Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treeleaf Global Service Days: October 5-19 2013

Blog Entries

Treeleaf Global Service Days: October 5-19 2013

Our next Global Days of Service period is upon us October 5-19 2013!

There is someone out there who is homeless or alone and would like to share a meal with you
    There is a child who would like to share a book
    Don't forget that someone's grandparent likes books too
    Or even the silence of companionship in the twilight

There is a tree that needs planting
    or nourishing;
    Wind-strewn nest looking for a branch

A shoreline that needs to be unburdened of what the ocean has cast upon it
    A line of dunes that need to be anchored

A trail in need of care
    Street in need of sweeping
    Playground in need of children
    Swings silently asking "fly with me"

Illness and suffering to be witnessed;
    Loneliness paired with companions
    A lonely voice in need of a friendly presence

You and I have what we need. Share it. We will all be here; practicing together.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Hi Yugen,

Here is my usual message to kick off our Day of Service. This time, I am planning to accompany a group of disabled children on an all day bus and boat trip.

-------------------------------

--- We ask everyone to undertake a project where they are actually out helping "hands on" folks in need, not merely writing a check (although you can do so in addition). So, if there is some physical activity in your town or community you can undertake that day ... from planting a garden in an abandoned field, to working in a soup kitchen, to visiting the elderly at an old age home, to running a race for cancer prevention ... please do so. HANDS ON, and the dirtier the better!

--- For folks with physical restrictions due to disability or age, there have even been many ideas in the past that folks can do right from home or online. Please check our previous Days of Service for project ideas.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...Global-Service

--- For our busy fathers and mothers, this can be turned into a family activity ... bring the kids and make it a memorable day and a time of sharing, learning some important lessons.

--- For folks who are already volunteering in their communities, it is fine to include and re-dedicate that existing activity to our Global Day of Service if you do not have time to take on an additional activity.

--- We ask all our members to work for the benefit of other Sentient Beings, in a spirit of giving. It is not about you or us.

--- We encourage everyone to discuss their projects in this thread as a way to "share ideas for projects", inspire others and build a sense that we are doing this as a community. So, we encourage you to discuss what you are doing. However, (1) even if you write here about your projects, remember that it is not "about us" or taking any credit, or (2) if you truly wish to remain semi-anonymous, feel free to send an email to Jundo and I will repost it here without using your name (you can even send an anonymous email if you wish! ). So, please post here your ideas and plans for projects, and stories about "how it went", so that we can all share as a Sangha in the experience.

--- We do have a blog where we collect these projects designed by Kyonin (what is the link?), where we may repost some of these stories in order to inspire others, but only after removing most names.

One final word ...

At this time, we do not accept donations for being part of Treeleaf. THIS is the current donation! (What, you thought Treeleaf was free? It is freeing ... but not free!). I cannot say in stronger terms how much we all hope, depend on and expect everyone who is partaking of this community ... from our newest folks to our old hands and priests ... to join in this effort. It is really not optional, for it is our Practice here ... as much as sitting Zazen or any chanted words to save the "Sentient Beings". It is expected of those who wish to be part of and partake of this Treeleaf community, our request that you give back for what you receive in this way, the bill for any benefit received. EVERYONE is expected to participate in some way (and there is a way for all of us to do so).

THIS is ZAZEN TOO!
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-25-2013 at 03:27 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

Blog Entries
    Jundo, thank you for this message.

Currently I plan the following during this period:

- Deer Isle shore cleanup with Maine Island Trail Association: Sept. 28
    - Muscongus Bay shore cleanup with Maine Island Trail Association: Oct. 5
    - Initiating volunteer relationship with Spindleworks: I will be most likely helping with grant writing and general maintenance.
    Spindleworks is a non profit art center for adults with disabilities, whose mission is to help children and adults with disabilities achieve full and inclusive lives in their chosen community. http://www.spindleworks.org
    - Continue weekly visits/food contributions to Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-23-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Count me in!

This time I'll try to keep it simple.

I'll try to help some people who are struggling with weight and health problems. I'll see if I can motivate them to do something.

Also, I'll keep on doing what I can to send food and resources to the victims of the hurricanes. They are in bad shape.

I'll report how things go.

Thank you Yugen and Jundo!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Please remember I am only a priest in training. I could be wrong in everything I say. Slap me if needed.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Mr. Spock

Volunteering to assist the caretakers of the aged, infirm, ill, developmentally disabled and those withstanding dementia (including Alzheimer's Disease).

Gassho,
    Edward
    Practice with humility, respect all beings, avoid attachments, give rise to prajña from your own awareness, put an end to delusions - Hui-neng

Yes, count me in as well. I have not made my choice for this year, but I do have some ideas. One of them is working my dog Bodhi on the children's ward at St Joe's Hospital - will keep you posted.

Gassho
    Shingen
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

I'm volunteering at the animal shelter.
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Thank you for posting this, Yugen, beautiful words!!

I have a few ideas in mind
    -fill up my birdfeeder and start feeding the birds again (it's getting cold here, they will need food)
    -volunteer at my local animal shelter
    -my elderly neighbour lives by herself and does not drive anymore, I could buy some groceries for her

Thank you all for your great initiatives!

Among other things I'm going to work one full day for free for a person who just started his business and is in a tight spot right now.

Gassho

Enkyo

Hi.

Me and Filur, my son, has already started somewhat on the TGSD, we are picking fruits, apples and what not and distributing them amongst people who don't have that much (very good apple year here..).
    We are also cleaning up the city park, and the nearby little forest near the river that runs by.

I am also doing a public lecture on 2 october where all the money for my payment goes to ankarstiftelsen, a nonprofitorganisation helping out in colombia.

The same goes for the "open conversations" i have on october 9, 16 and 23.

Other than that i just do what i regularly do.

Thank you for your practice.

May the force be with you
    Fugen
    Treeleaf Unsui
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

OH, and not to brag or anything--but I know this is the one place where I can share this and ppl will understand. The caretaker at my children's school caught a mouse yesterday morning. I convinced him to let it go. He walked across the street (to a park) and let the little mouse live. I was **so** happy to see that.

Treena

I often give financial aid to an institution that promotes animal adoption. I intend to act personally as well.

I also plan to hold sessions of reiki to all people in need.

Gassho.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo de Valnisio View Post
    I often give financial aid to an institution that promotes animal adoption. I intend to act personally as well.

I also plan to hold sessions of reiki to all people in need.

Gassho.
    What kind ideas!

HI all I am participating my continuing to do my food donation center in my office ( which has taken on a life of its own), Donating all my coffee money at the end of Ango to local charities ( should be about 300), volunteering with our local cubscout group with my kids all year long as a Den Leader which should involve many community volunteers projects as well, like conservation cleanups, Food drives, Helping out at Salvation Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    OH, and not to brag or anything--but I know this is the one place where I can share this and ppl will understand. The caretaker at my children's school caught a mouse yesterday morning. I convinced him to let it go. He walked across the street (to a park) and let the little mouse live. I was **so** happy to see that.
    My Dad once did that, only to release it and watch it make a beeline back to the road and get run over by a car.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ordained Priest -In-Training & Shuso (Head Seat) for November - Ango 2014
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please take what I say with a grain of salt, especially in matters of the Dharma!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    My Dad once did that, only to release it and watch it make a beeline back to the road and get run over by a car.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ohhh, poor mouse!!! It's gross driving on the highway here in summer, roadkill cafe central.

Gassho,
    Treena

Hey everyone,

I just checked into volunteer information at the local homeless shelter. It's called PADS and they have five different shifts that volunteers can work, and you must go through some training before helping out. It may turn into a consistent endeavor, lasting beyond the Service Days. I'm also going to pick up litter throughout town. I was enjoying a mindful walk the other day and noticed how much trash is laying around in the ditches.

Gassho, John

Hi all, and thank you Yugen.
    Since the IMF came into Ireland (they run the country now), homelessness has gone through the roof in Dublin. My plan is to make some sandwiches and take them around to the guys sleeping rough. Give them something to eat and sit and have a chat with them.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Hi everyone,

I will be carrying on with making bread for the community on Saturdays. My time is quite limited at this time year with start of term & family but I am going to apply to the Angulimala Buddhist Chaplaincy here in the UK (http://angulimala.org.uk/).

Gassho
    David

Hi,

I'm volunteering to help a local Buddhist group tidy a neglected community garden near where I live. I will also donate a bit of cash to MSF.

