Thread: Another book

Another book

A book I recently got on my kindle and I would like to really recommand is the Esesential Dogen by Peter Levitt and Kaz Tanahashi. Yeap this is not the whole thing, just a bunch of extracts, quotes and bibs and bobs from the old Dogen, a reader s digest kind of version, but truly interesting if:

You want to be introduced to Dogen in a gentle and easy going way,
    You are interested in the readers ' choices, what these guys have picked up is inspiring to say the least,
    You have a few bucks to spend,
    You would like to read the very interesting foreword of P. Levitt,
    And that's it really.

Enjoy!

Gassho

Taigu

Thanks. Having been separated from the paper volumes dogen will now appear on kindle phone whenever -)

Mp
    Thank you Taigu, I have added it to my list.

Gassho
    Shingen

On my ever expanding list of books. Thank you Taigu my favorite reads are that of Dogen

Gassho,

James

Just bought the book. Thanks.

Gassho, John

Thank you Taigu you had me at easy introduction to Dogen

gassho,
    Joe

Nindo
    Thank you Taigu. I also very much recommend the poetry of Peter Levitt. I recently finished Within Within and was blown away.

BOWING FORMALLY

A snowy heron
    on the snow field
    where winter grass is unseen
    hides itself
    in its own figure

...from THE ESSENTIAL DOGEN...
    Last edited by Ed; 08-09-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Thank you Taigu. A more easily digestible look at Dogen for this constipated brain.
    Gassho
    Seisou - Noble/Vital Grass (or just Jeff)

Wonderful book! Perfect for a dummy like me. :-)

Gassho, John

Thank you for the tip!
    Gassho, Kaishin
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

The chapter titled THE ROBE is such a heartfelt reading: Dogen, in China sees for the first time ever the monks reciting the verse of the okesa before puting it on. Surprised at its simplicity, he cries at the beauty of the moment, such a short time, to put the kesa or rakus on.
    Dogen is moved to tears of joy, and also regret at the same time, that no one had told him before of this wonderful, living tradition bringing to the moment the entire transmission of realization from Shakyamuni on to him.
    Tanahashi's translation is wonderfully alive. short, pithy and powerful.
    gassho.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Is this book the same in content as his Moon in a Dewdrop?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

no, it is not. It is a selection of short yet inspiring quotes from all the works of Dogen organized by themes such as : practice, wisdom, robe, time, space etc.

gassho

T.

Thanks Taigu. A very useful book; well organised and edited. Let's the reader jump right in.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    no, it is not. It is a selection of short yet inspiring quotes from all the works of Dogen organized by themes such as : practice, wisdom, robe, time, space etc.

gassho

T.
    Gracias, Taigu....peace..Erik

This book is extraordinary. Best intro to Dogen ever.

I'd like to add that if someone were to approach me and ask what books would be most important to start them on Dogen's way, I'd say this new book by Tanahashi/Levitt, Opening The Hand of Thought, and Realizing Genjokoan by Okumura.

Thanks Taigu! Gonna pick this one up today.

Gassho,

Risho

Uchiyama Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by acss1 View Post
    I'd like to add that if someone were to approach me and ask what books would be most important to start them on Dogen's way, I'd say this new book by Tanahashi/Levitt, Opening The Hand of Thought, and Realizing Genjokoan by Okumura.

Amen.
    Both titles above are solid practice material. I would add, as I have said before here, COMMENTARY ON GENJOKOAN edited by several teachers including Okamura Roshi. The last commentary is Uchiyama Roshi's and it is a master's grand piece (IMHO): what patience and compassion he shows for posterity in sharing these teachings so clearly. He does it as well in OPENING THE HAND OF THOUGHT.

REALISING is already a classic rounded up nicely by LIVING BY VOW. Okamura's nex book is on the Precepts and it shows this teacher's commitment to leaving a solid record of his experience, knowledge and passion for Dogen Zenji and Zen Buddhism and his dedication to teaching in the West.

What these teacher's have in common is a regard for zazen as the pivot point of Dogen's practice, with studies and ceremony important but zazen, it seems to me, central. Okamura was, as some may already know, Uchiyama Roshi's deciple.

In gassho.
    Last edited by Ed; 09-03-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Okamur and Uchiyama's relation
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa