Thread: Japanese Samue Sewing Pattern

Japanese Samue Sewing Pattern

Here's a link to the ONLY place I've been able to find a pattern for a samue set. For anyone interested in comfortable practice clothing, samues are the sh*t. Unfortunately to buy a samue set pre made is prohibitively expensive. So if anyone is talented with stitchery here you go. I'm planning on making one in black for myself.

http://www.fabrictales.com/STORE/sto...es=0&lastmenu=

Gassho, Jeffrey
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Way cool! I would love to hear how you like the pattern,your experience with it. Do you speak/read Japanese? I am curious how easy (or not) it would be for an English speaker to follow.
    Gassho

Let me just offer one comment. I also love to wear Samue sometimes as they are very VERY comfortable. (And, anyway, I live in Japan).

However, such clothing is not needed for "Zen" at all. (It is also not not needed).

In this Sangha, we hold the Kesa as precious, enveloping the whole universe and the Buddha's teachings. In my view, the Rakusu/Kesa is ordinary cloth that, when the heart feels so, embodies Great Teachings and Sacred Meanings (Really, for me ... and I know Taigu might say it otherwise ... it is not so unlike how Christians might take two ordinary pieces of wood, glue them together, and symbolically encounter in their hearts and merge into Great Teachings, a Whole Universe of Sacred Meaning in the result).

But the rest of the Chinese/Japanese look ... well, good to dress that way if an ancient Chinese Mandarin or Japanese Samurai I suppose. Otherwise, a little silly.

Some folks like to sit Zazen wearing some "lay Zen robes" or other special clothing ...

... just like making a special sacred space in our homes where we sit Zazen helps us to realize some sacred moment and to step back from the dusty day-to-day world a bit. I think it a good thing if it helps someone get into the mood, but also completely unnecessary. So, I put on special robes for our Sangha Zazenkai each month simply to be respectful of History and Tradition at such times. Nothing wrong with sitting that way, and please do if it helps you touch the Sacred and Special. But I simultaneously believe (Zen let's us see things in many ways!) that we can sit anywhere, that all of life is sacred when tasted as such ... that the most ordinary is special ... that there is no sacred space left out, and nothing that need be worn. So, while there will be time for our robes ... I also believe in something that my teacher, Nishijima Roshi, used to allow ... and we can also sometimes sit in t-shirts and short pants in the Zendo, with maybe just a Rakusu if you have one.

He sat like this quite often ...

Don't exclude one way or the other, so long as all is held as sacred!

We do tend to emphasize loose fitting, comfortable, not distractingly colored or brightly patterned clothing for practical reasons. We avoid jeans, for example, as they tend to constrict. Also, nothing too sexy and revealing so as not to distract the other sitters! In Japan and many Western Sangha, short pants are considered impolite if sitting with other people, and I do not do so when sitting with other groups, although I often wear them on my own. Most days, when sitting at home, I wear shorts with t-shirt and Rakusu, or whatever I happen to be wearing.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

A good time to mention these guys again ...

I recommend that you should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. Once I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida (I just missed the opportunity, would do it next time). I think they put towels on top of the Zafus. :

Skyclad Zendo

Follow teachings of Toni Packer and Springwater Center. The Skyclad Zendo is a naturist Zen meditation group which follows a non-traditional approach of open inquiry through awareness, mindfulness and attention. We meet every Sunday morning for two hours of zazen au naturel, from 10 A.M. to noon in the yoga room at Paradise Lakes Resort, 2001 Brinson Rd., Lutz, FL 33558-8367. We also offer seven-day silent meditation retreats with various teachers.
    Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2013 at 04:27 AM.

By the way, Nishijima Roshi sometimes dresses like this too. It depends on the situation I suppose ...

Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Hi Jundo,

I just love that picture of Nishijima Roshi sitting in plain clothes except for the Okesa. In the video made by Gustav it is even more visible how Roshi just sits down without much ado. Naturally as if having tea. No pomp, circumstance or ceremony, just sit. To me that our practice. Separating sitting from all the other practice during the day has some merit I guess? An old Kendo Keikogi ( kind of kimono jacket) will do just fine for me, more because it does not tie at the waist. Dressing up, depending on appearances or trying to make the perfect "zen picture" is just another attachment I think? For teachers and Roshi's that may be a bit different since they have a function in the public's eye and tradition to guard and keep. For us simple slackers there is no real need for dress up (so happy about that ) Just work hard at it and sit up straight, right?