Gassho
    Matt

I intend to do something with/for the local animal shelter.
    I helped them several years ago and it's time to help them again.

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

I currently work with people with intellectual disabilities. A few people living nearby get very little in way of services. I helped a gentleman today by taking him to sign up for food stamps. Turns out that nobody ever told him it was an option. I plan to do what I can for some of these folks who need a hand. I know one gentleman in particular who eats quite often at the soup kitchen. My wife and I are inviting him over for dinner (I've taken him food and offered to cook for him several times, but he declines it...mainly due to his mental health issues...long story). I am putting extra food out for the critters. We always keep the bird food flowing....but something special for the squirrels might be nice.

Hello,

I have volunteered as a translator for an event with Brad Wanrer that will happen in Bonn in ten days time. I'd much rather just sit there and listen to what he's saying (from my experience with translating one concentrates so hard on the sentences at hand that one doesn't get to really take anything in in the same way as a normal listener), but I know that not everyone has been as privileged as I have been when it comes to living in foreign countries etc. A lot of people feel a bit shy about not being able to understand English properly, so they might just sit there and catch the odd word but wouldn't normally ask for a translation.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    Chudo Mongen, Ordained Novice Priest-in-Training

Now YOU encourage a volunteer to translate so you can listen to B.W.

Win - Win. ^_^

Gassho,
    Edward
    Practice with humility, respect all beings, avoid attachments, give rise to prajña from your own awareness, put an end to delusions - Hui-neng

So inspiring to read this thread. I am also learning about some charities that I didn't know existed.

What I plan to do...
    I aspire to do some charity sewing every month for the next year (starting this month). I plan to pick a different charity every month. Even just the researching part of this goal has been illuminating. There are needs in the world that I had no idea were not being met. Best part is that some of them I can actually help with!! This months charity is Snuggles Project http://www.snugglesproject.org/about/the-project/ I will be making "snuggles" (little blanket/cushion type things for shelter animals). The idea that there are beings in this world that have never felt anything but wire or concrete under their bodies when they sleep-I cry every time I think about it. So, I'm very excited to do this sewing project. I am really looking forward to delivering the "snuggles" and knowing that at least a few animals will have a comfortable (physically and emotionally comfortable) little spot to lay down on. I bought the fabric yesterday and hope to get started over the weekend.

I will also make an extra effort to see if my elderly neighbor/friend who has cancer needs anything (including companionship, love, support,etc).

Almost immediately after writing about my neighbor I got a phone call from her. She wanted to come over and talk about a problem she was having. It was a long day and I was ready for bed but I said "yes". I knew it would be a short visit (which I was capable of) and it would mean a lot to her. Glad I got to make good on that goal right away!

Lots of good ideas, everyone.

I like the story about the mouse Treena. I always rescue little animals/insects if I can.

I don't drive anymore, so volunteering from home is a good option for me. For quite awhile now I've been helping the doctors at Oxford count cancer cells ONL at Zooniverse.org. Anyone can do it, there's a tutorial, and we'll be helping find a cure for breast cancer. I've been working at this for quite awhile but for the days of service I've promised to do a few more slides & do it daily instead of a few times a week. (Zooniverse is a great site with many different options for volunteer work, so check it out.)

I'll also be knitting some warm scarves to donate to our local Senior Center.
    Metta to everyone. You are an inspiration!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I got the idea for volunteering at "Zooniverse" from someone here at Treeleaf, I think it was last year.
    I am also sending a contribution to S.N.A.P., our local low-cost spay & neuter program, today!
    Last edited by glow; 10-05-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Global Day of Service! I am very pleased, humbled, and inspired by all of your projects and ideas.

The notion of all of us practicing together across geography and time is very powerful. People may wonder why service is such an important aspect of our practice at Treeleaf, and I'd like to share with you my view (and my view alone as a novice priest) as a way of kicking off our service period this month.

Shikantaza is the primary method of direct experience in Soto Zen - and this indeed is the basis of our practice. Living in the moment, and completely consuming ourselves in whatever activity we are performing - zazen, kinhin, eating, chanting, cleaning the toilet, reading to our children, bathing - these are all opportunities for practice. The act of completely absorbing oneself in zazen or cleaning the toilet or eating can itself be said to be an act of direct experience and compassion. Many practitioners however, do not wander far from the cushion or the oryoki set..... that is OK, everyone has their practice. The notion of social engagement in Buddhism is a relatively new concept, and even threatening to some.

