Thread: Don't get caught

Don't get caught

If you are a big fish, you'll be a good catch, you won' escape nets of all sorts.

The thing is not to be stuck in the absolute, not to be drunk with the relative. This is the meaning of "beyond". "Beyond" does not point at a distant realisation, a shore to reach, "beyond" as here and now free from habits and expectations. Non attachment is another way to look at it. Not dwelling expresses the same truth.

This is also why Dogen's teachings are filled with mists, clouds, rivers, walking mountains, smoke, not just to convey an impression of nature and his love for practice in the deep valleys, but also to point at the real transient body of all things, free from the dual and non dual. Killing the devil and killing Buddha at once is our practice, beyond mundane and sacred.

"I have got it" is as irrelevant as " I have lost it".

This is the groundless ground on which face to face transmission can take place.

Gassho,

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post

Taigu
    Thank you teacher...deep bows

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

_/|\_

Thank you Taigu. I needed to hear this.

Gassho.
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Mp
    Wonderful Taigu, thank you.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you teacher.

Gassho,
    Joe

Thank you Taigu. Very insightful and balancing.

Gassho, John

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    ... beyond mundane and sacred.
    Thank you my Teacher

Gassho

David

Thank you Taigu.

But what then is this face to face transmission? And to what end?

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

Hi Enkyo, Face to face transmission is called denpo or shiho, it is when a priest or a lay person is given the authorisation to teach and transmit the teachings through a very specific ceremony. In a way, this is a form of official recognition to avoid fraud and provide continuity in the way teachings and practice are handed over.

Gassho

Taigu

Oh I see. That's for reeeeeaaaaaly big fish then .

Something that hangs freely in the void of not this and not that ( in the Dogen sense of these words). My intuitive reaction, the ring of the bell to this, is a feeling I have for a while now: Umpf! and Bah! Please, just let me sit and work as often as I can safely in homeplace shikantaza. Chop wood me and fetch water me and see it all as it is. Void me but full me, so what? "This" is not what we think this is, and does not change anything. A bit tiered of straining and reaching ( not meant at your fine words dear Taigu but at word smart "Talking Zen" instead of sitting, silent and stilled Zen)

Rocks rolling uphill from the desert
    Clouds trown into the dust
    Walking in the illusion
    Trying to bring ease where possible
    while "I" sits in reality.

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

"beyond" as here and now free from habits and expectations.
    Thank you Taigu. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you Taigu.
    Gassho, Jakudo
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Thank you for the teaching Taigu.

Gassho, John

Thank you so much, teacher!

Gassho,

Timo

". . .Zen practice is sometimes the moment when, a voice you know says,without warning: "Catch!" - Koun

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

thank you Taigu for this teaching. thank you drocloce for the koun quote, a lot of pointers here.

Bulgarian proverb (for big fish?): if you wish to drown, do not torture yourself with shallow water.

gassho, Rob
    and neither are they otherwise.

Thank you for this Taigu. I will be chewing it over in my head for a while

Gassho,

James

Wonderfully ordinary
    Deep gassho
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Thank you for the teaching Taigu.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

A slippery fish to catch indeed. Yet that moment when the fisherman does not know if the fish is caught is the most interesting. Nice Sensei Taigu!

Clark

Haha, thank you Teacher. After three reads I gave up - and it finally clicked.
    :-)

Gassho,

Al

Alman,

For me it was 7 reads. A great teaching, and confusing in its simplicity. I think zen practice teaches you a new type of reading, a sort of mindful digestion like after a delicious snack.
    I took an art class once in high school. I just could NOT draw that damn bicycle. Teacher told me, "Stop looking at the page. Look at the damn bicycle."

Taigu,
    Thank you for these teachings. Amid the mist, through the smoke ...
    Gassho
    Myozan

for me, 50 years of reading.

gassho

T.

coughing...Myozan...coughing

gassho

T.