Could use a Koromo for when I start Takuhatsu though. Anyone up for it?

Just my opinion, immature as always

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

I recommend that you should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. Once I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida (I just missed the opportunity, would do it next time). I think they put towels on top of the Zafus. :

Gassho, Jundo

Another T-shirt in the making! Hahahahhahahahahahh! Precious!

E.
    Mu

Good luck with the sewing.

I like to wear samue at home because, as Jundo says, they are VERY very comfortable. Also, I want to save my other cloths, as my kids tend to throw food at me, spill drinks on me, pee on me, etc! I don't wear them as outside cloths, however, as I don't live in a place where that just wouldn't be wierd.

Otherwise, I dress respectfully for work, with a shirt and sometimes suit, depending on if I have a visiting speaker in for the students.

And with the sitting group at college, I wear my work cloths with my Kesa over them (much like Nishijima above).

However, i wear the full, formal robes whenever involved in priestly activity, zazenkai, services and the like.

Otherwise it's jeans, etc ... though rarely just a t-shirt ... it's not often warm enough for that here.

I look forward to seeing your finished samue.

Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 10-01-2013 at 07:54 AM.

I really appreciate what you write in this thread Jundo. Sitting with no clothes feel as close - as close - can be to Zen

I don't gravitate to wearing robes at all - and whilst respecting the tradition of this - it goes against a principle for me. I feel getting in the mood is a state of mind and totally non-dependent on any kind of clothing. I'm cautious around clothing that designates hierarchy because I feel trust and respect needs to be earnt and not assumed. One's outer garments are no indication of what is in the heart and sadly the principle of trust we attach to certain forms of dress (clergy, doctors, police, politicians, teachers, etc) doesn't signify.

I do understand the sacred nature of the Kesa and probably shouldn't comment not having sewn one yet. But I think, when I do, the meaning will be in the act of sewing and I won't want to wear the kesa when sitting. I could no doubt be wrong.

Most of all, I feel a 'uniform' of any kind has the potential to create difference and distance - as well as unity.

It's a fine line.

Gassho

Willow
    Last edited by Jinyo; 10-01-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Hi Willow,

Interesting post.

Is it not the case also that not dressing in a certain way in certain contexts shows disrespect?

For example, showing up at a funeral or wedding wearing shorts and a t-shirt?

Also, when walking the corridors of a hospital looking for help, it's nice to be able to recognise who's who.

Context appears to be very important here, rather then some general rule.

Gassho
    Myozan

Mp
    Thanks for the post Jeffrey ... I am like Jundo and Myozan where I like to hang around the house in my Samue - super comfy. This is the one that I wear and found it to be a reasonable price http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=271206918682.

Gassho
    Shingen

I do sit in lay robes frequently - not for special occasion but most days I guess it has come from sitting on my own for years with no sangha or group where some inspiration and routine was necessary to sustain practicing alone with no support & then later with groups that do wear lay robes. I see nothing 'unusual' with it - what & why make a distinction between robes and shorts and tee shirts does one feel less formal in one than in the other? Is it "cool" to be dressed in one way and not another? I can be making a statement it seems what ever I wear, " look at me I don't have to be formal" or " look at me I have to be formal" To be honest I don't think about it I guess what ever helps you practice - it's all concepts any way is it not? And I like Japhy Ryder's (Gary Snyder's) dictum when he says " All comparisons are odious" The trouble with positions of course is that one has to take one. And if one says " but I have no position" point out that, that is also a position!
    I will continue to wear me lay robe to practice & when take Tokudo I will wear a Koromo to practice. And if it doesn't fit a particular dress code or someone's idea of what goes then I am sorry but Thank You ("is that so")

With deep bows

David
    Last edited by Taikyo; 10-01-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Yes, David, I would say that we are not attached to the robes ... and not even attached to not not being attached ...

Please wear them well should such strike your heart.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Hi Myozan,

Out of curiosity, did you purchase your samue in Europe some place, if so where?

Thanks & Gassho,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    Good luck with the sewing.

I like to wear samue at home because, as Jundo says, they are VERY very comfortable. Also, I want to save my other cloths, as my kids tend to throw food at me, spill drinks on me, pee on me, etc! I don't wear them as outside cloths, however, as I don't live in a place where that just wouldn't be wierd.

Otherwise, I dress respectfully for work, with a shirt and sometimes suit, depending on if I have a visiting speaker in for the students.