In our Sangha we encourage everyone to take the expression of compassion a little further, 'beyond the zafu' so to speak. It is very true that one must develop compassion for oneself before one can extend compassion to others, and training in single minded focus upon current action (through zazen, kinhin, etc.) is a way to relieve suffering caused by grasping, distraction, anxiety, and other mind phenomena. But as Mahayana Buddhists, extending our actions for the benefit of others is an expression of our interdependence, our lack of separate existence (much as our egos would disagree), a practical way of closing the gap between self and other - a way to move beyond the theoretical consideration and ontological exercise of nonduality. Practical acts of compassion and service in a world where acts of common identity, fellowship, and humanity are all too lacking is practice in action.

This does not mean that we can save everyone, nor that we should try to. Zen stresses that each of us is responsible for our own practice. We should not be relieving anyone of responsibility for themselves, or their own decisions. But a helping hand, a compassionate smile or warm embrace can ease someone's isolation and suffering. This is an extension of our direct experience - the lack of any distinction or separation between ourselves and others. Cleaning a toilet during work period in a zendo or at home is a wonderful exercise in direct experience - you are not cleaning the toilet because it needs to be cleaned, not are you the one who is cleaning the toilet. Who is cleaning the toilet? There is no separation between you and your experience of cleaning. You just do it. Likewise, in serving others, in sharing a meal with a homeless person, or a book with a child, or cleaning a park, there is no gap between giving and receiving. There is no separation between the person you are smiling at the and person who receives the smile. In that direct experience there is no self and other, no subject and no object. Everything is whole. So after awhile and a little practice you can see that sitting on the zafu and performing service in the community are both acts of direct experience, and therefore, Zen practice.

That is why we ask these annoying questions in the PPE for this week about discomfort and suffering - I squirm all the time when I see people suffer. I don't like it (I am uncomfortable). I want to run in the other direction. It is because I still think in terms of self and other (ask myself "who is there to be uncomfortable?"). When I see someone's pain as my own, there is nothing to run from.

When you are ready, go out and practice. Life is too short, time is too short to waste. Thank you all for your inspirational ideas and actions.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 10-06-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Welcome to Global Day of Service! I am very pleased, humbled, and inspired by all of your projects and ideas.

The notion of all of us practicing together across geography and time is very powerful. People may wonder why service is such an important aspect of our practice at Treeleaf, and I'd like to share with you my view (and my view alone as a novice priest) as a way of kicking off our service period this month.

Shikantaza is the primary method of direct experience in Soto Zen - and this indeed is the basis of our practice. Living in the moment, and completely consuming ourselves in whatever activity we are performing - zazen, kinhin, eating, chanting, cleaning the toilet, reading to our children, bathing - these are all opportunities for practice. The act of completely absorbing oneself in zazen or cleaning the toilet or eating can itself be said to be an act of direct experience and compassion. Many practitioners however, do not wander far from the cushion or the oryoki set..... that is OK, everyone has their practice. The notion of social engagement in Buddhism is a relatively new concept, and even threatening to some.

In our Sangha we encourage everyone to take the expression of compassion a little further, 'beyond the zafu' so to speak. It is very true that one must develop compassion for oneself before one can extend compassion to others, and training in single minded focus upon current action (through zazen, kinhin, etc.) is a way to relieve suffering caused by grasping, distraction, anxiety, and other mind phenomena. But as Mahayana Buddhists, extending our actions for the benefit of others is an expression of our interdependence, our lack of separate existence (much as our egos would disagree), a practical way of closing the gap between self and other - a way to move beyond the theoretical consideration and ontological exercise of nonduality. Practical acts of compassion and service in a world where acts of common identity, fellowship, and humanity are all too lacking is practice in action.

