Thread: Passion? vs. Passion

Passion? vs. Passion

This is an excerpt from a translation of "The Sutra of 42 Chapters:"

[..]you must not walk on the Way as the ox that is attached to the wheel. His body moves, but his heart is not willing. But when your hearts are in accord with the Way, there is no need of troubling yourselves about your outward demeanor.
    Love this statement; I always thought to myself that nothing is worth doing unless you have the right feeling behind it—a wholeness. This causes me to be confused about giving up passions. Often times I think the "passion" that the sutras speak of is the same as doing something wholly from the heart—as stated in this above excerpt. The thing is, this doing-something-form-the-heart I also call passion. This feeling of passion seems to be the same feeling when I pursue anything in life worth doing—zen, business, cleaning the house (I don't ALWAYS have this feeling, of course)—that when anything is done "correctly," or wholesomely, it was done with this heart felt "passion."

If the teachings say "drop all passions," but passion feels so much like a heart-felt, totally present, in the moment response to such situations, then what is this "passion" that the sutras speak of?
    My name is: Jordan.

Hi,

How are you? Boy, you move around. In Mexico now I see.

In this Practice we drop all Passions, all attractions and aversions, Gone Gone Gone. Simultaneously, we are human beings who may live and savor all the Passions of life ... love, happiness, sadness, feelings of disapproval or loss. And at the same Timeless-Time, we are not prisoners of life's passions, and do not fall into excess until we drown. We avoid the Passions of Greed, Anger, Ignorance such as Jealousy and the rest.

All at Once, As One. All Life's Sharp Pieces as Peaceful Wholeness. It ain't rocket science.

I hope that helps.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hey, Jundo. I am actually in Bali now. I plan to be here for quite a while.

Thanks for that; it did help.

I've been thinking about that one for many years. I would wonder: when I get that feeling that everything is right about what I'm doing, should I count this as passion—should I count this as wrong? Then I would think that if it is wrong, then what a waste of existence!

Bali sounds lovely. Hope your long stay there is enjoyable.

I think when you feel that everything is right, enjoy it, but don't grasp at it.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thanks, Amelia. Living in Bali and vacationing in Bali are two different things, but, yea, it is lovely both ways. Don't grasp at it, ehh? What kind of Zen garble is that?!

I don't know why but in my narrow point of view, the more I practice, the harder I find it to engage in what I used to be passionate about.

In part it's the fact that I am not a boy anymore, of course. Interests change in time.

But now I also find it hard to be all explosive about things in life. Stuff like movies, music, writing, martial arts, sci if... I love it all. I enjoy all that. But I can go without and the world keeps on turning.

A still afternoon watching the ducks swim in the lake is all I need now to be happy. Or 3 hours waiting at the dentist. It's all the same.

I guess in Zen we learn how to embrace good things and bad things a like. At the same time, but with a tendency to equanimity.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

What I have learned from my Zen practice is we don't cling to a feeling or moment (whether it is good or bad), but appreciate it for what it is and then let it pass. We allow ourselves to laugh, cry, have joy, be sad, or whatever the moment brings us. However, life is found in the here and now, if we hang on to a moment to long (whether it was good or bad) we are missing life.

Metta, Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    What I have learned from my Zen practice is we don't cling to a feeling or moment (whether it is good or bad), but appreciate it for what it is and then let it pass. We allow ourselves to laugh, cry, have joy, be sad, or whatever the moment brings us. However, life is found in the here and now, if we hang on to a moment to long (whether it was good or bad) we are missing life.

Metta, Troy
    I believe this is a sound way to live.

Gassho, J

PS - The last minute and a half (from about 3:30) of this story by American Comedian Louis C.K. seems to many folks like such a moment ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post110102
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post

Metta, Troy
    Very wise words!! Passion without attachment came to my mind as I was reading your post.

Bali, wow, I've never been, but I've heard how beautiful it is there.

Treena