh!
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Danka All for that wonderful Zazenkai. Thank you Jundo, Dosho, all who sat and will sit. Thank you Jundo's cat, Shingen's dog, and my cat who also joined us.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisoku View Post
    In a compassionate act to my flu-ridden self I retired to my bed after the inspiring talk on Dana and giving. Thank you Jundo and Gassho to all those sitting all or part of this zazenkai. Ugh!
    Be well, Heisoku.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Danka All for that wonderful Zazenkai. Thank you Jundo, Dosho, all who sat and will sit. Thank you Jundo's cat, Shingen's dog, and my cat who also joined us.

Thanks Clark ... Bodhi seems to be getting very smart and he is starting to time these Zazenkais ... knows when to get up for scratches.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Jundo, That "pinko commie" comment made me laugh really hard!

Gassho, Jeffrey
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

What a great Oktoberfest-Zazenkai!
    This was not imperfectly perfect, but perfectly perfect up to and including the final "Auf Wiedersehen".
    Very good Dharma talk as always, truly inspiring!

Thanks for your practice!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Great talk, great questions, great sit!

Thank you all.

Gassho
    Andy

I haven't been able to sit yet. Dads taxi service has been in full swing this weekend. I should be sitting tonight, though I may have to break it into two portions.

Thank you Jundo, thank you all for this practice
    Gassho
    Gi Shu George.
    Gi Shu -George

Hello all,

A wonderful talk on dana! Jundo and Heisoku, I hope you are both feeling better. It was wonderful to sit with you all. Very nice job Dosho!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Thank you Jundo for your wonderful teaching; Dosho for the chanting, your practice is showing perfection; Shingen, Kyonin and Dosho for the great questions and all else who sat or will sit.
    gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo and all. I enjoyed the Q&A.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Gassho and thank you everyone,
    and a special thanks to Dosho for bringing up the question of "giving to the point where it hurts" in relation to our families,
    Myoku