This does not mean that we can save everyone, nor that we should try to. Zen stresses that each of us is responsible for our own practice. We should not be relieving anyone of responsibility for themselves, or their own decisions. But a helping hand, a compassionate smile or warm embrace can ease someone's isolation and suffering. This is an extension of our direct experience - the lack of any distinction or separation between ourselves and others. Cleaning a toilet during work period in a zendo or at home is a wonderful exercise in direct experience - you are not cleaning the toilet because it needs to be cleaned, not are you the one who is cleaning the toilet. Who is cleaning the toilet? There is no separation between you and your experience of cleaning. You just do it. Likewise, in serving others, in sharing a meal with a homeless person, or a book with a child, or cleaning a park, there is no gap between giving and receiving. There is no separation between the person you are smiling at the and person who receives the smile. In that direct experience there is no self and other, no subject and no object. Everything is whole. So after awhile and a little practice you can see that sitting on the zafu and performing service in the community are both acts of direct experience, and therefore, Zen practice.

That is why we ask these annoying questions in the PPE for this week about discomfort and suffering - I squirm all the time when I see people suffer. I don't like it (I am uncomfortable). I want to run in the other direction. It is because I still think in terms of self and other (ask myself "who is there to be uncomfortable?"). When I see someone's pain as my own, there is nothing to run from.

When you are ready, go out and practice. Life is too short, time is too short to waste. Thank you all for your inspirational ideas and actions.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

This site might be helpful for anyone still looking for opportunities to be of service. It matches volunteers with non profits that need help.
    http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post

Deep bows
    Yugen

You have a way with such wonderful expression, thank you Yugen.

Gassho
    Shingen
    倫道 真現

I have a question.
    Can cleaning my parent´s house (where I also live) be a global service?
    It´s very messy and has been like this for years.
    I will also set up bags and trashcans so we can start recycling things.
    I see it as doing a favor for my parents and me but also spreding out to others in the world; if we live in a clean house we maybe can be of better use for the society and we can invite others to our home without having to think twice.
    Where is the line between doing something for others and doing it for oneself?

Gassho
    Edward

Blog Entries
    Edward,
    I think helping your parents is a wonderful act of love, compassion, and service.

"Where is the line between doing something for others and doing it for oneself?"

I think you gave just answered your own question. When acting out of compassion, there is no line.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the cleaning and recycling project at your home. Creating a welcoming place for others to feel comfortable is a wonderful thing.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by Milarepa View Post
    I have a question.
    I see it as doing a favor for my parents and me but also spreding out to others in the world; if we live in a clean house we maybe can be of better use for the society and we can invite others to our home without having to think twice.

Gassho
    Edward

I have a question.
    Hi.

Yes, of course it can!
    Go do it.

The line between doing it for others, yourself or just doing is in the intention behind the act.
    Ask yourself, for whom, what or why are you doing it?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Treeleaf Unsui
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks Yugen and Fugen for the encouragement.
    Time to get down to it!

Gassho
    Edward

Blog Entries
    Thanks to Kyonin and Yugen we have a dedicated web space that will celebrate the collective contributions of our Global Days of Service Project for posterity. We expect to actively solicit individual stories that epitomize the true meaning of service to our fellow beings (not-two). Please take a moment to check it out at this link and, perhaps bookmark the link for future entries.

http://globalserviceday.org/2013/10/...ring-of-ideas/

thank you and gasssho,
    gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk; go somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.

[QUOTE=Milarepa;111632]I have a question.
    Gassho
    Edward[/QUOTE

This is a wonderful way to be of service! I've known more than one person who did service work outside of home while neglecting the needs of people closest to them. That always struck me as a bit lacking in kindness and compassion. I agree that starting with ourselves and our loved ones...it radiates out from there. For example entering a drug treatment program could be global service (in my view). Getting ourselves happy and healthy means we are bringing more love and kindness into our interactions. I always felt the greatest service I could do for the world is to do Zazen, to work on ending my own suffering. Zazen is not a selfish pursuit,when I do zazen I do it for the sake of all beings. Of course helping others and the world in more literal ways is important too!! I can't always say "Well, I do Zazen-so let someone else help the homeless". Anyway...I am pleased that you and your family will be living in a cleaner, healthier, happier environment.