And with the sitting group at college, I wear my work cloths with my Kesa over them (much like Nishijima above).

However, i wear the full, formal robes whenever involved in priestly activity, zazenkai, services and the like.

Otherwise it's jeans, etc ... though rarely just a t-shirt ... it's not often warm enough for that here.

I look forward to seeing your finished samue.

Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you Myozan. Did not think to look there.

Gassho
    Matt

J
    Yes ~ both A ^ ~~A

Gassho

d.

Hi Willow,

Interesting post.

Is it not the case also that not dressing in a certain way in certain contexts shows disrespect?

For example, showing up at a funeral or wedding wearing shorts and a t-shirt?

Also, when walking the corridors of a hospital looking for help, it's nice to be able to recognise who's who.

Context appears to be very important here, rather then some general rule.

Gassho
    Myozan
    Hello Myozan - apologies if it came across that I'm suggesting a general rule. Context is - as you say important - and sometimes it's crucial to be able to recognise who's who.

My feeling about this is subjective - could no doubt change - but the post prompted me to ask myself the question 'does it strike a chord in my heart to wear a robe' and the answer came back as 'no'.

When I ask myself why 'no' - the reasons felt deep seated.

It's hard to explain but I probably need to look at being 'attached to being non-attached.'

Anyway - apologies again if I came across as judgemental

Willow
    Last edited by Jinyo; 10-01-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Hi Willow,
    I think in the context of a Zendo, robes are not some big statement. On the beach, no one bats a eyelid if you wear swimming togs. But robes on the beach and swimming togs in the Zendo... Well.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Another alternative are hospital scrubs. They come in colors, fit loosely and won't break the bank. In fact, my favorite thrift store has them for 4 bucks. My usual sitting attire is a baggy t shirt, shorts and Rakusu.
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisho View Post
    Another alternative are hospital scrubs. They come in colors, fit loosely and won't break the bank. In fact, my favorite thrift store has them for 4 bucks. My usual sitting attire is a baggy t shirt, shorts and Rakusu.
    That is a great idea Daisho and would be easy to dye if you wanted then black or blue.

Plus it would be cool to say, "got to get to the zafu, STAT"!!!

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi Willow,
    I think in the context of a Zendo, robes are not some big statement. On the beach, no one bats a eyelid if you wear swimming togs. But robes on the beach and swimming togs in the Zendo... Well.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Well, I have worn my robes on a beach. So, someday soon I will wear my swimming togs in the Zendo. Gee, one could also wear a space suit or diapers or a football helmet. No problem.

Gassho, J

I know all the Asian trappings aren't necessary but I love to create things, it's one of my passions. And I want to have something for retreat. I was a student of the western esoteric tradition for many years and I tend to find that when I don a specific "special" outfit for my practice it adds a special something that tells my subconscious that I am stepping out of everyday life and into the sacred. And I simply enjoy challenging myself. I'm pretty good with my sewing machine if I do say so myself. Have made a lot of my own clothes for years.

Gassho, Jeffrey
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Jundo,

Maybe we should do a `let´s go to the beach zazenkai´sometime? Like when we did the `Harlem shake`thing. Not to mock or make fun of anything or anyone but to practice some detachment and keep a healthy sense of `lightness´ in what we do. Just a thought .

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

Spare us the swim suit, Jundo, and I'll reciprocate by not wearing my Speedos ;-)
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 10-02-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Well, I have worn my robes on a beach. So, someday soon I will wear my swimming togs in the Zendo. Gee, one could also wear a space suit or diapers or a football helmet. No problem.

Gassho, J
    ..... and there was that priceless sit along video with a shower cap if my memory serves me right ?

Gassho

Willow

When its cold, a sitting robe helps.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Not sure if I'd ever attempt to sew my own. I still have four sets left from Japan. The fifth got sewn into my first Rakusu
    I certainly am thankful for them during the cool winter evenings. One set is of particularly good qualitym was a gift and, I save that one for winter zazen.

gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    When its cold, a sitting robe helps.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    So would a space suit or just a sweater.

So would a space suit or just a sweater.
    Yah, but they don't provide the tent effect.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

I think sometimes I'm going to start dressing as a woman.

I think sometimes I'm going to start dressing as a woman.
    Of course you can.

We have several members of this Sangha who are transgender or cross-dressing, by the way. It makes no difference.

Avoid bright colors and patterns, and wear loose fitting clothers.

