Thread: Yamabushi and heart sutra

Myoshin

Yamabushi and heart sutra

Hi,

I discovered a japanese version of Hannya Shingyo chanting by Yamabushi.
    Any questions, Yamabushi (warrior monks) do still exist in japan?
    Why a different version with an extra introduction saying what?

Here the video and the commentary from the person who posted this vid

This the first basic buddhist text that all praticioner must chant & remember well.
    It's the shorter one & the Yamabushi of shugendo during mountain praticing are chanting in less than 3 minuts; During walking body is becoming hot & during chanting prayer time the body unoving is getting cold easier... because of speedy & powerful chanting for Yamabushi
    Each buddhist school have its oner style for chanting. This version is SHOGOIN temple of HONZAN SHUGEN branch of Kyoto chan ting by laypepole and religious Yamabushi.
    This sutra give explanations about the VACUITY (KU, sunyata in sanscrit) of all phenomenal
    To discover & attest the Vacuity (kû) is the first step on the buddhist Path.

Gasshou
    SKG

Gassho

Myoshin

Hi Myoshin,

In my understanding, Yamabushi are not "warrior monks". It is a centuries old sect of Buddhist "mountain ascetics" that came out of esoteric Buddhism (Shingon-Tendai), with a healthy dose of Shinto and mountain/nature worship tossed in. Most I have met these days (not too many around) are not full time ascetics (there may still be some), but "weekend practitioners" who go out into the mountains on their holidays from their day jobs, wife and kids. Still, they can be very serious about it even if just on the weekends. The extra chanting and bell ringing one hears around the Heart Sutra are various esoteric Dharani and such.

Here is a little information ...

http://www.tofugu.com/2011/10/05/jap...ofugu+(Tofugu)

I had a chance to do a little Shugendo waterfall practice a few years ago ... COLD!!!!! ...

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-06-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Dear Myoshin,

though I still haven't managed to see the full film, the following documentary is supposed to be both beautiful and insightful:

Gassho and please tell me what the film is like in case you stumble over a copy,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Myoshin
    Thank you Hans,

I can't find the wole documentary, if I discover it on the net I will let you know

Gassho

Myoshin

One thing that Hans raised that I want to underline: I said:

Most I have met these days (not too many around) are not full time ascetics (there may still be some), but "weekend practitioners" who go out into the mountains on their holidays from their day jobs, wife and kids. Still, they can be very serious about it even if just on the weekends
    There is an amazing cultural characteristic in Japan, among so many Japanese I know, that if they have a "weekend pursuit" or "hobby" or "side interest" they take it to heights of energy and seriousness that are hard to express. For example, I know a couple of Japanese friends who are amateur "weekend" Jazz musicians and fans, yet have honed their talents to professional levels and know about every old song or record one can name. It is truly amazing the hours and dedication they put into it. This characteristic is truly one of the great strengths of Japanese culture.

So, even if many or most of the Yamabushi are "weekend Yamabushi", that does not mean they don't pour their whole heart and soul into it.

Gassho, J

PS - I found the movie on Amazon for about $20 US.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y9039M
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-08-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

What beautiful video clips. Thank you for sharing.