Best wishes to all.
    With Metta
    Bunny

That is wonderful Shokai! I will definitely participate by writing a blog entry. Don't hesitate to remind me of this commitment when the time nears for submissions.
    Gassho
    Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    This is a wonderful way to be of service! I've known more than one person who did service work outside of home while neglecting the needs of people closest to them. That always struck me as a bit lacking in kindness and compassion. I agree that starting with ourselves and our loved ones...it radiates out from there. For example entering a drug treatment program could be global service (in my view). Getting ourselves happy and healthy means we are bringing more love and kindness into our interactions. I always felt the greatest service I could do for the world is to do Zazen, to work on ending my own suffering. Zazen is not a selfish pursuit,when I do zazen I do it for the sake of all beings. Of course helping others and the world in more literal ways is important too!! I can't always say "Well, I do Zazen-so let someone else help the homeless". Anyway...I am pleased that you and your family will be living in a cleaner, healthier, happier environment.

Best wishes to all.
    With Metta
    Bunny
    Thank you Bunny

Edward

Hello,

I will continue what I'm doing already for some time, that is continue regular letters with a prisoner here in France. For this prisoner it is important to have contact with life outside.

Furthermore I performed with my band for the elders of a town near my home, and within the month we will make a show for the French Telethon.

I will also try to take a bit of my time to simply discuss with homeless that I may encounter in my business trips.

Gasshô

P.S. : Sorry but my english language can be wrong... I hope you understand what i want to say
    Le secret consiste donc seulement à dire "OUI" et à se jeter dans le vide. Dès lors, il n'y a plus de problème. Il s'agit d'être soi-même dans l'instant présent, toujours soi-même, sans s'accrocher à son vieux moi.
    Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

Blog Entries
    Anshu,
    Your English is wonderful - thank you for sharing your activities with us. I can imagine the inmate you are corresponding with appreciates the contact. Can you share a video of your band playing?

Deep bows
    Yugen

Yesterday I gave a talk/ sermon about the White Rose resistance group. They were students who acted against Hitler and the Nazi regime by distributing leaflets and painting slogans on walls. Seven of them were executed, six died in prison and 15 served jail sentences. Most prominent among the group are Hans and Sophie Scholl (siblings); unfortunately, many other members have been half forgotten. It was interesting for me to research the involvement of all of them. The story is very well known in Germany, but not at all here in Canada. I wanted to do this as a service to the dead (70 year anniversary) and my community. People were very grateful and inspired to hear about this courageous group.

With work obligations and my wedding on the 19th October coming up, I fear that I may not be able to contribute a full day. Still thinking about what to do.

On a different note, I came across a website for home based volunteering (this is something I am thinking of participating in). The website is called helpfromhome.org. Not used it yet but it looks pretty good. It has a variety off different volunteering activities that people can do from their own home.

Gassho,

Simon

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward

Hi all!

I started the Global Service Days changing small details in my relationship with my wife, colleagues and neighbors.
    At home I increased my participation in housework and I'm avoiding any topic that generates some irritation on my wife.
    With my neighbors, I'm trying to be warmer. Greeting and smiling sincerely.
    With my colleagues I'm trying to be more friendly and present in their daily difficulties.
    Also, I'm doing a Reiki session every morning to the physical and emotional welfare of all beings.
    Here in my town there is an institution that promotes the adoption of homeless animals. My intention was to join them physically in some work, but at the moment there is no need for more people. Anyway, I'm helping them financially.

Gassho.

Hey everybody,

My brother and I just got done picking up trash along the road. It's about 2 miles one way, took us about 5 hours. The activity was rather calming actually. Also saved a caterpillar who was moving about in the middle of the road. Poor little fella was going to get ran over. Anyway, now we're going to separate the trash and then recycle it. We'll use any money we get back to buy some soup to donate to the local food pantry.

Gassho, John

Hi All

Tomorrow I'm going to have some teambuilding activities with a couple of kids. Tomorrow's keyword is trust and teamwork.
    This youths have had or have problem to get employed or just some trouble in their life because of mental illness or other causes. Usually I charge the community for a day of work, but this time I want to give back to my society. Hopefully I can give this people a great time and something to think about at the same time.
    I'll give a report from the event tomorrow night.

Gassho
    Björn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi all,
    My service this time has changed. I'm going to take down the missing posters for Gerry McCann, my brother's friend. Now that it has ended tragically, we don't want the missing posters all around Dublin ... mainly for the sake of his family who are grieving.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

"Here the way unfolds."

Blog Entries
    _/\_
    gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk; go somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.