Thread: Guide to Basic Sitting (bowing question)

Guide to Basic Sitting (bowing question)

Hi All,

I am not sure if I am putting this post in the right section, but here goes anyway. I am not new to Zazen, but as instructed in the intro email, I am starting everything from the beginning here. In the PDF file on basic Zazen instructions, I have a question about the bowing directions. In the group I most recently sat with, we would stand behind the zabuton and zafu and bow toward the wall. Then, we would turn and bow toward the room (i.e., with our backs toward the wall and the zabuton and zafu between us and the wall). In the images in the PDF, the monk stands to the side of the zabuton and zafu and bows parallel to the wall. Does it make any difference? Is one way more "correct" than the other? Also, as an aside, this is the first time I have ever heard anything about the placement of the tag on the zafu.

Rick

Hi Rick,

As to bowing, I think the picture is a bit confusing. He is meant to be standing behind the Zabuton and Zafu, just as you describe. I think the picture was taken in a corner of the room, so it is a bit deceiving. Sorry for that. There is no "correct or incorrect", but that is the way we do it too.

As to the tag ... well, you learned something. All the tags nice and in a line.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks, Jundo! I learned something else from your photos. I have actually never seen a Zafu before with a bright white tag like in those photos. Are Zafus like those traditional in some way? Those photos led me to inspect mine further. Mine does have a "strip" like in the photos above, but it is black (the same color as the rest of the Zafu). There is a very small tag (about an inch long) that sticks out from the side of the strip. That is apparently for listing the manufacturer's website URL though.

Gassho,
    Rick

I believe the tag is white so that the monk or temple can write their name on the Zafu and not loose it. Really. Like here ..

But how messy it would look if everyone's white parts were all helter-skelter.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I see. Thanks again, Jundo.

Rick

Hi all

While we are on the subject, does anyone have a zafu/zabuton manufacturer or source that they like or prefer? I have one but I need another for my office.
    Thank you
    Gassho C

I think I picked my zafu up from the ZMM monastery store: http://www.dharma.net/monstore/.

Optionally you can build one realatively easy if your handy with a need and thread:
    http://www.enabling.org/ia/vipassana...tructions.html

I made my first one and it held up pretty darn good. Same goes for the zabuton.

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank you Shohei!

Gassho
    Clark

Mp
    Hey there Clark,

This is where I bought mine and love it.
    http://www.zenike.net/servlet/the-Za...ale/Categories

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi Shingen
    I appreciate your post
    Thank you

Gassho C

The Buckwheat Zafu Meditation Cushion from zafustore.com I can personally recommend. Also the Zabuton Meditation Mat. I also have a kapok set from dharmafield.org, but they are smaller/thinner and I think better suited for smaller-bodied people. zafustore has different sizes
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Hi Shingen
    I appreciate your post
    Thank you

Gassho C
    Very welcome Clark.

Gassho
    Shingen