Gassho, J

Hi,
    My point is how one dresses is a matter of personal choice. It does not matter. I do not intend to offend my transgender brothers and sisters. My apologies if my comment can be misread as intolerant. It is meant, rather, to support personal choice in these matters.
    Deep bows,
    Myozan

I sometimes sit with my Luchador mask.

IMG0167A.jpg

Not really. But would be fun.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post

IMG0167A.jpg

Gassho,

Kyonin
    That and Jundos speedo makes for a awesome outfit!

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post

IMG0167A.jpg

Gassho,

Kyonin
    OMG this mask is scary! Hahahaha
    Gassho, Jeffrey

Of course you can.

We have several members of this Sangha who are transgender or cross-dressing, by the way. It makes no difference.

Avoid bright colors and patterns, and wear loose fitting clothers.

Gassho, J

I love Tree Leaf more and more each day. Some of the finest people I've had the good fortune to know have been trans.

Gassho, Jeffrey

Thrifting Score!

I found a nice almost new Gi today whilst out thrifting. It was on the Halloween rack and fits me perfectly. $3 well spent.
    Gassho, Jeffrey

CYMERA_20131002_192821.jpg

Hello,

I agree with everyone . In fact it is important to have a clothing to practice the way ... but it is also important not to have specific clothing

Until now I did not even have rakusu, but I'm sewing a kesa five bands in Nyohoe tradition, that I will wear on European clothing as Gudo Nishijima on the picture.
    In my case, my wife sewed me a clothing resembling samue, which is very comfortable to sit. I use it, but not every time, otherwise I'm usually in jeans and shirt.

Just like to practice zazen, if we have a special place it's good, if we just practice next to (or in) the toilet it's good too.
    I practice zazen in a special room at home, but also in the hotel room when I'm traveling, and last week in a train station, in front of an advertising board.

I wish everyone a deep practice, with or without traditional clothing.

Gasshô
    Anshu - Henri
    Last edited by Anshu; 10-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Le secret consiste donc seulement à dire "OUI" et à se jeter dans le vide. Dès lors, il n'y a plus de problème. Il s'agit d'être soi-même dans l'instant présent, toujours soi-même, sans s'accrocher à son vieux moi.
    Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Anshu View Post

Just like to practice zazen, if we have a special place it's good, if we just practice next to (or in) the toilet it's good too.
    I practice zazen in a special room at home, but also in the hotel room when I'm traveling, and last week in a train station, in front of an advertising board.
    Lovely Anshu. All such places are the Pure Land when perceived as such.

Gassho, J

Gassho, Jundo

JAJAJAJAJAJAAJJ ! loved the image! I had a Tai Chi teacher who worked at the "Centro Budista de la Ciudad de México/Mexico City Buddhist Center" and when we made an appointment there he said: Te veo en el centro nudista / See you at the nuddist center. It was always hilarious to hear that and to see people´s reaction.

And in a more serious tone I agree with: Use clothes, not to have fixed ideas on to what to wear when doing zazen and avoid difficult clothing ( spike boots, chains and tight jeans make sitting quite a challenge...I´ve tried) But it would be fun if we all wear Luchador mask´s as Kyonin for a Zazenkai. XD

Gassho

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

I have a couple of samue (one bought in Japantown San Francisco, just as a reference of where they might be available) and find them very comfortable and appropriate to wear for zazen, for kitchen work (with an apron) and housework. I have yet to wear them for yard work. I have had interest in the past about clothing that fits the design paradigm of "form follows function". Have never believed much in suffering-for-your-fashion. And some of us, including me in past behaviors, should be-aware of whether we are motivated by less wholesome issues such as "being different than everyone.....hey look at me....I'm doing special practice".

I also bought a pattern for samue at a fabric store in Tokyo (all fabric stores in Japan seem to sell patterns for samue). So once I get a chance to take a look at it (with the aid of my very technically adept seamstress spouse) I can share thoughts on how the pattern helped.

I think that one can dress like Bozo the Clown if the heart is sincere. Much better than dressing like the High Grand Monk of Kyoto if one's heart is insincere or "look at me".

Today's "Beach Party Bingo" Zazenkai was about that. Very comfortable clothes too, although one must put the ants crawling up the leg out of mind. Most don't bite ... they crawl up, they eventually crawl back down.

I think it okay to sit Zazen naked too. Maybe someday soon.

Gassho, J

I think that one can dress like Bozo the Clown if the heart is sincere.
    And sometimes I do! I've always been a "colorful" dresser. Haha

Gassho, Jeffrey