Thread: Metta and Sitting for Toni Packer

Metta and Sitting for Toni Packer

Toni Packer, one of the great Teachers who sought to update and adapt the Zen message for these times and the West, is now in hospice care. I would like to dedicate all our Practice here today to her.

If you would like to read more about Toni Packer, please look her. Some say she went too far in tossing out the Baby Buddha with the Bathwater or in overly "psychologizing" Zen Practice. That is a matter of views. Maybe so but, in fact, hers is one more great experiment to make this Path relevant for our world today.

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.ph...k=view&id=2386

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-13-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks for letting us know. Bows, metta, and sitting. Thank you for posting that article.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Thank you for the info Jundo, will dedicate my morning practice and metta for her.

Gassho
    Shingen

Hello Jundo,

thank you for letting us know. This May I managed to pick up three of her books for a tiny tiny sum and was really amazed how she managed to express so much depth and clarity without referencing anything remotely Asia. Contrary to my expectations, I didn't find the things I read so far to be new agey at all.

Much Metta to her!

Deep bows and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

The Wonder of Presence is a great book. I like her message.

Will sit for Toni today.

Gassho
    Andy

Hello Jundo,

thank you for letting us know. This May I managed to pick up three of her books for a tiny tiny sum and was really amazed how she managed to express so much depth and clarity without referencing anything remotely Asian (in a cultural sense). Contrary to my expectations, I didn't find the things I read so far to be new agey at all.

Much Metta to her!

Deep bows and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

I will sit for her!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

She is an amazing teacher, radiating from a core of simplicity and unfabricated presence.

Let s sit with her.

Gassho

T.

I have never heard of Toni Packer, but after reading the link she appears to be one
    strong person of truth. I will endeavour to read more and remember what she has left for us.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Jundo,

Thanks for letting us know Jundo...Springwater is about an hour away and I had heard previously that her health had been in decline. Much metta to her, her family, and all those touched by her and the Center for whom she and her teachings are most precious.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sad news indeed.

Yes, lets sit for her this week.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Sitting this evening for a great teacher.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you for speaking of her Jundo. I will dedicate my sit this evening to her.

Gassho.
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Perhaps like myself, her passing will motivate others to study her. I will dedicate my sitting to her and the great teachers before us, known and unknown.
    Gassho
    Clark

Thank you Jundo for posting this info on Toni.

In fact, Toni's first book, The Work of this Moment, was instrumental in providing me with a more open and "non-traditional" perspective on practice. It, along with readings of Krishnamurti, resulted in my decision to leave a zen center in Ottawa where at the time I felt that some of the teacher-student hierarchy and the "my way or the highway" approach to the teachings did not align well with my own experience of awareness/mindfulness practice.

I have attended a few retreats at Springwater over the years and had the opportunity to meet with Toni once about 3 years ago. She is indeed a wonderful teacher and person. Much metta to her and the Springwater community!

And to Jundo, Taigu and the Treeleaf Sangha - a huge thank you to re-introducing me to an open, inquiring and respectful path to zazen and Zen Buddhism. I have been here since late March of this year, quietly participating with you all, so it's good to get my first post out there in honour of Toni and the folks at Springwater!

Gassho,
    Jason

Enjoyed 'the silent question: meditating in the silence of not knowing'
    thanks jundo for the update.

Much metta for a wonderful teacher who did a lot for the practice and humanity.

Gassho,

James

Just word that Toni Packer passed from this visible world.

http://sweepingzen.com/toni-packer-o...er-dies-at-86/

Nine Bows, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Deep gassho,
    Dosho